Official Round 4 Vs Warrior

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to be an unpopular opinion, but I thought it was a decent showing. Our defence looked organised for the most part, we put in a solid effort after a brutal game last week and we really got no luck with the whistle (barring the Kikau strip/save).
Agreed. I thought our defence was solid today. Was a massive ask to go over there, after playing in the heat last weekend. We put in a solid performance. Yes our attack wasn’t the best, but we didn’t really get much of an opportunity to attack. Only real chance in the 2nd half was the bit at the end where we were spent. A lot of positives. As I’ve said, this team is a lot more resilient than previous years. Remember last years game against the warriors? We leaked what 4 tries at the end and the score blew out.

You can bag out the result, but they team played tough and fought to the end. We actually have a team we can be proud of. Get around them. Results will come and our attack will click.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The obstruction on Reed was the wrong call by the rule book, but can anyone honestly say we were the better team today?
2 issues I took out of today is that our use of the interchange is ridiculous and whilst Mahoney is playing awesome he is over playing his hand at times and it has made our halves totally shut up shop. I would like yo see him play more like he did at Parra and get early wide ball to the halves when we are inside the 20. With that noted it might be time to try someone different at 7.
Yeh with a more dominant half Reed’s play would change and improve. I gave Flanno 5 or so rounds at start season. I think his time is running out. Flanno can defend well, does some good 1%’ers, throw the odd good pass, but is not the organising schemer we need to break the line.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m disappointed we lost of course but a lot to like

We came close to beating the Wahs on their turf with 15 and a half players (Tanner not used, Brown gone half a game)

We still don’t have our starting props

We played with the worst attacking 7 in nrl history

We got dudded the obstruction call on sj try that won the game

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m disappointed we lost of course but a lot to like

We came close to beating the Wahs on their turf with 15 and a half players (Tanner not used, Brown gone half a game)

We still don’t have our starting props

We played with the worst attacking 7 in nrl history

We got dudded the obstruction call on sj try that won the game
Yes we did well, as I said pregame I was most worried about this game than any other this season. Unfortunately we probably don't have much more in us until we get some props back and a half finally decides to step up.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burto and flanno both ordinary. No plan in attack all game. Watching Johnson today was brilliant. Had a hand in every set every major decision.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it was a bloody quick review! There are reviews and there are “reviews”. Clearly, all tries are supposed to be reviewed objectively and effectively - this one was not! The question is why??
Mate I agree. It was a deadset no try.

But all tries are reviewed the same way now. The refs decision is only taken into account when the video ref doesn’t have definitive evidence to overturn the call. That’s what happened with the Kikau decision.

If ref called no try on the Johnson try it probably gets disallowed. All the Fox commentators said it was no try for sure.

I don’t think it cost us the game though. We were gone with 20 to go and they would have scored even it was disallowed.

Too many middles missing

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It falls on Burton too, stop making excuses for him. One of the highest paid 5/8's in the game and he does fucking nothing.
100% .... many criticizing Flanagan appear to be giving Burton a pass mark.

Must be watching a different game to me .... he wasn't bad but he isn't justifying his pay cheque in any way shape or form. Just doesn't put his stamp on a game.

During the last ten when we had the ball on their line i thought to myself, who can get us home.

Sadly, i came up with squat .... we simply do not have that star player.

I still believe we need to sign an experienced half ... KO looks a 5/8, rather than an organizing run the show type, and he is still a baby.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should of been six again in the final five minutes but considering the lack of halves leadership they were really good and we can say its a good squad, spewin Mahoney ran it dead on the last and should of slung it back to the half for a high ball

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burto and flanno both ordinary. No plan in attack all game. Watching Johnson today was brilliant. Had a hand in every set every major decision.
Yeah but we got dominated through the middle and only lost by 2 so how brilliant was he really?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Must be watching a different game to me .... he wasn't bad but he isn't justifying his pay cheque in any way shape or form. Just doesn't put his stamp on a game.

During the last ten when we had the ball on their line i thought to myself, who can get us home.

I still believe we need to sign an experienced half ... KO looks a 5/8, rather than an organizing run the show type, and he is still a baby.
The Burton circle jerk is ridiculous, literally everyone but him gets blamed. We all know Flanagan is not good enough at halfback but Burton is still getting good ball from Mahoney multiple times through out the game and instead of using that ball he just plays one paced and passes well before the line. As I said during preseason Burton has no excuses this year with Mahoney, Kikau and Fox all around him and unfortunately for us he isn't stepping up.

I'm getting worried, like you I think Karl is a 5/8 at this stage yet so many of our fans want to throw him into halfback so soon to "help" our marquee 5/8....the logic is deadset backwards.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should of been six again in the final five minutes but considering the lack of halves leadership they were really good and we can say its a good squad, spewin Mahoney ran it dead on the last and should of slung it back to the half for a high ball
Yep not a great decision but if you have a look at it CNK was a metre offside at marker.

And we were a metre from their goal line. He was literally standing next to him. I reckon he tried for a repeat set.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
our bench rotation is pretty poor though that's 2 weeks in a row we've only played with 16 players
I don't think using 16 is really an issue, other teams do it at times and even when they don't the 4th player barely gets a run. It was more an issue today considering we lost Brown.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hard to argue with any of that.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate I agree. It was a deadset no try.

But all tries are reviewed the same way now. The refs decision is only taken into account when the video ref doesn’t have definitive evidence to overturn the call. That’s what happened with the Kikau decision.

If ref called no try on the Johnson try it probably gets disallowed. All the Fox commentators said it was no try for sure.

I don’t think it cost us the game though. We were gone with 20 to go and they would have scored even it was disallowed.

Too many middles missing
IT did cost us the game.

It was the points that put the Warriors in front.

Even though we were cooked they still couldn't put more points on us.

And they only scored those points because the refs 'f@#ked up'.

If we deserved to lose why could they not score more points after that?

We might not have deserved to win but neither did the Warriors.

And they only won because of a refereeing mistake.