Official Round 3 v Manly Match Discussion

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rule regarding differential scrum penalties has been changed? The reason I ask this is because in my day the only time you could kick for goal from a scrum penalty was for foul play in the scrum or referee abuse.

Breaking too early just like offside from a scrum does not allow a shot for goal. Thus Cummins in my opinion was wrong to allow us to level the scores at 12 all.

Anyone know if this is another rule that has been changed by the constant fiddling of the NRL

No point sending a query to them, they don't reply.
Wondered the same. Found this though.........commentators seemed to not be phased....
Differential Penalty 1. In respect of misconduct at the scrum other than foul play or the use of offensive or obscene language a Referee shall award a differential penalty which differs only from a penalty kick in that a goal cannot be scored from it. The differential penalty applies to all players, even those outside the scrum, who should be penalised where they offend. A full penalty is awarded for an offence which occurs before the scrum is properly formed.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did you also see he is referee for Tigers v Warriors? Pulling 2 shifts this weekend, as a number of them do.
Some rotate between ref and video, others ref and touchline, as well as double shifts of touch line or ref a game of WNRL.

Vlandys cut back the amount of refs during Covid whilst also removing the two refs on field
Yeah saw that. Don't mind him as an official actually. Improved heaps from his early days in Reggies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our play the ball speed was poor, but can't help but think Manly was the cause of that. Plenty of laying all over us.

We missed more tackles, made more tackles and had more ineffective tackles...Lost the penalty count and the infringements .. notice very few inside the tens given these days..

Jackson got in the way a few times and Burton had a few errors and penalties in his game. Had chances but just could not get there.....of to a flying start but cruelled by errors and penalties...we nee to be better.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How long is Hethrington out for he was going great?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our play the ball speed was poor, but can't help but think Manly was the cause of that. Plenty of laying all over us.

We missed more tackles, made more tackles and had more ineffective tackles...Lost the penalty count and the infringements .. notice very few inside the tens given these days..

Jackson got in the way a few times and Burton had a few errors and penalties in his game. Had chances but just could not get there.....of to a flying start but cruelled by errors and penalties...we nee to be better.
Yet not one penalty blown for it.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wondered the same. Found this though.........commentators seemed to not be phased....
Differential Penalty 1. In respect of misconduct at the scrum other than foul play or the use of offensive or obscene language a Referee shall award a differential penalty which differs only from a penalty kick in that a goal cannot be scored from it. The differential penalty applies to all players, even those outside the scrum, who should be penalised where they offend. A full penalty is awarded for an offence which occurs before the scrum is properly formed.
I found the same thing on google. Clearly Cummins got that wrong. Should have been a differential. Also shows that Manly players didn't know the rule. I wonder if Des mentioned in his Press Conference I also wonder if Annesley will mention it in his weekly briefing. Making a mistake in the laws of the game is grounds for being dropped.

As for commentators well it doesn't surprise me they failed to mention it. Rules are not always their strongest suit.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham trained as Barrett’s first choice halfback in the preseason- was set back by COVID/ Fiji Xmas trip. Rather than going with Flanagan as second string, Barrett insisted on the “manufactured” half Averillo….. hopefully Flanno has a blinder tonight & J Cook continues improving….until then
I don't believe this "manufactured half" bullshit, Barret for the first 2 games was playing 2 x running 5/8's, same as Melbourne and Cronulla, with a backline structure to suit that. I saw nothing that resembled Averillo being coached into playing like a "game controlling" 1/2.

FWIW Wakeham had no more time off over Xmas than the others.

Always a Bulldog

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting everything into perspective.
Goal kicking let us down. Burto kicks those conversions Dogs Win.

I noticed Burtos kicking at around 55%ish. Do we have better goal kickers on the field?

Another solution could be Bring back ol blue eyes holland he was kicking at over 80% use him nfl style.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst it was certainly disappointing to be so close and lose again, it wasn't disheartening. We were in the game for 80 mins like last week. How many times could we say that last year ? We lacked direction and composure. Wakeham going off for a while didnt help. I know this wont be very popular, but we could do worse than give Flanno another shot, his goal kicking and kicking in general play would take some pressure off Burto, and his organisational skills could only help our attack have some structure. If he takes the conversions tonight, we win.
F Flanagen his goalkicking is not that good for US and who the hell wants to watch him kick he reminds me of Jamie Soward

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
dogluva,

Half an hour ago, I rang the Bulldogs Membership Department, who suggested I send an email to the generic address, info@bulldogs.com.au explaining my query. The gentleman said he will forward my email on to the football department and get them to follow it up with the NRL I have more hope of getting an answer from the club than I do from no real leadership.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wonder if it was the plan to play Jackson at 13 or was it Asiata. I think we look a lot different if Asiata was there with his ball playing ability.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was trying to be sarcastic but it went over everyone's head. All good
You have to use the tongue out with the wink emoji. That’s how the TK rolls. A bit different to the Bulldogs Debate Page.

Hey BTW, where’s your old aviator with you in the stands at Stadium Australia with your head turned around smiling at the camera?

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe this "manufactured half" bullshit, Barret for the first 2 games was playing 2 x running 5/8's, same as Melbourne and Cronulla, with a backline structure to suit that. I saw nothing that resembled Averillo being coached into playing like a "game controlling" 1/2.

FWIW Wakeham had no more time off over Xmas than the others.

Always a Bulldog
Don’t compare Barrett/Bulldogs to Bellamy/Storm you lose the little credibility you have when defending Barrett and his zany team selections/game plans.
For the record, Wakeham contracted COVID over the Xmas break on a trip to Fiji, setting back his preseason preparation by 2weeks over his teammates….fact check with the coaching staff

PS
Averillo is not a half, he never was!his most effective position is at centre, at NRL level though he doesn’t have the defensive aspect to be at least competent.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Now my team …. I was really really disappointed with them this week , I couldn’t give a shit they won as we cannot give a good team that much start and hope to do what we did on Saturday night . It’s a shit performance and a flukey win so was not happy at all
The Mrs couldn’t understand hahah

Chin up fellas I’m sure you will have some great wins this year
Talk about a game of two halves...

So you are putting the second half down as much to Titans poor defense as anything?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His conversion attempts weren't horid.
One hit the post, the other just missed from the sideline.
I know Garrick had same type of kicks (10m infield and sideline) and nailed them both but he's a seasoned 85-90% goalkicker and has probably been practising at brookvale all season.

Blaming the goalkicks is a cop-out.
All tries were scored in the first half.
We had all second half to win the game and couldn't. Blame the attack.
Two tries from each team, wet on a soggy Brookvale oval. Conversations are a premium in those conditions. Our two tries gave us 8 points, Manly’s two tries gave them 12 points, of course you can blame his missed conversion after Wakeham scored. It was a sitter!

He converts that and it’s a totally different feeling today. 2/3 to start the season is a good springboard for confidence and has us sitting comfortably in the top 8. Buys us time until our attack starts flowing. How many times in the past did we win games because of Elmasri’s boot. Going up by 6 points is critical in the modern game. I got no issues with missed goals especially if they are from the sideline, but Burton should have eaten up the first conversion. It was like 15 meters from the side of the posts. In the context of the game it was critical

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two tries from each team, wet on a soggy Brookvale oval. Conversations are a premium in those conditions. Our two tries gave us 8 points, Manly’s two tries gave them 12 points, of course you can blame his missed conversion after Wakeham scored. It was a sitter!

He converts that and it’s a totally different feeling today. 2/3 to start the season is a good springboard for confidence and has us sitting comfortably in the top 8. Buys us time until our attack starts flowing. How many times in the past did we win games because of Elmasri’s boot. Going up by 6 points is critical in the modern game. I got no issues with missed goals especially if they are from the sideline, but Burton should have eaten up the first conversion. It was like 15 meters from the side of the posts. In the context of the game it was critical
I don't disagree on the importance of conversions but it's all in the timing of them.

Given we had a whole half to score a 4 pointer and we couldn't is a much bigger problem.

On a 5th tackle play late in the game inside Manly 20m, Wakeham shapes to kick but decides to pass to Burton who inexplicably decides to run and gets caught for a turnover. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Get that in the ingoal and we force a drop out. Can't believe we can lapse in concentration with everything on the line.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the same thing on google. Clearly Cummins got that wrong. Should have been a differential. Also shows that Manly players didn't know the rule. I wonder if Des mentioned in his Press Conference I also wonder if Annesley will mention it in his weekly briefing. Making a mistake in the laws of the game is grounds for being dropped.

As for commentators well it doesn't surprise me they failed to mention it. Rules are not always their strongest suit.
Fox commentators queried it immediately but we're waiting to pick up something from the refs mic to explain it. I got the feeling, commentators knew the ref can blow a non-differential penalty in circumstances but just didn't know the reason.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
F Flanagen his goalkicking is not that good for US and who the hell wants to watch him kick he reminds me of Jamie Soward
Flanagan would take 5mins to kick from right in front.

We could be 8 points down with 6mins to go and he will use up his 5mins just to make sure he doesn't miss.

Fekk him off

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rule regarding differential scrum penalties has been changed? The reason I ask this is because in my day the only time you could kick for goal from a scrum penalty was for foul play in the scrum or referee abuse.

Breaking too early just like offside from a scrum does not allow a shot for goal. Thus Cummins in my opinion was wrong to allow us to level the scores at 12 all.

Anyone know if this is another rule that has been changed by the constant fiddling of the NRL

No point sending a query to them, they don't reply.
Yeah, the rule changed last year

Scrums
The ARL Commission determined scrums as part of the game’s DNA. To increase the integrity of scrums, the referee will call "break" when satisfied the ball is out of a scrum.

Players will not be permitted to break from a scrum until the referee makes the call. Where players break before the call of "BREAK", the referee will award a full penalty. The team receiving the penalty will also have the option of re-packing the scrum.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fox commentators queried it immediately but we're waiting to pick up something from the refs mic to explain it. I got the feeling, commentators knew the ref can blow a non-differential penalty in circumstances but just didn't know the reason.
Foul play or referee abuse During the scrum.