Official Round 3 : Bulldogs vs Tigers discussion

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not sure what you're on about bro, I don't have Foxtel so don't have access to any of that stuff.
Wasn't it Bob Hawke who said no kennel member would live without Foxtel by 1990?

Seriously though, How do you watch the wrestling?

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said GB! I actually feared for the players yesterday. In the blazing sun with temps that high, I honestly am amazed they didn’t drop like flies. You could see on their faces at times, how tough it was. I remember noticing Avo, grimace on his face, still trying but only able to run at half speed. That’s why I’m just happy to get the 2 points and move on to no more days like that. Next fortnight should be mid 20s hence no issues. We saw how sharp they were versus Melbourne, on a cool noght. The style Cam has them playing, is tough in yesterday’s conditions. Cam and Reed fobbed off suggestions the game should have been postponed, but that’s the mentality they need to have as professionals.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Having said all that it is long overdue that No Real Leadership woke up that scheduling should not be about pandering to TV stations. NRL say that player welfare is important. Saying that and doing something about it are two different things.
Some of your comments I think are fair but ‘not pandering to TV stations’ simply isn’t realistic. They pour the billions in that pay the players via club grants which are managed by the cap. Without them the game is park football only.

Also when doing something as complex as the draw there’s simply no way to predict a day of extreme heat in advance. In the absence of postponing the game entirely, measures taken yesterday including drinks breaks after 20min of both halves and the extended half time break were reasonable to manage the heat.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some of your comments I think are fair but ‘not pandering to TV stations’ simply isn’t realistic. They pour the billions in that pay the players via club grants which are managed by the cap. Without them the game is park football only.

Also when doing something as complex as the draw there’s simply no way to predict a day of extreme heat in advance. In the absence of postponing the game entirely, measures taken yesterday including drinks breaks after 20min of both halves and the extended half time break were reasonable to manage the heat.
You‘re correct in saying there is no way of knowing how hot it will be early in the season. But it is something that potentially needs to be factored in, just in case. They do this already with no 2pm Sunday game, and a 615 Sunday night game instead. Yet they play a 2pm local time game on the Gold Coast, which does not make any sense at all.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe we let him kill us with the one weapon he has. Watching their previous games, he was only just missing making linebreaks by being a bit too slow. Yesterday when the floodgates opened for them, he had some slow, tired players that gave him the extra space he needed. He’s always been quick, so it was my only concern, and it came to pass with the conditions/our lack of fitness. I guess in a way it makes the win more enjoyable, because it was bound to happen eventually. They took advantage of their quick players in Brooks, Staines and Naden.
Every time i see him running out there my mind goes to cartoon mode & i see him as a Ren & Stimpy style sausage dog...i cant believe the short legged little prick ran through us as he did!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You‘re correct in saying there is no way of knowing how hot it will be early in the season. But it is something that potentially needs to be factored in, just in case. They do this already with no 2pm Sunday game, and a 615 Sunday night game instead. Yet they play a 2pm local time game on the Gold Coast, which does not make any sense at all.
It was unseasonably hot, no way it should be that hot in mid-March so it’s rare. Belmore was another factor for not pushing back the game: the lights at Belmore no longer meet NRL criteria and that’s why Belmore games are day games now not played at night, so starting at 6.15pm wasn’t an option yesterday. If the game was at Accor, maybe, hence why I said I think they did everything they could given the limitations. Reed fobbed it off during the presser too saying they trained to those conditions in pre-season.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bateman probably wishes that he stayed in England or signed with us.
He looks a very good player for sure I never saw much of him last stint, bit rusty but was in everything for the ***** oops I mean Tiges.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really stressful watching that game at Belmore, if we had lost it I honestly wouldn't want to play another single game there. Once the emotions settled it was interesting watching the replay afterwards. A few things I noticed 2nd time around (many I'm sure have been covered).

- Burton was my MoM. Had a great all round game and his try was an absolute pearler.
- Alamoti's best game in first grade. It was brilliant centre work for Addo Carr's 2nd and so refreshing to see vs Schoupp who would have 100% gone himself.
- Bench is a massive issue and almost cost us the game. Aside from some flimsy defense on the right, those x3 Tigers tries were due to the Tigers bringing on fresh pairs of legs with Wakeham and our boys being out on their feet due to essentially a 3 man bench. Agree with those saying Topine would've been a smart inclusion, just someone who can tackle their ass off and take some tough runs. Aside from that Tanner doesn't offer much, Brown is decent but not convinced that he should be playing in the forwards and Waddell is a penalty machine.
- We botched about 4-5 genuine try scoring opps because we couldn't find the last pass or our handling let us down.

All in all, at this early stage doesn't matter how you win, it's as long as you win. We're showing some really good signs in attack and defense. Ciraldo just needs to find a better balance with our bench.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Wasn't it Bob Hawke who said no kennel member would live without Foxtel by 1990?

Seriously though, How do you watch the wrestling?
I was able to watch the NRL with the Telstra live pass (before they stuffed that up and moved to Kayo) and I vowed not to give any business to Kayo after that.

I don't really watch wrestling anymore, but can catch up on YouTube every now and then. Also, WWE's method of making all their shows longer and longer is bad. I'm not going to spend 5 hours watching a PPV. In fact WrestleMania goes over 2 days now. Don't they think people have other things to do with their time?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was able to watch the NRL with the Telstra live pass (before they stuffed that up and moved to Kayo) and I vowed not to give any business to Kayo after that.

You do realise that kayo is owned by foxtel?

So if you vow not to give kayo your business you still are by being a foxtel subscriber

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Going to give it to adam doueihi my son goes to the same school as his daughter haha

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really stressful watching that game at Belmore, if we had lost it I honestly wouldn't want to play another single game there. Once the emotions settled it was interesting watching the replay afterwards. A few things I noticed 2nd time around (many I'm sure have been covered).

- Burton was my MoM. Had a great all round game and his try was an absolute pearler.
- Alamoti's best game in first grade. It was brilliant centre work for Addo Carr's 2nd and so refreshing to see vs Schoupp who would have 100% gone himself.
- Bench is a massive issue and almost cost us the game. Aside from some flimsy defense on the right, those x3 Tigers tries were due to the Tigers bringing on fresh pairs of legs with Wakeham and our boys being out on their feet due to essentially a 3 man bench. Agree with those saying Topine would've been a smart inclusion, just someone who can tackle their ass off and take some tough runs. Aside from that Tanner doesn't offer much, Brown is decent but not convinced that he should be playing in the forwards and Waddell is a penalty machine.
- We botched about 4-5 genuine try scoring opps because we couldn't find the last pass or our handling let us down.

All in all, at this early stage doesn't matter how you win, it's as long as you win. We're showing some really good signs in attack and defense. Ciraldo just needs to find a better balance with our bench.
If we could have Sutton a bit more fresh to hold down the middle D in the last 20mins.

Brown and Waddell are actually solid options but we need more firepower that can change momentum if required.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
You do realise that kayo is owned by foxtel?

So if you vow not to give kayo your business you still are by being a foxtel subscriber
Nah man, I'm not a Foxtel subscriber either. If I had Fox I could watch the footy.

All in all though I'm not that annoyed because in 2013 with the shoulder charge removal thing and 1 punch sin bin bullshit, my love for the game to a sharp nose-dive.

These days, sure, I still love my club and want them to win, the game itself though is piece of eggplant shit.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Great summary, the other thing to add here is whilst Flanno cops his fair share, particularly with his attacking game, he does some of the unheralded things really well, his defence is extremely good for a bloke his size and made some first class legs tackles at critical moments - he’s one of the best defenders in his position and he didn’t miss a shot at goal, whilst they were fairly straight forward, Burton usually sprays at least one attempt.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great summary, the other thing to add here is whilst Flanno cops his fair share, particularly with his attacking game, he does some of the unheralded things really well, his defence is extremely good for a bloke his size and made some first class legs tackles at critical moments - he’s one of the best defenders in his position and he didn’t miss a shot at goal, whilst they were fairly straight forward, Burton usually sprays at least one attempt.
Yeah flanno try saving tackles are some of the best not just this game only problem i see is when he is up at the line he is like a deer stuck in the headlights can't remember if he received the ball to late happened a couple of times though.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brown and Waddell are actually solid options...
Yeah, nah, not really.
These guys are placeholders for now.
Waddell is occupying a middle-bench spot. Any one of TPJ, Patolo, Hughes, etc will come in for him.

Brown has got the lock/backup-hooker thing going for now. Can see KO coming in for him soon enough.
Then, KO moving to Half or 5/8th at some stage with Topine moving into that role.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

This link looks dodgy but its real. Vid of Triple M Dan Ginnane going off calling the Alamonti/Ado Car try. A classic and sooo good to see someone in the media celebrating a great Bulldogs try. Watch it. Bupa beside him.

Last edited: