Official Round 3 : Bulldogs vs Tigers discussion

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed last 2 weeks we’ve been playing potters style lilke last year and ciro confirmed that in press conference .. said we tweaked a few things with potter .. good to see

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great day at the ground, amazing atmosphere.. So good to see Belmore packed and we finally get a win there.. It was actually quite comfortable in the grandstand with the shade and there was a bit of a breeze. I felt sorry for those that sat on the hill though, would have been brutal...

My daughter was our good luck charm and helped break the Belmore curse at her first game of footy.. She left to get an ice cream with my missus, Naden got the intercept, she sat back down and we scored again.. Just need to take her to every other game and we'll win the comp! Haha

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed last 2 weeks we’ve been playing potters style lilke last year and ciro confirmed that in press conference .. said we tweaked a few things with potter .. good to see
Very interesting to hear, i missed the conference. It had looked that way to the eye....happy to hear Potter is still having input, it certainly seems to suit us and the way the game has evolved.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very interesting to hear, i missed the conference. It had looked that way to the eye....happy to hear Potter is still having input, it certainly seems to suit us and the way the game has evolved.
that’s the great thing about Cameron, his opening all ears to team structures and if it means having potter input his say then it means everyone is on board and Cameron isn’t like TB or dean pay trying to do the job themselves. Interesting to see how we play against warriors who are either hot or cold can’t put your finger on it. If we nab the win against warriors then I’m gonna start getting confident That we can take it on to cowboys in round 5 at Accor

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that’s the great thing about Cameron, his opening all ears to team structures and if it means having potter input his say then it means everyone is on board and Cameron isn’t like TB or dean pay trying to do the job themselves. Interesting to see how we play against warriors who are either hot or cold can’t put your finger on it. If we nab the win against warriors then I’m gonna start getting confident That we can take it on to cowboys in round 5 at Accor
Ive seen some of the Warriors games and they have been pretty good, still hot & cold but not as much as recent years, more good than poor.
It will be a emotional/big game for them over there. If we can get it done it will be a great result.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Waŕriors will have noticed it and will be targetting him. Great game to have Big Jeral in there to steamroll their wingers and centres and provide some bullocking carries, as well as Kiraz.
No point have any attackers on the side that Flanagan is on, his delivery is woeful. Almost always choses the wrong option.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why on earth would the tigers wear their black jersey today out of all days. Black absorbs heat, they definitely would have felt the heat more than our boys.
Didn't look that way in the second half. Our middle were fu3ked and the backs did most of the work through the whole game.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didn't look that way in the second half. Our middle were fu3ked and the backs did most of the work through the whole game.
Yeh, only reason that happened was being down on 4 middles(TPJ,Thompson,Patolo,Pele) and then Ciro using only 16 players for the game and not utilising Okunbor especially considering the heat. Dare I say, if we had those 4 middle forwards available, players like King & Sutton would have had more energy in the tank and the heavy workload would have been shared around especially in the middle third of the field. The only thing that will prevent us from making the 8 this year are injuries because our depth for middles isn't great. Apart from that, I love the way Ciro coaches for a rookie coach he isn't too bad and he will get better.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was really happy to see alamoti looking for the fox and passing - didn’t see much of that from schoupp
100% mate. Thats why I reckon he was moved on.

I remember there was a play last year against the Knights when Burto put a kick over the top for the Fox but Schoupp got in the way and tried to catch it. Cost us a certain try. The fox gave him a decent spray.

Always gave his best but was quiet a selfish player.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
100% mate. Thats why I reckon he was moved on.

I remember there was a play last year against the Knights when Burto put a kick over the top for the Fox but Schoupp got in the way and tried to catch it. Cost us a certain try. The fox gave him a decent spray.

Always gave his best but was quiet a selfish player.
Haven't used the highball to JAC yet, should use it for the Warriors

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than some speed in open play Brooks offers nothing however.
I couldn’t believe we let him kill us with the one weapon he has. Watching their previous games, he was only just missing making linebreaks by being a bit too slow. Yesterday when the floodgates opened for them, he had some slow, tired players that gave him the extra space he needed. He’s always been quick, so it was my only concern, and it came to pass with the conditions/our lack of fitness. I guess in a way it makes the win more enjoyable, because it was bound to happen eventually. They took advantage of their quick players in Brooks, Staines and Naden.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When the match finished, I felt more disappointment than elation - we dominated for 65 minutes, and missed out on a chance to put them to the sword - the way many teams have done to us the past couple of years!

After I had time to reflect, I realized it was a good result. A win is a win, the things we did wrong can be fixed, and the fright that Wests gave our players will help to keep their feet on the ground.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t understand the negativity tbh. Like I get that we had disappointing periods in the last 2 weeks but honestly, I haven’t felt this good watching us in ages. There’s nothing like the contentment you get from a win, which is all that matters really. After a win, a calmness comes over me, knowing we got the job done, and I enjoy the week until the next game. 2 from 3 to start the season? Fkn oath! It sure beats being disappointed week in week out.

We are still a very new and young team, missing two of our best props! Don’t worry about how we get the wins until later in the season, when we’re (hopefully) needing to beat good teams to make/win finals. Slow and steady bby.

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My observations on yesterday‘s game.

Rugby League is not meant to be played in close to 37 degree heat.

We played the game at a very fast tempo and during the early stages of the 2nd half it was fairly obvious some of our players, particularly in the forwards were flagging.

On days like that it is essential at stages to slow the game down to a pace the team can manage.

The best way to do that is to take penalty kicks at goal when they are on offer in easy positions. If we had done that after Klemmer was penalised we would have been 14 nil up, and the Naden intercept doesn’t happen.

It is also useful to use all your bench players. Okunbor wasn’t used and Tanner didn’t exactly play big minutes. I know we are short of middles at present but surely there is someone in N.S.W. Cup who would be of more use than Okunbor.

There is also very little doubt that our best goal kicker is Flanagan who in other respects is not exactly a first grade halfback. However he is much better kicker than Burton and whilever Flanagan is in the team I believe goal kicking should be in his hands.

We have a potentially good situation with 2 kickers who kick with different feet, so Burton could perhaps be the best option for kicks out wide on the right hand side, with his ball flight more suitable to that side of the field.

Having said all that it is long overdue that No Real Leadership woke up that scheduling should not be about pandering to TV stations. NRL say that player welfare is important. Saying that and doing something about it are two different things.

A perfect example of lack of thought was Saturday‘s schedule of 3pm on the Gold Coast, 530 at Townsville and 730 at Brisbane.

The more intelligent way would have been, 5:30 Titans, 7:30 Broncos and 8:30 (QLD time) 9:30 EDT for the Cowboys. It also wouldn’t be the worst idea to conside playing a game on Monday Night, and scheduling 4pm Sunday games in bigger stadiums that cast large shadows over the playing area, and potentially reduce the impact of heat.

in 1989 Roosters Prop Danny Shepherd nearly died at the old SFS from heat exhaustion. A succession of administrative bodies did not heed that lesson. Does someone have to die before an attack of brains finds it‘s way into NRL headquarters.

All in all. We played the better football for 75% of the game, but we need to learn some lessons from this game, because in the end we could have easily lost.

Last edited: