Official Round 2 - Bulldogs vs Cowboys - Discussion Thread

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thrashed? By 6 and 8 points?
I call that a loss, not a thrashing.
A loss that was avoidable last night, mostly via poor execution and discipline from the players - dropped balls, sin bin.
Who said the last two games ? We were number 1 best completions sitting in second last in 2019

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
100% people got caught up in his hype last year. A panthers fan I work with was into me the moment we signed him, he said "the effort in his runs is always there, but wait until the honeymoon period is over". He is at a crossroads now imo, teams will keep targeting him now.
He was a breathe of fresh air. Running strong and showing enthusiasm and took the level up a notch.

The players around him bought in to his plays as well last year.

Now the team needs more and it may not be there at fullback.

Sadly not one of players look like being 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6th best in their position. Maybe we'd have a 7th best in ? Gee unfortunately I can't think of any.

That probably is the best criteria for judging the quality of the team. The Bulldogs coach has to have this team all playing at 90% of their skill and efficiency to be consistently competitive. Hard ask.

PLAYER AND THEIR RATING IN THE COMP COMPARED TO OPPOSITION

DZW 12th?
Meaney 14th?
Hoppa 8th?
R Smith 15th as a centre/8th as a winger?
Crichton 15th?
Holland?
Montoya?

Wakeham
Lewis
Foran
Cogger

Tolman
JMK
Napa

Stimson
JJ
Elliott

RFM
BRITT
RT
AVO
KATOA

Maybe I'm too harsh? Anyone else care to rate our players. The results may put it all into perspective....or make us realise the hole is deeper than we thought...and that only a supercoach could help.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes, but we lost it, rather than were beaten by a significantly better team.
We were our own worst enemy rather than being the worst football team coached by the worst coach.
I know you disagree, Pay needs to be sacked etc and that's fine, I don't really need to get into it any more.
I'm not defending Pay 100%, I never have - but this is still part of a problem not yet fully solved as I see it.
I still think he's done a decent job with a relatively inexperienced squad during his tenure and 10% of our cap sitting on the sideline for more than 50% of that time.
We can leave it there - I have personally chosen to not judge the club (the board, the coach, the team) until 2021 when we're in a much better position to compete.
Many will disagree with my view and that's fine.
Fair points and I don't think many people can really disagree with what you're saying about us losing it when you look at the stats. The dropped balls. Missed tackles etc. We were our own worst enemies. There were positives in that we scored more. As you say, we weren't flogged or anything.

I don't like Pay. You know that. I really don't think he's the answer to our problems at all, and would love to have another coach. You say he's done a decent job, I perhaps wouldn't go so far and say he's ben meh. NOthing great, but not as bad as people make out considering the restrictions put on him.

Issue, as you've brought up, is who the fuck do we get to replace him if we look for someone else? And if this person isn't a clear step up from Pay, is it worth taking another punt? The club needs to start signing sure things rather than stabs in the dark. That's with the coach's and players' positions.

If there isn't a sure thing on the horizon then we need to stick with Pay. As much as that pisses everyone off on here.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DWZ and smith had their worst games in ages had they played solid we may of had some chance
He'll need to make the call on Smith soon as it's not working. In saying that, having completely inexperienced halves doesn't help him but still.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Who said the last two games ? We were number 1 best completions sitting in second last in 2019
OK well your post didn’t suggest you were referring to last year, but fair enough. Completions to me has always been a questionable stat. Just because you can generally hold the ball (which we didn’t do well against the Cowboys) what are you actually doing with it? How many metres are you making? I’d suggest if you compared us to the Chooks or several others you’d find that their ‘completions’ aren’t that different to ours but what they did within those sets was far more effective. Again this comes down to the inexperience of our squad. You may simply call it poor coaching and that’s fine - but for mine the inexperience of our squad shines through in so many ways over the past two years and that’s what Pay has had to deal with.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but we lost it, rather than were beaten by a significantly better team.
We were our own worst enemy rather than being the worst football team coached by the worst coach.
I know you disagree, Pay needs to be sacked etc and that's fine, I don't really need to get into it any more.
I'm not defending Pay 100%, I never have - but this is still part of a problem not yet fully solved as I see it.
I still think he's done a decent job with a relatively inexperienced squad during his tenure and 10% of our cap sitting on the sideline for more than 50% of that time.
We can leave it there - I have personally chosen to not judge the club (the board, the coach, the team) until 2021 when we're in a much better position to compete.
Many will disagree with my view and that's fine.
We lost it on poor defence in the first half something that this team has supposedly been training hard all offseason for and they come up with that crap in the first half. Yeah we dropped too much ball but that defensive effort was disgusting. Pay is going to cost himself a job by playing guys out of position and going with the most unimaginative halfback in history if he sticks with Lewis.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When this coronavirus ends the comp for this year...which it will. Pay will be thanking his lucky stars, as it just might save his neck. The question is will the club risk signing him again for next year after another terrible start to his third year. Perfect time to start looking for next years coach IMO.
Your dreaming

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We lost it on poor defence in the first half something that this team has supposedly been training hard all offseason for and they come up with that crap in the first half. Yeah we dropped too much ball but that defensive effort was disgusting. Pay is going to cost himself a job by playing guys out of position and going with the most unimaginative halfback in history if he sticks with Lewis.
When you gift your opposition 2/3rds of the possession in attacking positions eventually they will find a way through, even more so when it’s a team with offensive weapons.

Go Dogs

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When you gift your opposition 2/3rds of the possession in attacking positions eventually they will find a way through, even more so when it’s a team with offensive weapons.

Go Dogs
It should be a bit harder then what we showed for the first couple of tries. They were poor we didn’t even lay a hand on Drinkwater

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So its not the players faults. Its not the coaches or head hierachys fault.
Lets just be poor for another 10 years then. Fuck me mediocre club.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched the game again last night and, not it would have affected the result, but there were 3 refs decisions that were overturned, by the video ref 2 and the captain’s challenge 1. There might have been more than that, they were just the 3 that I noticed. It’s not like Crichton’s try was even remotely close to a 50/50 call. Sometimes I think I might just be imagining it, or only using my Bulldogs one eye, when we get screwed by refs calls that never seem to go our way. But rewatching a game just confirms it most times.

If I had the time and expertise I’d start a Facebook page called “The Bulldogs were screwed by the ref again” with video evidence to prove it.

Go Dogs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I watched the game again last night and, not it would have affected the result, but there were 3 refs decisions that were overturned, by the video ref 2 and the captain’s challenge 1. There might have been more than that, they were just the 3 that I noticed. It’s not like Crichton’s try was even remotely close to a 50/50 call. Sometimes I think I might just be imagining it, or only using my Bulldogs one eye, when we get screwed by refs calls that never seem to go our way. But rewatching a game just confirms it most times.

If I had the time and expertise I’d start a Facebook page called “The Bulldogs were screwed by the ref again” with video evidence to prove it.

Go Dogs
We dropped so much ball and gifted possession and field position and Cowboys made us ‘pay’

Just beaten in every facet