Official Round 2 - Bulldogs vs Cowboys - Discussion Thread

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Hop at centre, think he loses a bit of potency with all that is required at fullback.
He's not a game breaker but he has easily been our most consistent player over the last couple years, I'm happy for him to play anywhere as long as Smith does not play centre, dwz not fullback and Lewis not in the halves

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t currently have one Wendog and that’s precisely what I’m saying. All these calls of ‘Sack Pay!’. For WHO?
I'm not calling for Pay to be sacked. See out his contract but moving forward his position is untenable. In order to plan for next year we have to see who is available and who is interested. Your response to anyone who questions Pay being re-signed is, "who else". I just know it's not Pay and until that decision is made we do not know who is available and what they bring

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What the hell is with the obsession to go two off the ruck for a regulation hit up? I noticed it last week and they were doing it again last night. I have no idea what they are trying to achieve with it all it does it give the defence more time to move up.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not calling for Pay to be sacked. See out his contract but moving forward his position is untenable. In order to plan for next year we have to see who is available and who is interested. Your response to anyone who questions Pay being re-signed is, "who else". I just know it's not Pay and i tell that decision is made we do not know who is available and what they bring
I’m not trying to bait you mate, honestly, but to me that’s a cop out.

If I’m in charge of making that decision I have to have a plan. In my career I’ve had the unfortunate task of letting a few people go (when you start enjoying it there’s something wrong with you). But I’ve never let anyone go before I’ve had a plan about who would replace them and why.

So we can’t simply say ‘Pay is out at the end of 2020’ and not discuss who replaces him. We have to prepare for 2021 - there’s no avoiding the conversation.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

If I’m in charge of making that decision I have to have a plan. In my career I’ve had the unfortunate task of letting a few people go (when you start enjoying it there’s something wrong with you). But I’ve never let anyone go before I’ve had a plan about who would replace them and why.

So we can’t simply say ‘Pay is out at the end of 2020’ and not discuss who replaces him. We have to prepare for 2021 - there’s no avoiding the conversation.
I agree bro, but posters in the kennel are not responsible or qualified to offer alternatives. IMO, we need a new direction, im not sure who that is but I am not supportive of Pay getting one more year

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s only grim if that’s the outlook you choose Wendog.

It’s not great, obviously, but last night we lost more ourselves than we were beaten. Our error rate (17) was trash. As Pay said in the presser ‘You do that and you can’t win’ - and he’s right.

I’m just glad that the haters and super coaches on this forum actually have no input into the running of our club.

The players have to take some responsibility for their performance too - it’s too convenient and frankly wrong to put it 100% at Pay’s feet. But that’s the easy way - so that’s what the haters will choose.
Mate we have completed 85% and gotten thrashed. It’s just a convenient excuse for this current game

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

You're not gonna like my suggestion ...Geoff Toovey...I told you you wouldn't like it

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
When this coronavirus ends the comp for this year...which it will. Pay will be thanking his lucky stars, as it just might save his neck. The question is will the club risk signing him again for next year after another terrible start to his third year. Perfect time to start looking for next years coach IMO.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
With respect Dinkum that seems too simplistic and unrealistic. Blame the fans for not being supportive and complaining?

Of course the players need to own that performance but, as usual, there was no lack of effort.

There needs to be real in depth tactical breakdown of what is going wrong and why they can't execute the simplest of attacking sets in the red zone.

It's basic stuff that isn't being addressed and continues on every year.

Yes its a fairly average roster but even the basics aren't executed.

I can't see any benefit to calling out fans for complaining and who have expectations of better entertainment.

It's grim no matter my outlook or the spin put on it by others...but that's just my opinion.

Bring on the Tigers.

It’s only grim if that’s the outlook you choose Wendog.

It’s not great, obviously, but last night we lost more ourselves than we were beaten. Our error rate (17) was trash. As Pay said in the presser ‘You do that and you can’t win’ - and he’s right.

I’m just glad that the haters and super coaches on this forum actually have no input into the running of our club.

The players have to take some responsibility for their performance too - it’s too convenient and frankly wrong to put it 100% at Pay’s feet. But that’s the easy way - so that’s what the haters will choose.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You're not gonna like my suggestion ...Geoff Toovey...I told you you wouldn't like it
I actually responded to another poster about Toovey. I guess my biggest problem is he hasn’t coached at the top level for more than 5 years now. I’d be nervous he’d bring more Manly freeloaders looking to top up their super accounts like his buddy Des did (Foran, Williams). Maybe that’s unfounded but again, doesn’t jump out to me as an obvious candidate, so that’s why I’m struggling to see an alternative.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree bro, but posters in the kennel are not responsible or qualified to offer alternatives. IMO, we need a new direction, im not sure who that is but I am not supportive of Pay getting one more year
This ^^

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
With respect Dinkum that seems too simplistic and unrealistic. Blame the fans for not being supportive and complaining?

Of course the players need to own that performance but, as usual, there was no lack of effort.

There needs to be real in depth tactical breakdown of what is going wrong and why they can't execute the simplest of attacking sets in the red zone.

It's basic stuff that isn't being addressed and continues on every year.

Yes its a fairly average roster but even the basics aren't executed.

I can't see any benefit to calling out fans for complaining and who have expectations of better entertainment.

It's grim no matter my outlook or the spin put on it by others...but that's just my opinion.

Bring on the Tigers.
An opinion you’re entitled to Wendog.
I think it’s best we leave it there. Cheers.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate we have completed 85% and gotten thrashed. It’s just a convenient excuse for this current game
Thrashed? By 6 and 8 points?
I call that a loss, not a thrashing.
A loss that was avoidable last night, mostly via poor execution and discipline from the players - dropped balls, sin bin.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I certainly agree with the first part of your post! :-).

The second part I accept many feel that way. Until a truly credible alternative comes along I don’t see what other choice there is. Time will tell.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thrashed? By 6 and 8 points?
I call that a loss, not a thrashing.
A loss that was avoidable last night, mostly via poor execution and discipline from the players - dropped balls, sin bin.
The score flattered us, after out first try, we were never close to winning the game.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The score flattered us, after out first try, we were never close to winning the game.
Yes, but we lost it, rather than were beaten by a significantly better team.
We were our own worst enemy rather than being the worst football team coached by the worst coach.
I know you disagree, Pay needs to be sacked etc and that's fine, I don't really need to get into it any more.
I'm not defending Pay 100%, I never have - but this is still part of a problem not yet fully solved as I see it.
I still think he's done a decent job with a relatively inexperienced squad during his tenure and 10% of our cap sitting on the sideline for more than 50% of that time.
We can leave it there - I have personally chosen to not judge the club (the board, the coach, the team) until 2021 when we're in a much better position to compete.
Many will disagree with my view and that's fine.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DWZ and smith had their worst games in ages had they played solid we may of had some chance

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He had moments like that at the Panthers under bombs too. If he drops one you know he will drop more.
100% people got caught up in his hype last year. A panthers fan I work with was into me the moment we signed him, he said "the effort in his runs is always there, but wait until the honeymoon period is over". He is at a crossroads now imo, teams will keep targeting him now.