Round 17 - Bulldogs vs Raiders - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bring on the Rabbits, were getting better for a bunch of no names.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tapine charged with Dangerous Throw and will miss 2 weeks regardless of plea (due to 85 carryover points).
Abbey was in sheds after game in team song, so a miracle recovery !

The guy is an absolute grub with an impressive judiciary record. When he was playing lower grade for the Knights at Belmore he actually wanted to take a Dogs supporter out the back and punch him out after he was called a grub due to another one of his little indiscretions... What a big man he is..............

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The guy is an absolute grub with an impressive judiciary record. When he was playing lower grade for the Knights at Belmore he actually wanted to take a Dogs supporter out the back and punch him out after he was called a grub due to another one of his little indiscretions... What a big man he is..............
Reminds me of Simon Woolford, who wanted to "jump the fence and bash us" lol

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if already been mentioned but one of the things I was happy to see was more effort in support play. Saw Lewis several times supporting the ball carrier, Martin too. That is one of the things we need to do to take advantage of Lichaas running game is push up in support. we need to run in numbers and I am starting to see that happen.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh Tapine is definitely a dirty player. Him and Leilua could be the grubbiest edge in the game.

Watch him in the ruck, bloke does facials and shoves every single tackle. I’ll discipline as well. Him and Leilua must be brothers

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His elbow hit the ground and lifted it again.
I’ve seen those given as a double movement many a time. It was one of those 20/80 calls.
I’m overseas and I watched the highlights on my NRL app. 28-14 with 5 to go should not be run down.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah,

Terry Lamb would have kicked a field goal while 2 behind.

Terry Lamb – Round 14, 1992 Bulldogs v Knights

Oh Terry. The Bulldogs five-eighth will go down as one of the best exponents of the field goal in the history of rugby league. 'Baa' nailed 44 one-pointers in his illustrious 350-game career, but it's his 1992 decision to kick one point when trailing by two that will live longest in the memory banks of NRL fans; especially disgruntled supporters of the Bulldogs. On a Sunday afternoon at a packed Belmore Oval, the Bulldogs found themselves down by two points thanks to a 12 point haul to Newcastle's John Schuster. With time running out, the ball came back to Lamb, who inexplicably potted a long-range field goal to halve the deficit to 12-11. In his defence, it was a well struck drop goal, but sadly for his side, it didn't help them get the win. Lamb said in an interview two years later that he'd had a "blackout" and that he hadn't seen Schuster's conversion moments earlier.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2016/03/21/four-field-goals-to-forget/
At least he kicked the field goal unlike former Bronco Inglis did a couple of years ago.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bloody shattered after last night. The Raiders did not win the game we lost it and that is the pure and simple fact. Piss poor last six minutes really showed us where we are at. Looked great and played some inspiring footy most of the rest of the game but it is an 80 minute game..... I hate the Raiders with a passion and the way they celebrated their tries especially the last one shows what terrible examples they are to kids wanting to play the game in the true spirit. No need for that poor excuse for a sportsman Leilua to behave the way he did. Disgraceful....

One thing that continues to piss me off no end is the time wasting antics by the Raiders who are basically fat and unfit in the forwards. They do it each and every week ,game in game out, sauntering through the opposition defensive line with half a dozen of their flabby forwards moving the ten to fifteen metres they need to actually be in line and then behind their team mate playing the ball. Walking in front of and within the defensive line with complete immunity for the first few tackles and in effect being involved in the play around the defensive side.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/nrl-laws-and-interpretations-2018.pdf

Out of Play A player from the team in possession is out of play if he does not “retire behind his own players involved in the play the ball or to their own goal line.” Section 11 (10) (g) An ‘out of play’ players(s) may again participate in the play if he retreats to a position where he has both feet behind the point where the ball was placed on the ground in the prior play the ball. Where an ‘out of play’ player becomes involved in the ensuing play, he is to be penalised with the penalty being awarded in line with the previous play the ball, at the point where the player became out of play

Offside A player is offside if he has one foot (either on or off the ground) in front of a teammate who ‘last touches, is touched, held or kicked the ball’. Section 14 (1)

Croker takes so much time with his goal kicks; grabs the tee, puts it on the ground; unclips his head gear and places it on the ground; grabs a water bottle from the trainer and rinses his mouth a few times, takes a sip of water spits it out; moves to the mark, grabs the ball from the ground and then puts it back down again after he crouches down to fiddle with the kicking tee; picks up a few blades of grass to test the wind direction; then attempts the first of six tries to position the ball on the tee THEN the referee decides he had better call time out because it has been over a minute since Croker has commenced his interminable fiddling to get ready to actually stand up and then address the ball ready to kick it BUT he then needs to measure up, move back, talk to himself look at the posts half a dozen times, then the ref calls time back on. He then moves in to kick the ball a good two minutes since he started his goal attempt EXCEPT he has no issue whatsoever in taking a kick for goal in under 20 seconds when it is the last six minutes of a game and his side is behind. He had the ball placed on and its way basically as soon as the tries were awarded. If he can do it then when the pressure is on he should be able to do it each and every time.

Yes, I understand that every kicker takes liberties when they are shooting for goal but he CONSTANTLY wastes so much time to give his side a breather and wind down the clock every game. Think about it; six kicks close to twelve minutes wasted because the dumb arse officials won't call time off. What is the difference between the ref calling time off immediately; (the kicking side still gets a breather with the kicker taking forever to put a kick up in the air for a conversion) or allowing the clock to continue and not calling time off , I'll tell you what the difference is -less minutes on the clock in the way of game time.

Saw Moses and Reynolds at the game last night but they promptly disappeared at kick off Reynolds to the Fox box and probably his bestie with him. Moses is no longer with the club so was he there as moral support, to give his ex team mates a boost? Yeah, mate ship can run deep but he did not really give a rats when we were paying his way why now. Call me bitter, call me cynical but I did not see him go shake hands with his old team mates unless it was done in the confines of the dressing sheds; but he did have a beer or something similar in his hands. Yeah some people went and got a photo and an autograph, meh.

A nice thing though happened last night. The eighteenth jersey was presented by Greg Buckley who as a young man played at fullback for the Dogs until his career was sadly cut short after a horrifying on field incident at BSG vs St George in 1988. I was there that day and watched , with many others, the terrible scene unfold and the long wait as the helicopter landed to ferry him away to hospital. It was indeed heart warming to see him walk onto the field, albeit with a distinct limp and one arm hanging beside him. He does not recall anything at all about it and sadly rued the fact that his career ended that day but he is forever thankful to the club and those within in it for the support and well wishes in those bad times. Bought a tear to my eye and made me understand that footy after all is not all there is but that we should be thankful for being still able to walk and breathe each and every day.

Next week we have the Rabbitohs and I am not looking for a win....the players themselves will have been pretty gutted with the loss and it will take a monumental effort to get up for the game and truly I am not sure we can. This year has been a procession of just not good enough efforts and I can't see it changing. The next few years will be painful as we look to rebuild and try to salvage something from the shit that the master coach Hasler has left us in. Heard some very funny rumours last night about possible destinations for the master destroyer; Penrith and wait for it lolololololo Manly. Also, if anyone caught the story in the paper about a sex tape doing the rounds in relation to Manly also heard about ANOTHER one separate to that in relation to a player( no longer there) having video of another player ( still there).....mind boggling....
I posted this back in March if you didn't see it:
buckley.jpg

It would have been nice if the club had updated us on how he is going now. He was playing U21s that night

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tapine charged with Dangerous Throw and will miss 2 weeks regardless of plea (due to 85 carryover points).
Abbey was in sheds after game in team song, so a miracle recovery !
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/06/hame-sele-charged-by-match-review-committee/

Raiders enforcer Joe Tapine concedes he may have to temper his aggressive approach to the game after failing to overturn a two-game suspension at the judiciary, just three weeks after serving his last ban.

Tapine was found guilty of a dangerous lifting tackle on Canterbury's Michael Lichaa in last week's come-from-behind thriller at Belmore, which kept Canberra three wins behind the eighth-placed Warriors.

Already without fullback Jack Wighton (stood down on disciplinary grounds), his replacement Brad Abbey (concussion) and Shannon Boyd (calf), Tapine's scratching from Saturday's clash against the Cowboys is another blow for the Raiders in their scramble to stay in top-eight contention.

The Kiwi international sat out two games for a shoulder charge on Dragons fullback Matt Dufty in May, with carry-over points from three offences in the last two years also contributing to his latest suspension.

"There's certain parts of my game that do need a look at, but I definitely don't want to lose my aggression," Tapine told NRL.com.

"That's definitely still a part of rugby league, and it's the main part of my game. It's a fine balance, I've just got to tweak some aspects of my game and get back to training now."

As the third man into the tackle on Lichaa along with teammates Sia Soliola and Josh Hodgson, Tapine's lifting of the Bulldogs hooker's legs was found to be careless by a three-man judiciary panel of Tony Puletua, Sean Garlick and Bob Lindner after a seven-minute deliberation.

NRL counsel Peter McGrath successfully argued that Tapine had "substantially contributed" to "putting Lichaa in a vulnerable position", which saw his head and neck make first contact with the Belmore turf.
Lichaa was forced from the field for a HIA, but later returned to the game and has been named for Canterbury this weekend.

Tapine's guilty verdict will not see him miss any extra game time, with a two-match suspension already on the cards if he had taken the early guilty.

He will now miss both this week's home clash with North Queensland and Canberra's round 19 trip to Cronulla, and also carry another 45 carry-over points against his name.

Prop Liam Knight or uncapped rookie Jack Murchie loom as the most likely replacements among Ricky Stuart's 21-man squad.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve seen those given as a double movement many a time. It was one of those 20/80 calls.
I’m overseas and I watched the highlights on my NRL app. 28-14 with 5 to go should not be run down.
Thanks for pointing that out captain obvious, we thought being be up by 14 with 5 to go and lose was meant to happen. Been celebrating the win till you told me that

Status
Not open for further replies.