Round 14 Nsw Cup

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone catch the eels coaching changes? Rankin is now their nsw cupcaptain coach. Wtf. When the last time that happened?

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoping Hughes stays fit, gets increasing minutes in NSW cup and maybe get some small minutes off the bench in fg towards the end of the year. He was outstanding in flegg early this year.
Tanner looks like a no nonsense type, with a good motor as well.

Add Stuckey, Todd and Edwards (who will become a middle) to the mix and we finally have some promising young props coming through the ranks.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone catch the eels coaching changes? Rankin is now their nsw cupcaptain coach. Wtf. When the last time that happened?
The coach's job in first grade has become too big - and, dare I say it, too professional - for a captain/coach, but I rather like the idea of captain/coaches in the lower grades. Anyone who has ever played a competitive team sport (that's probably most of us) will be aware that nobody knows your strengths and weaknesses as well as the guy who lines up alongside you. He feels the immediate impact of your flashes of brilliance, and he has to try to make the tackle you just missed.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Rankin also works as a pathways manager for the club so it makes perfect sense for them. More clubs should do it.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with the above. And do think the idea has a bit of merit and adds another pathway for those good players that can see the game but are a step too slow etc. Was just more trying to think the last time we've seen it!

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree with the above. And do think the idea has a bit of merit and adds another pathway for those good players that can see the game but are a step too slow etc. Was just more trying to think the last time we've seen it!
Didn't King Wally have a go as captain/coach of the Gold Coast?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking at the stats for the game, Topine and Makatoa were both standouts again.
Makatoa should play first grade this week to take Patolo's spot.
Patolo needs a few weeks off having too many concussions.
Makatoa has been a stand out the last few weeks.
I thought he should of got a start before Billy!
Been really good to see Makatoa going so well, he is going to play first grade sooner or later. As of this week he is probably 1 injury away. For as long as Thommo and Patolo are out, and it seems like Ava is also unavailable, if any of Vaughan, TPJ, King, or RFM go down you'd have to think Maka is straight in.

At the latest he plays next season. So long as he is dominating at Cup level I'm happy to wait a bit.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a back story to Wakeham's eye gouge? It looked like a grub act but I wonder if something happened that we have not been told about. I'm interested because I think there's a footballer in there somewhere and we just haven't seen him yet.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a back story to Wakeham's eye gouge? It looked like a grub act but I wonder if something happened that we have not been told about. I'm interested because I think there's a footballer in there somewhere and we just haven't seen him yet.
Don't know but also interested. He has presented on field as a competitive but cheeky player, who doesn't take stuff too seriously. It does seem out of character for him, it wouldn't be hard to believe that there is some back story to it. Even if there is though, you can't be doing that stuff.

I don't know if anyone is every going to find the footballer inside Wakeham, but ultimately it is up to him to let the footballer out.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We did but Wakeham had a big game and he's taking a well earned break at the moment.
Plus there're 5 Flegg boys playing in cup this weekend.
Six if you count Alamoti.
Missing Tanner and Morrin will hurt them.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bayley Cox gets his chance back from knee injurie only a week ????