Official Round 11 - Bulldogs vs Knights - Discussion Thread

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just finished watching a recording of the match(went fishing) fucking pumped for the win!!!!! If we can keep Foran on the field for the rest of the season no spoon for us good end to a good week yewwwee

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refreshing to snag a win and the rain really suited our gameplan today. Time to chuck on the Bankwest sprinklers next week!

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the game today as well and agree with all you said,the conditions in the 2nd half were against the dogs.I thought Napa had his best game of the year and Lewis had a strong all round game.Was never going to be easy for Wakeham to play in those conditions but hopefully he will learn from it.
Was very pleasing being amongst Knight supporters lol and thanks for the corporate box invite to my good mate.I am now barred from it he tells me.
Knights seemed constantly offside that last 20mins, is that just me as a dogs fan ?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just finished watching a recording of the match(went fishing) fucking pumped for the win!!!!! If we can keep Foran on the field for the rest of the season no spoon for us good end to a good week yewwwee
Fishing yesterday - brave!

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Knights seemed constantly offside that last 20mins, is that just me as a dogs fan ?
The nights have two fairly quick back rowers. They sprint out the line to test courage and thought process. Inside them the line pushes up limiting thinking processes. If you go straight you don’t make many meters. The key is short passes moving forward to get outside the back rowers quick hands or timed long pass. Then you make big meters against them. But you have to change it up to keep them guessing

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For those not at the game, the wind behind Newcastle for the second half was very strong. It nullified our high and long kicking game, which is Lewis’s strength (he doesn’t have much else in attack). I’m guessing, but maybe that’s why Georgalis gave Wakeham a run with 15 minutes to go.

Watching the game on TV misses so much, Foran was directing traffic all along the line in both attack and defence. He “called“ that kick to Meaney that Averillo ended up scoring after the deflection. I really had to look hard to even catch glimpses of his work in the replay. Same with Tolman, he was pushing (physically and verbally) players to get the spacing on the try line.

Anyone who gets the chance to watch the game again on replay, take a look at the action off the ball, there was a lot going on that you miss when following the ball.

Go Dogs
Watching games live and being able to direct your attention to things happening off the ball - not just what the camera and commentators highlight - gives better idea on why some players get dropped, selected etc. Its also a different perspective if at ground level, high up, side on or behind the post.

re the kicking game - the sides inability to have a kicking option in the second half made it so easy for the knights to target our kicker - most sides work it out when kickers are heavily pressured.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Watching games live and being able to direct your attention to things happening off the ball - not just what the camera and commentators highlight - gives better idea on why some players get dropped, selected etc. Its also a different perspective if at ground level, high up, side on or behind the post.

re the kicking game - the sides inability to have a kicking option in the second half made it so easy for the knights to target our kicker - most sides work it out when kickers are heavily pressured.
I don't think we've done enough work on closing out our sets at training. A lot of the time our kickers are poorly positioned and lack the protection from our forwards and that results in an easy path for the defenders to pressure us.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We had 3 kickers on the field at any time (Foran, JMK and Lewis/Wakeham) the problem was the wind killed any distance in the kicks unless it was a solid hit, which takes a few seconds longer to ensure. Plus the rain was straight in our faces, which made sighting where to kick even harder. The TV flatters exactly how bad it was, it was horrible and inconsistent.

Go Dogs

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s so hard for the referee to monitor that and the touchies don’t seem to be helping him but yes they were and also they are a well drilled defensive side around the play the ball and get off the line quickly.The conditions were a lot worse than the tv would have shown which only gives further credit to those on the field and coaching staff.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s so hard for the referee to monitor that and the touchies don’t seem to be helping him but yes they were and also they are a well drilled defensive side around the play the ball and get off the line quickly.The conditions were a lot worse than the tv would have shown which only gives further credit to those on the field and coaching staff.
Mate any update on renouf? His shoulder still playing up?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I haven't watched the reply so could someone clear up whether Wakeham or Lewis with the 11m goal line miskick.

I thought Lewis was the kicker, but Wakeham has been copping the blame on some Bulldogs FB sites.

Big argument going on, on who stuffed up the most kicks. Wakeham "credited" with 3 but I dont think thats correct.
Two clearing kicks into opposition defenders for Lewis and 1 for Wakeham?

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't watched the reply so could someone clear up whether Wakeham or Lewis with the 11m goal line miskick.

I thought Lewis was the kicker, but Wakeham has been copping the blame on some Bulldogs FB sites.

Big argument going on, on who stuffed up the most kicks. Wakeham "credited" with 3 but I dont think thats correct.
It was lewis, Knights bailed us out with a knockon shortly after though

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was Lewis.

Wakeham came on with 12 minutes left when the momentum was with Knights. He kicked it out on the full with his first touch, but he shouldn’t have been on in the first place with that little time left.