Official Round 11 - Bulldogs vs Knights - Discussion Thread

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It was Lewis.

Wakeham came on with 12 minutes left when the momentum was with Knights. He kicked it out on the full with his first touch, but he shouldn’t have been on in the first place with that little time left.
Given the comments about conditions, I wonder if that had an affect on the kick out on the full

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Given the comments about conditions, I wonder if that had an affect on the kick out on the full
100% wouldve - it was absolutely pissing down and he was kicking into the wind
Abso farking lutely.
Unpredictable wind, soaking wet ball and rain in the face, the TV made it look far better than it was.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% wouldve - it was absolutely pissing down and he was kicking into the wind
C'mon fellas, the same conditions they all played in. It was a dumb move putting Wakes on at that stage of the game but he was woeful and has been recently, still needs time in reggies I reckon. Lewis had his usual rocks (all well documented in detail on here) and occasional diamonds effort but I struggle to understand how Foran misses criticism??

He is easily the most credentialed and experienced player in the side and yet doesn't take ownership, particularly in the clutch moments in a game. For a $1m + player I expect he runs the show and controls the game in the pressure situations, but he goes missing sometimes. When we need a field goal, or a 40/20, or a breather touch finder, or just someone with a calm head for the rest of the boys it should be him.

Farkin brilliant when he wants to be but has a walkabout mode..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
C'mon fellas, the same conditions they all played in. It was a dumb move putting Wakes on at that stage of the game but he was woeful and has been recently, still needs time in reggies I reckon. Lewis had his usual rocks (all well documented in detail on here) and occasional diamonds effort but I struggle to understand how Foran misses criticism??

He is easily the most credentialed and experienced player in the side and yet doesn't take ownership, particularly in the clutch moments in a game. For a $1m + player I expect he runs the show and controls the game in the pressure situations, but he goes missing sometimes. When we need a field goal, or a 40/20, or a breather touch finder, or just someone with a calm head for the rest of the boys it should be him.

Wholeheartedly agree. A million dollar player you expect him to own 80% of the clutch moments you describe above.

I sincerely hope TBaz starts a new era of young, fit go getters and doesnt re-sign Foz.

He just has to bring these inexperienced, currently mediocre, halves along and get Burton also :grinning:

Grub act from Tyrone May but he is off contract?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Opinions, every one has them, here's mine. The rain and wind in our face were so bad that Lewis's high towering kicks for distance just weren't going to work effectively. Low trajectory kicks aimed at the sideline were more appropriate for the conditions, playing for a stoppage and a scrum, running down the clock Something Wakeham is adept at normally. So having both Foran and Wakeham available, either side of the ruck, to take the kicks was not an unreasonable decision. From when Wakeham came on to the end of game the Knights had 3 set restarts and received a penalty. Not exactly conducive to getting into the game, especially for a rookie in those conditions. The wind was also blowing not quite down the ground, more to the right (from our point of view). With Foran playing on the left he would have been kicking straight into the wind, whereas Wakeham playing on the right had a bit of wind assistance towards the sideline, a bit too much as it happened. Conditions dictated who was the more appropriate to take the kicks.

Around the 50 minute mark I said to the person sitting next to me that we would not get another penalty or a set restart. I was wrong, whilst we didn't get another set restart to add to the solitary 1 in the 7th minute, we did get 2 penalties in the 79th minute out of total of 4 for the whole match. FWIW set restarts were 7 to 1, FMD not obvious who was "supposed" to win that game............but they didn't.

To make the point, according to Matt Cecchin the Knights did not give away 1 single set restart in 73 minutes of playing time, that's impossible as anyone watching the game knows.

Go Dogs

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wholeheartedly agree. A million dollar player you expect him to own 80% of the clutch moments you describe above.

I sincerely hope TBaz starts a new era of young, fit go getters and doesnt re-sign Foz.

He just has to bring these inexperienced, currently mediocre, halves along and get Burton also :grinning:
Baz will do his thing, he won’t mess around an he will sign the right players tie the correct position, I’m a believer already.!!!

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

He doesn’t have the support around him...he’s doing alright considering he’s doing it with Lewis and wakeham.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Opinions, every one has them, here's mine. The rain and wind in our face were so bad that Lewis's high towering kicks for distance just weren't going to work effectively. Low trajectory kicks aimed at the sideline were more appropriate for the conditions, playing for a stoppage and a scrum, running down the clock Something Wakeham is adept at normally. So having both Foran and Wakeham available, either side of the ruck, to take the kicks was not an unreasonable decision. From when Wakeham came on to the end of game the Knights had 3 set restarts and received a penalty. Not exactly conducive to getting into the game, especially for a rookie in those conditions. The wind was also blowing not quite down the ground, more to the right (from our point of view). With Foran playing on the left he would have been kicking straight into the wind, whereas Wakeham playing on the right had a bit of wind assistance towards the sideline, a bit too much as it happened. Conditions dictated who was the more appropriate to take the kicks.

Around the 50 minute mark I said to the person sitting next to me that we would not get another penalty or a set restart. I was wrong, whilst we didn't get another set restart to add to the solitary 1 in the 7th minute, we did get 2 penalties in the 79th minute out of total of 4 for the whole match. FWIW set restarts were 7 to 1, FMD not obvious who was "supposed" to win that game............but they didn't.

To make the point, according to Matt Cecchin the Knights did not give away 1 single set restart in 73 minutes of playing time, that's impossible as anyone watching the game knows.

Go Dogs
Some of the holding down, hands on the ball were so obvious you had time to look away, pick up your bundy take a sip, look back at the tv and Cheatin was still letting them mess us around in the ruck. Dont even mention the lengthy time he let go before calling held. There are so many subtle ways of favouring a team and keeping opponents under the pump. We are on the wrong side of that most games.

With old games from the past. You watch in awe surprised that we get a fair shake. I am constantly thinking oh here comes a penalty. But no its play on. Same game now and there's a penalty given against us most times.

Remember the penalty JJ got for throwing the ball away a few seasons ago? That happens every 2nd game now with other teams. Ref ignores it and no penalty.

Thats why I wanted Gus. We might get a fair go in the press and eventually refs. But will have to hope that TBaz can turn it around for us by winning games with entertaining footy.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

You’re right Baz I think he dodges a lot of scrutiny because he is the only real attacking option we have ATM he really avoids kicking especially clearing kicks and I think that’s because he’s worried about blowing a hamstring if he kicks through the ball. But I agree he needs to be the dominant half, he was more involved this week than he has been since he came back so fingers crossed he continues to improve and doesn’t get injured

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you look at team stats its amazing the Dogs won - suppose the one stat that matters is the scoreboard.
There were a number of bad missed tackles / ineffective tackles - hopefully in reveiw they are not forgotten - but lov the win and effort