Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree,
They have us easily in the forwards.
I am not as confideng as everyone on here seems to be.

Its a winnable game for us, im not saying we cant win it.

But,
The way I see it.
Its in Newcastle, thats a big pisitive for the knights.
Their forwards on paper look better than ours.

I hate to say this, but Mitch Pearce is still better than Flano in the halves.

Make no mistake, we can win this game, but we will need to earn the win.

We could just as easily get smashed by the Knights.
dont completely disregard Hetherington and Ogden, I think they will hold their own....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They have us easily in the forwards.
I am not as confideng as everyone on here seems to be.
Its a winnable game for us, im not saying we cant win it.
But,
The way I see it.
Its in Newcastle, thats a big pisitive for the knights.
Their forwards on paper look better than ours.
I hate to say this, but Mitch Pearce is still better than Flano in the halves.
Make no mistake, we can win this game, but we will need to earn the win.
We could just as easily get smashed by the Knights.
I'm not convinced that, as a pack;

13 Connor Watson, 12 Mitch Barnett, 11 Tyson Frizell, 10 David Klemmer, 9 Jayden Brailey, 8 Daniel Saifiti Bench: 14. Sauaso Sue 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Josh King 17. Brodie Jones

Is better than;

13 Josh Jackson, 12 Corey Waddell, 11 Adam Elliott, 10 Dylan Napa (d), 9 Jeremy Marshall-King, 8 Jack Hetherington Bench: 14. Sione Katoa 15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 16. Ofahiki Ogden 17. Renouf Atoni

(Note that I don't believe that is the way they will line up on the day)

Go Dogs

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For the bulldogs to compete really good this year , we need to be a top defensive side . We don’t have the quality as other oppositions do , so if Furner can make us a resilient side then we can compete .
Ps : I’m not overly confident with Furner . ( although I would be more than happy to be proven wrong as the club is at my best interest ).

Our team is stacked with workhorses .
Jackson / Elliot / hetherington / jmk / Hopoate / Allen / dwz / cotric / Waddell
These players don’t shy away from any contact .

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Penrith really want a prop for this year , they have 28 in their squad currently. I just think their is a deal lined up but it’s about timing for both parties .( more so the bulldogs ) looks like they waiting on maybe the Thompson suspension to end .

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
For the bulldogs to compete really good this year , we need to be a top defensive side . We don’t have the quality as other oppositions do , so if Furner can make us a resilient side then we can compete .
Ps : I’m not overly confident with Furner . ( although I would be more than happy to be proven wrong as the club is at my best interest ).

Our team is stacked with workhorses .
Jackson / Elliot / hetherington / jmk / Hopoate / Allen / dwz / cotric / Waddell
These players don’t shy away from any contact .
Any team news? I'm actually getting excited, think we might put a score on the Knights :tearsofjoy:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Cotric isn't able to play round one and Averillo is back, we might see Wakeham in the halves again and Averillo in the centres.

Hopefully Cotric is fine though as we need as much time as possible for our combinations to gel.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
We should flog them in a canter. Their club is a mess, former captain cant keep it in his pants and a coach who can't handle his piss.
so it should be a close contest?

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any team news? I'm actually getting excited, think we might put a score on the Knights :tearsofjoy:
I will let you know . Yeah it is when you know the only way is up from now on . Especially knowing addocarr and burton are two signings coming in .
Also a few big money contracts coming of the books , if we make the right strategic recruits we could be top 4 in 2 years time .

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I will let you know . Yeah it is when you know the only way is up from now on . Especially knowing addocarr and burton are two signings coming in .
Also a few big money contracts coming of the books , if we make the right strategic recruits we could be top 4 in 2 years time .
So Lewis in for Flanno 100% confirmed?
Crazy!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@alic so this is the expected 17 at this stage? I'm too excited still :blush:

1. Allan
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. DWZ
6. Averillo
7. Flanagan
8. Ogden
9. JMK
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. Waddell/RFM
13. Jackson

14. Katoa
15. Atoni
16. Napa
17. RFM/Waddell

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
@alic so this is the expected 17 at this stage? I'm too excited still :blush:

1. Allan
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. DWZ
6. Averillo
7. Flanagan
8. Ogden
9. JMK
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. Waddell/RFM
13. Jackson

14. Katoa
15. Atoni
16. Napa
17. RFM/Waddell
My mail is Lewis in the 14 because "he can play anywhere."

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
KNIGHTS V BULLDOGS
Friday 12 March, McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle, 6pm (AEDT)

Knights:
Newcastle start with a number of players on the injury list with Lachlan Fitzgibbon (shoulder), Blake Green (ACL), Edrick Lee (foot), Jirah Momoisea (Achilles) and Kalyn Ponga (shoulder) all unavailable. Kurt Mann and Mitch Barnett both missed the final trial due to personal reasons and will come into the squad with Mann partnering Mitchell Pearce in the halves and Barnett starting on the left edge. Hymel Hunt also missed the trial due to a hamstring injury but did train with the squad during the week and should be fit for Round 1, with Gehamat Shibasaki set to get the left wing position ahead of Starford T’oa.

Predicted team: 1 Tex Hoy, 2 Hymel Hunt (d), 3 Bradman Best, 4 Enari Tuala, 5 Gehamat Shibasaki, 6 Kurt Mann (d), 7 Mitchell Pearce, 13 Connor Watson, 12 Mitch Barnett (d), 11 Tyson Frizell, 10 David Klemmer, 9 Jayden Brailey, 8 Daniel Saifiti Bench: 14. Sauaso Sue 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Josh King 17. Brodie Jones

Rest of Squad: Phoenix Crossland, Lachlan Fitzgibbon (inj), Blake Green (inj), Bailey Hodgson (inj), Jack Johns (D), Jacob Kiraz (D), Edrick Lee (inj), Christian Ma’anaima (D), Jirah Momoisea (inj), Brayden Musgrove, Kalyn Ponga (inj), Chris Randall (D), Nathaneal Sasagi, Pasami Saulo, Garrett Smith (D), Starford T’oa, Dominic Young (20’s)

Players who haven’t trialled: Mitch Barnett (personal leave), Lachlan Fitzgibbon (shoulder), Blake Green (ACL), Bailey Hodgson (knee), Hymel Hunt (hamstring), Edrick Lee (foot), Kurt Mann (personal leave), Jirah Momoisea (Achilles), Kalyn Ponga (shoulder)

Players ruled out: Lachlan Fitzgibbon (shoulder – Indefinite), Blake Green (ACL – Rd 4), Jirah Momoisea (Achilles – Indefinite), Kalyn Ponga (shoulder – Rd 5)

1st choice Goal Kicker – Tex Hoy

Back Up Goal Kicker – Mitch Barnett

Bulldogs: Have a number of players in doubt leading into Round 1. Nick Cotric suffered an ankle injury in the weekend trial and will need to prove his fitness. Jake Averillo suffered an elbow injury a couple of weeks ago but should be fit to play. If Cotric isn’t fit, coach Trent Barrett could be forced to play Averillo at left centre with Brandon Wakeham holding the five-eighth position. Dylan Napa (knee) and Raymond Faitala-Mariner (ankle) both had interrupted pre-seasons and didn’t play in the trial but both have returned to training with view of being fit for Round 1 though both will be eased back into it. With Jeremy Marshall-King suffering a lisfranc injury in the All Stars game, hooking depth has come into question with only two hookers in the Top 30. If Marshall-King is ruled out, someone like Lachlan Lewis may come onto the bench as back-up hooker to Sione Katoa, who would be hard pressed to play 80 minutes in the NRL. Josh Jackson will move to lock in 2021 with Adam Elliott on the left edge next to either Averillo or Wakeham, and Corey Waddell partnering Kyle Flanagan on the right edge.

Predicted team: 1 Corey Allan, 2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 3 Nick Cotric (d), 4 Will Hopoate, 5 Nick Meaney, 6 Jake Averillo (d), 7 Kyle Flanagan, 13 Josh Jackson ©, 12 Corey Waddell, 11 Adam Elliott, 10 Dylan Napa (d), 9 Jeremy Marshall-King (d), 8 Jack Hetherington Bench: 14. Sione Katoa 15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner (d) 16. Ofahiki Ogden 17. Renouf Atoni

Rest of Squad: Dean Britt, Christian Crichton (inj), Matthew Doorey, Tyrone Harding, Paul Karaitiana (D), Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jayden Okunbor (inj), Chris Patolo (D) (inj), Kurt Picken (D), James Roumanos, Chris Smith, Joe Stimson, Luke Thompson (susp), Jackson Topine (D), Brandon Wakeham

Players who haven’t trialled: Jake Averillo (elbow), Christian Crichton (ACL), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (ankle), Tyrone Harding (unknown), Dylan Napa (knee/shoulder), Jayden Okunbor (ACL), Chris Patolo (knee), James Roumanos (unknown), Luke Thompson (suspended/hamstring)

Players ruled out: Christian Crichton (ACL – Season), Jayden Okunbor (ACL – Indefinite), Luke Thompson (suspended – Rd 5)

1st choice Goal Kicker – Kyle Flanagan

Back Up Goal Kicker – Nick Meaney

KEY
(d) – in doubt
(D) – NRL development contract
(inj) – injured

Surely renouf and rfm starters

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Surely renouf and rfm starters
I’d put Renouf on the bench he brings good intensity when he comes on. No idea as for rfm he was one of our best players last year and I’m not sure if he will play 2nd row or prop this year. He deserves to start imo

Reactions: ATT