Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just had a look at the Knights injury list and they won’t have anyone coming into that side by round 1 except for Edrick Lee. Ponga and Green will still be out. If they name a similar team for our game it is more then winnable.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Geez I’m struggling to remember the last year we actually won a round 1 game!!! That’s how long it’s been I think... I’m usually pretty good at this but I think my care factor has dropped since Hasler, Pay have been in charge!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Geez I’m struggling to remember the last year we actually won a round 1 game!!! That’s how long it’s been I think... I’m usually pretty good at this but I think my care factor has dropped since Hasler, Pay have been in charge!
The last win was 2016 when we smacked Manly at Brookvale. A good confidence boosting win could shape the entire season.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I just had a look at the Knights injury list and they won’t have anyone coming into that side by round 1 except for Edrick Lee. Ponga and Green will still be out. If they name a similar team for our game it is more then winnable.
Ponga out for them is huge, Hes by far their most creative player and all of their x factor.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Mann is missing from that trial for personal reasons but other than that, it will be close to their round one team.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Mann is missing from that trial for personal reasons but other than that, it will be close to their round one team.
I just saw that Edrick Lee won’t be playing either. Mann isn’t that big of an inclusion. That line up shouldn’t hold any fears for us.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has Tim Grasby retired or is he still playing?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just saw that Edrick Lee won’t be playing either. Mann isn’t that big of an inclusion. That line up shouldn’t hold any fears for us.
I thought Mann was one of their most consistent players last year. He has a good running game. But I agree, it's a beatable team and we seem to play well against them.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Highlights include 40 points put on us by the Warriors who finished bottom three

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highlights include 40 points put on us by the Warriors who finished bottom three
Its been ordinary for a while our rd 1 record

2006 - beat by average panthers side
2007 - sbw sent off and beat by knights
2008 - up 20 nil v eels and rolled
2009 - good win v manly
2010 - rolled by shit knights team
2011 - good win v tigers
2012 - good win v panthers
2013 - beat by cowboys after barba debacle
2014 - beat by broncos with barba in their side
2015 - beat by panthers
2016 - last win v manly
2017 - beat by storm
2018 - beat by storm
2019 - sodomised by warriors
2020 - decent effort but loss v eels

This is from memory but I think it’s right.

4 first round wins in the last 15 years

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I was at that game and still haven’t gotten over it

All I know is we looked so unfit, bereft of any attacking ideas or enthusiasm on D. A park footy team would have beaten us that day

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what there team doesn’t look that strong and very beatable
I am not taking things for granted but surely we are in with a decent shot at taking the points up there.
It’s the perfect opportunity to hit the ground running

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know what there team doesn’t look that strong and very beatable
I am not taking things for credit but surely we are in with a decent shot at taking the points up there.
It’s the perfect opportunity to hit the ground running
I’m in no way saying it’s a guaranteed 2 points but if we play well we will win. There will probably be teams this year that we will still lose against even if we play our best footy.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was at that game and still haven’t gotten over it

All I know is we looked so unfit, bereft of any attacking ideas or enthusiasm on D. A park footy team would have beaten us that day
There was a legit good feeling around here too, absolute scenes that day

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For some insight into what Newcastle might look like for Round 1, here is their trial team:

1. Tex Hoy
2. Starford To'a
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Gehamat Shibasaki
6. Phoenix Crossland
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Jayden Brailey
10. David Klemmer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Chris Randall
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Sauaso Sue
17. Josh King
18. Simi Sasagi
19. Brodie Jones
20. Mat Croker
21. Brayden Musgrove
22. Pasami Saulo
23. Dominic Young

tenor.gif

Easy win for us.. ..... 50-0.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Katoa will start over Meaney. Stimson probably in the 17. Not sure if we have a utility or just use Katoa in that role...I don't see why we need more than 3 forwards on the bench.
No, Meaney will line up