Official Round 1 - Dogs vs Warriors - Consolidated Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I have no fucking idea why they got Harry Harris back, the guy is fucking shit! He and lobster need to move on ASAP! We need fresh fitness coaches!
I got no idea why Grimaldi is held in such high esteem. Go back and watch how much the Dogs of War side carries the lobster through the whole of 2004. Especially the finals series. He was just another Tolman of his era, (with more errors) weighing down the teams attack with incessant hit-ups at the wrong time and even getting out muscled in defence for simple barge over tries.

IRON AIDEN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sack Fatso Pay and the rest of the dud coaching staff , he signed steve babic from raiders another dud the raiders are faiders enough said

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got no idea why Grimaldi is held in such high esteem. Go back and watch how much the Dogs of War side carries the lobster through the whole of 2004. Especially the finals series. He was just another Tolman of his era, (with more errors) weighing down the teams attack with incessant hit-ups at the wrong time and even getting out muscled in defence for simple barge over tries.
I don’t think he has anything to do with the actual football side of things besides conditioning so how he played doesn’t really matter in that regard. Although our fitness could be questioned for a few years now there’s been a few whispers around that the club’s methods are out dated and it looks to be true.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last 120 minutes of first grade, including the second half against Canberra in the trial have shown issues with defence. The same issues were apparent in the jersey flegg trials - hope its coincidence and not reflective of something going seriously wrong in the pre season.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I don’t think he has anything to do with the actual football side of things besides conditioning so how he played doesn’t really matter in that regard. Although our fitness could be questioned for a few years now there’s been a few whispers around that the club’s methods are out dated and it looks to be true.
But that is my point., even in his playing days his fitness wasnt superior to any of our other forwards . He would still drop off tackles and make errors under fatigue. And just like many of our current forwards could not bend the line.

Nothing against Lobster, but he has presided over the fitness and conditioning of our club for quite a few roster overhauls, but when it comes to the big important games, those charged with emotion, our pack seems to inevitably get run over the top of.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Relax its round 1 you guys are already blaming Dean Pay its the beginning of the season. Start blaming him when he doesn't make changes to a continuous loosing side. We haven't reach there yet so be patient. You can't blame pay for loosing klemmer, you can't blame pay for having a 1 million dollar half who ain't worth it. So give this guy a break.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the new bulldogs board has to stop looking for quick part time replacements as coach and for his staff and players, we need the club the team rebuilt and built stronger then ever before

canterbury has the funds to employ a
top line coach
fitness coach
wrestling coach
so why have they settled for a no body coach, and no body staff

why dont players want to come to the bulldogs, this started with hasler and a dysfunctional board, are we that far behind other clubs that we are now on the nose with everyone
we have busted, slow players in key positions, we need new fast fit players, i know its hard to fill positions, but when other teams can do it why cant we

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Relax its round 1 you guys are already blaming Dean Pay its the beginning of the season. Start blaming him when he doesn't make changes to a continuous loosing side. We haven't reach there yet so be patient. You can't blame pay for loosing klemmer, you can't blame pay for having a 1 million dollar half who ain't worth it. So give this guy a break.
What are u talking about sonny. He picked the same useless ***** that lost us 18 games last year. How patient or fucking stupid does one have to be to keep picking, elliot, jmk, licha, montoya, oh foran is fit now, bullshit. We buy a 23 year old future kiwi star to rebuild around with lewis and co and sits out best player on the bench to the game is out of reach. We been loosing for a long time now how many more times do we have to lose before we cut these useless ***** and go buy some footy players.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No ticker, plain and smple. Coach now on notice, if he doesn’t turn the performance around, he’s gonski.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm putting down yesterday's dismal display to the fact that New Zealand as a nation suffered tremendously and the warriors were playing for their country and heritage.

As bad as we were it's only round 1, still have a long way to go (but in saying that if we dish up more shite like that throughout the year we're in a world of trouble)

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He keeps picking a useless lemon to play hooker. Who else should we blame? We
Could have not resigned the dud and got ourselves a better hooker. This bloke just flat out sucks.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone's smashing Pay for the line-up decision (the lack of Rhyse Martin/ inclusion of Montoya), but what concerns me most is the lack of effort from the 17 that did get the call-up to play. Irrespective of who was named, when you pull on that blue and white jersey you better play you heart out. The key moments that really pissed me off:

• ⁠Seeing guys like Josh Jackson falling off Kata like he's covered in spiders

• ⁠No one working together up the middle to gang-tackle and control the ruck.

• ⁠1 line-break to 6, missing 38 tackles.

• ⁠The right-side never linking up to set-up Reimis Smith for a break down the sidelines

• ⁠Hoppa Jr trying to diffuse a kick with his feet (and going out of bounds) rather than sprinting and giving 100% to take the ball on his chest.

• ⁠Inability to withstand any form of pressure (I'm pretty sure off the back of every drop-out, 7-tackle set or penalty, the Warriors scored).

• ⁠Lack of direction from both halves - both Lewis and Foz.

Pay effectively had a free run in 2018 with the off-field drama and issues with the roster that Dib/ Des/ Castle handed him. With a clean slate, to not have his team ready in round 1 (Against a team we've historically performed well against), to not only lose in that fashion but set Warriors franchise records for points scored in an opening game and biggest margin of victory against the Bulldogs is appalling.

I really hope the team bounce back from this like they did last year when the Titans pulled our pants down at Belmore, otherwise the pundits were right to write us off and name us spoon favorites. Parra played full of energy and even covered the 10 min binning and loss of Brown. If we repeat our round 1 effort we'll be in for another 40+ thrashing.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting down yesterday's dismal display to the fact that New Zealand as a nation suffered tremendously and the warriors were playing for their country and heritage.

As bad as we were it's only round 1, still have a long way to go (but in saying that if we dish up more shite like that throughout the year we're in a world of trouble)
They never seemed to recover from the horrible overturn of the line drop out call about 25 minutes in. We were well in the game up until then (only down 4-0). They scored off the next set and then got a penalty after that and scored again.

The lack of fight was a worry but as you said its only round 1.

The real test is this week. If we get dusted by Parra and the effort is poor then it will be hard to see us getting off the bottom of the ladder all year

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They never seemed to recover from the horrible overturn of the line drop out call about 25 minutes in. We were well in the game up until then (only down 4-0). They scored off the next set and then got a penalty after that and scored again.

The lack of fight was a worry but as you said its only round 1.

The real test is this week. If we get dusted by Parra and the effort is poor then it will be hard to see us getting off the bottom of the ladder all year
I also noticed another clanger by Maxwell. We were truly out of the game by then. But he ruled that lewis made a defensive decision to tackle a guy without the ball. Bullshit the guy ran into Lewis and obstructed him. Fmd we played bad but these refs trying to ref us out doesn't help.

Last edited:

DoggyJu

Waterboy
Reaction score
I also noticed another clanger by Maxwell. We were truly out of the game by then. But he ruled that lewis made a defensive decision to tackle a guy without the ball. Bullshit the guy ran into Lewis and obstructed him. Fmd we played bad but these refs trying to ref us out doesn't help.
Pointless going on about these calls. We could of easily been penalised when Crighton made a dangerous challenge on Fusitua in the first half. Good teams overcome dud calls.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the new bulldogs board has to stop looking for quick part time replacements as coach and for his staff and players, we need the club the team rebuilt and built stronger then ever before

canterbury has the funds to employ a
top line coach
fitness coach
wrestling coach
so why have they settled for a no body coach, and no body staff

why dont players want to come to the bulldogs, this started with hasler and a dysfunctional board, are we that far behind other clubs that we are now on the nose with everyone
we have busted, slow players in key positions, we need new fast fit players, i know its hard to fill positions, but when other teams can do it why cant we
This is what the club did with Hasler. He was our long term option to get us a premiership.

Look how that turned out.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pointless going on about these calls. We could of easily been penalised when Crighton made a dangerous challenge on Fusitua in the first half. Good teams overcome dud calls.
It was the correct call, 100% as per the rules. TV commentators don't read the rules, don't pay any attention to them.

Go Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.