Official Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Eels - Discussion Thread

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, JMK is not a hooker either. He ran 2 times from dummy half. When we were near the try line, he could have had a go but like Lewis, just pass. Like Johns said....he needs to run more from dummy half to keep the defence 2nd guessing bit he doesn't!

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else notice all momentum was lost when Elliot returned in the second half ? The timing of his errors are always killers !

on a positive , I’m really liking Wakeham. Limited opportunities but looks to have the goods

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Biggest problem is the lack of strike power in the backs.
DWZ went ok. Hopoate and Smith are not top grade centres. However, who else do we have.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Smith isn't a centre
2. JMK isn't a hooker
3. Lewis isn't a half

Honestly. If we had a decent 9. We win.
Completely agree re: JMK - he was a big reason for our poor go-forward and attack

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our attack is completely inept just like last year. We made a lot of errors, DWZ worst offender.
Need more forwards hitting holes.
Our defence and effort is incredible.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interchange management was just as shit as usual.

Eels bombed it tonight, invited us in so many times. Reckon even the titans would have put em to bed.

This isnt a roster issue.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Look we still did well overall against a team that has a better roster and is a premiership favourite... Napa Elliot DWZ Jackson even Smith and and Critta had their moments RFM and RT still strong.. we just have a rookie half in Wakeham who will get better. Not going to comment on Lewis ... my blood pressure is quite good at the moment :tearsofjoy:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not going to defend Lewis, he is not the halfback we need. Unfortunately he is the one we have got. If we get bogged in our own half we lose badly most games, and the clear tactic to mitigate that is to hoof it down field. Doesn't matter if it finds grass or not, it means we aren't constantly having the opposition start sets of six in our own half. Lewis has a 50m+ boot on him, and Cogger and Wakeham apparently don't.

Which means that if all 4 halves are available when Foran comes back, it will likely be Lewis/Foran, because Foran doesn't have a big boot either.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Fuckin speeewwiiinnnggggggg

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Effort was good, great defence, good attitude blah blah blah....

Boring as shit in attack. No entertainment what so ever. No offloads, played too safe at times. No structure. What has changed in the past 5 years with our attack? Absolutely nothing.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@speedy2460.. where you at? Our defence was outstanding tonight and we scored 2 points.. you said preseason that your attack comes from your defense... 2 points......
I still say that. But with the centres we have, points will be hard to come by.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I love these threads where the experts who have never played the game come out from sitting on the lounge in their garage hahahaha

We didn’t make the most of our chances and made some dumb errors, particularly the timing of our tackles on ball receivers. It was round 1

Sack Pay
Lewis can’t kick
Stimson is unfit
Britt only plays cause of his dad
Etc etc etc Hahahaha

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis SUCKS.

Don't care if we re signing him or not Foran and Wakeham as soon as he comes back. At least Wakeham will learn something.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone that's defends Lewis is a fucking moron, bloke is not a halfback and it's been clear to many of us for a while. Pay needs to fucking get his shit sorted asap.
There are some rugby league illiterates on this forum! Parra,with their roster are a Top4 side, we’re not even in calculations for a top 8 finish. Lewis, by is by far our best all round half we have available. Wakeham is only a handful of games into an NRL career & will gradually become more influential. Given that we lost 2 starting players 48 hrs out from our first comp game; it was a good effort against one of the NRL premiership favourites first up.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why EVERYTHING went through Lewis in attack. I’ll be honest I don’t rate him but I blame the game plan for using him so much. They spent the whole off season training and that’s what they come up with? The attack has regressed and I didn’t think it had much room to regress
I don’t think he’s the answer either, but cops so much BS on here, some is warranted but don’t see anyone else that does much worse cop it.

Any way I like what I see of Wakeham. Give Renouf more time, DWZ has a bight to forget bar a couple nice moments. Forwards played well and our defence was great. Eels had nothing, only got the lucky try imo.