Official Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Eels - Discussion Thread

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was keen on Brodie Croft at the start of the season when Melbourne was keen to offload him. He signed with the Broncos for $350k a season for two seasons but everyone smashed me for even considering the idea of Croft. The money Croft is on at the Broncos is the same money we will get in compensation for Foran.
Croft's only issue was playing for a team who expected him to be Cooper Cronk in his first few years as a first grader... Don't know how the duo of Milford and he will fair but he's one of the best young halves in the game

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Forwards will sort themselves out, I know it won't happen, but I would rather see this next week

1. Meaney (higher skill ceiling and can catch, I wanna see how he goes, he looks alot stronger after his offseason)
2. DWZ (with Okunbur gone we need him here for second tackle carry out of red zone imo)
3. Harper (anyone is better than Smith at centre)
4. Hopoate
5. Smith
6. Wakeham
7. Cogger
9. JMK
14. Averillo
If we are still struggling for points in a few weeks I’d be tempted to shift Hoppa to fullback. He need all the ball playing and creativity that we can get and Hoppa has that in his game.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If we are still struggling for points in a few weeks I’d be tempted to shift Hoppa to fullback. He need all the ball playing and creativity that we can get and Hoppa has that in his game.
Yeah I'd be tempted to do so again. However it leaves us thin at centre. I'm all for Meaney getting a shot there and letting Hoppa move in when we're inside opp 20 sometimes

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa has the best hands in the NRL. He is wasted if we aren't utilising his ball playing ability in some manner.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys lets look at the positives. Parra who are regarded as possibly the 2nd best attacking team in the comp couldnt score a constructed try, rather one after we fumble a grubber.
Parra were at full strength. We were short Foran, CHN, Okunbor. Put those 3 in our side. I doubt we would of lost tonight.
We defended as good as any side in the comp in the last 2 years against a full strength Parra team.
After a week from hell I was proud of the way we kept our mind in the game tonight. We all but won.
Parra are a short price to make top 4, so not scoring a try against a full strength Parra is not the end of the world. We can review the tape and learn where we took the wrong option with points on offer. Its a learning curve.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did Holland play?
Fresh man on the bench could’ve spelled JMK

Pay seems satisfied playing guys for big minutes like it’s a badge of honour whereas a better strategy with timely substitutions would have been more beneficial

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A few of my non bulldogs mates when I asked them who were our best they said

Wait for it

Lewis

All round Lewis was solid

His failure to mop up the match winning try grubber and his kick on the 3rd our final chance gave me the shits though

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Wait for it

Lewis

His failure to mop up the match winning try grubber and his kick on the 3rd our final chance gave me the shits though
Na he was garbage, crippled the whole team with his awful ball distribution. He was in everything and all effort and that will give some people the impression that he played well when in reality he didn't.

On another note NRL.com says all our starting middles played 52 minutes....was that like a coincidence or on purpose from Pay? Lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Wait for it

Lewis

No offence to your mates but how can a half be one of the best when you score 2 points?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
People think Lewis was our best because the commentators just won't shut up about him.

"Oh Lewis he just looks like his got so much time"

Well for someone that has so much time, gee his execution is garbage..

Furthermore the time he takes to kick a ball just helps the opposition defense because he is projecting his intentions, giving the back plenty of time to set..

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel if Hop was at FB and DWZ centres we may win that game last night

But in saying that if Corey was there that probs would have been enough variation to create some breaks/points too. disapointing

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the feeling that early on in the game the Eels had the notion they could just walk in and walk out with a simple win.
The days of leaking points all over the park seem to be over, we now have to start on scoring them...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got the feeling that early on in the game the Eels had the notion they could just walk in and walk out with a simple win.
The days of leaking points all over the park seem to be over, we now have to start on scoring them...
The commentary on Fox said that Fergo putting his foot into touch early was huge and that the Dogs got a massive lift from it. I tend to agree if Eels scored there it changes the entire game. You’re right though the Eels didn’t look like scoring after that.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I have to say, as clunky as the game was, the Dogs impressed me with their grit and solid defence. The Parra try came from an error, not from outplaying us. Considering the hype and the team that the Eels had on the field, this was a game that the Dogs can take plenty of positives from.
I expected a walkover. The result is far better than I predicted.
Two sponsors gone, two players suspended and the club embroiled in a scandal but The dogs looked motivated. They started the game off well and maintained the energy. I think Parra struggled big time.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its our halves who have to do more for the backs. I thought chrighton was strong tonight so to Smith.
Also forward provide no momentum. What do you expect backs to do when our plodders can't get past the 30m line?

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

Wait for it

Lewis

I'd have to agree with you. He's defence is as good as any half, he's got a great left foot kick... but it's he's attack its too rigid. He has to improve or we're fucked.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well great defence… No idea in attack… Can’t knock the effort..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Against a full strength Parra side in front of their fans at their home ground, your defence was tremendous, Parra’s only try came from an error. I thought your pack matched theirs all game, but your halves couldn’t’ take advantage. That said the game plan was very defence orientated and a safe one that played to the lack of skill in your halves as they didn’t take risks. Given the tumultuous 48 hours prior to kick off that was pretty smart move on Pays behalf as it took pressure off them. Had your halves tried to play fast that would have suited Parra and increased their error count. And the way they stuck to the game plan for the 80 mins was commendable and will give them a lot of confidence moving forward. All in all I think you did expose the myth of Parra. Their much vaunted forward pack was nullified, neither of their halves could function from that and King Gutho looked more like the a court jester most of the game. A good foundation to build on.