Official Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Eels - Discussion Thread

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The effort and desire was there in spades you can’t ask for anything more in that regard.
Absolutely brother, I'm having that same conversation in a group message now with my mates. They are all opposition supporters and they are all telling me how well the Bulldogs played and that they turned up tonight despite all the shit that's been going on and were unlucky to lose.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The end of last years form suggests our defence is better then Parra’s and their attack is better then ours so they could cancel each other out to some extent.
The point is, if that's how much better Parramatta are, then they are not heading for the finals this year. A lot of other sides will have watched the game, and seen that the Eels main strike weapons can be contained by an inexperienced side.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we did ok bigger picture. What concerns me is we cant have another season of loosing x amount of games that are there for the taking. We had every opportunity to win tonight but we couldnt get it done. I agree with the majority = defense great, attack shit. I dont want to hope for anything because I know we have it in us to do well this season. I dont blame the players themselves, I think they all put in to there abilities tonight. Its over to the coaching staff eg- Id like to see Lewis with 50% less ball on the 5th, 20 meters out from the try line.

A

Alexander the Great

I'm happy with the results tonight. We didn't get pumped and did what we could with what we had.
Few changes and tweaks with the squad and it may be a ok season if we defend like the way we did tonight.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The point is, if that's how much better Parramatta are, then they are not heading for the finals this year. A lot of other sides will have watched the game, and seen that the Eels main strike weapons can be contained by an inexperienced side.
They dropped a lot of ball and didn’t have that much composure with the ball. I’m much more confident that their attack is going to get better as the year goes on but I’m not very confident at all in ours moving forward.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel the game plan tonight was to try and grind a win which wasn't far off. I think Pay will ease Wakeham into the half role rather than throwing him in and risking losing his confidence. The Kennel is not very forgiving and we are supporters site! I think we will see him running the ball more over the next few games. I think/hope that Lewis and Wakeham can develop into an acceptable duo given the chance.
From the little ball he had, wakeham looked infinitely more dangerous attacking the line than what Lewis did.

The kids got talent, let him take control

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I love these threads where the experts who have never played the game come out from sitting on the lounge in their garage hahahaha

We didn’t make the most of our chances and made some dumb errors, particularly the timing of our tackles on ball receivers. It was round 1

Sack Pay
Lewis can’t kick
Stimson is unfit
Britt only plays cause of his dad
Etc etc etc Hahahaha
Bro people are entitled to their opinion it is a forum... I have played plenty of league and I think considering the week we had it was a very strong performance. Probably just missing a dominant half to grab the game when it was tight. That was the difference.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bro people are entitled to their opinion it is a forum... I have played plenty of league and I think considering the week we had it was a very strong performance. Probably just missing a dominant half to grab the game when it was tight. That was the difference.
I agree mate and never said people can’t have their opinion, in fact I said I love it. I’ll go as far to say, logging on here cheers me up after a loss. It’s hilarious

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There wasn’t too much in it. Just a bit of polish on the last play, and being able to turn all our momentum/pressure and field advantages into points... it seems like a lot, BUT it’s really not.. we need to do the simple things right an will be better for it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Forwards will sort themselves out, I know it won't happen, but I would rather see this next week

1. Meaney (higher skill ceiling and can catch, I wanna see how he goes, he looks alot stronger after his offseason)
2. DWZ (with Okunbur gone we need him here for second tackle carry out of red zone imo)
3. Harper (anyone is better than Smith at centre)
4. Hopoate
5. Smith
6. Wakeham
7. Cogger
9. JMK
14. Averillo

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was keen on Brodie Croft at the start of the season when Melbourne was keen to offload him. He signed with the Broncos for $350k a season for two seasons but everyone smashed me for even considering the idea of Croft. The money Croft is on at the Broncos is the same money we will get in compensation for Foran.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree mate and never said people can’t have their opinion, in fact I said I love it. I’ll go as far to say, logging on here cheers me up after a loss. It’s hilarious
Maybe I took it the wrong way but I was 100% sober tonight which might be the problem :tongueclosed: but I also think Stimson looked a bit short of a run at the minute... presumably that’s why Pay left him out there to get match fitness.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Forwards will sort themselves out, I know it won't happen, but I would rather see this next week

1. Meaney (higher skill ceiling and can catch, I wanna see how he goes, he looks alot stronger after his offseason)
2. DWZ (with Okunbur gone we need him here for second tackle carry out of red zone imo)
3. Harper (anyone is better than Smith at centre)
4. Hopoate
5. Smith
6. Wakeham
7. Cogger
9. JMK
14. Averillo
I like it.!!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe I took it the wrong way but I was 100% sober tonight which might be the problem :tongueclosed: but I also think Stimson looked a bit short of a run at the minute... presumably that’s why Pay left him out there to get match fitness.
No problems mate. People were making out Stimson was George Rose but he played decent minutes and made 30 tackles. Lots of improvement in everyone. We won’t win the comp but teams will hate playing us

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest positive to take away is that our defence is still there from the end of last season. They didn’t get a single line break tonight. The two biggest defensive concerns leading into the game were Wakeham and Reimis and both came through with flying colours. Wakeham was great he missed a couple but make plenty more and even put a couple of hits on.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm disappointed in the performance, it was an opportunity to be on top of the ladder and the boys couldn't handle the pressure! I don't think we'll be getting another similar opportunity this season!

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha... It does a bit.

I thought chrighton was our best back after DWZ.
All i could see was dallin throwing the ball to coreys ghost
We need ponga

So many drop balls shit 5th tackle plays
Lewis was good but fuck of all errors and to many short passes annoys me

If wakeham can play better and lead lewis will be better off it

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Whatever the case, if I didn’t have this forum to come to after every game (especially a loss) it would be such a painful week until the next game. Good to be a able to vent the frustration, an chat with all other bulldogs supporters suffering the same pain, it’s needed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I was keen on Brodie Croft at the start of the season when Melbourne was keen to offload him. He signed with the Broncos for $350k a season for two seasons but everyone smashed me for even considering the idea of Croft. The money Croft is on at the Broncos is the same money we will get in compensation for Foran.
I'm not sold on Croft (probably better then what we've got but I'm not sure he's the right one - I would of loved Flanagan even if we had to add premium on top of what the Roosters offered). I just feel like every time I watch him he's struggling with the pressure (the amount of times I've seen him throw a ball too hard is worrying). It'll be interesting to see how he goes this season tho. He's also a Bulldogs fan (at least when he was growing up).