Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Dropped ball and getting totally dominated in the ruck cost us that one. It’s still very much a work in progress. I thought there was signs of life in attack but ball control really gave us no chance. When you get dominated like that in the ruck you leave yourself wide open for the ref to rule in the oppositions favour. Our pack really had to lift or we won’t be in many games this year.
Didn't rate him at Souths, still don't rate him.
Was pretty quiet tonight.

They need to realise, they HAVE TO DO MORE.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL what did you expect? Wait until Rd 5 after we get spanked by the Storm and we're staring at a 0-5 start to the season. There'll probably be 3 sack Baz threads by then.
Depends how many times Cummins is the ref tbh.

We got plenty to improve on and think we can. Stupid errors on the back of endless restarts in shit weather will wear down anyone.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was his 1st grade debut behind a well beaten pack in the pouring rain & he had to go off with a HIA. He is a late bloomer & did a few nice things in attack when he came on. Added some zip which we badly need. Give him a few games to settle in should be the way.
But we can only have instant success here in TK. Come on now. He should be a shoe in for a Test jumper first game FFS!!

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Disappointed ... yes. Expectation set to high... most likely. Still chalk & cheese our first game compared to last year. The team looked promising in attack at various stages. With the new rules, shifts in momentum can be game killers. With no penalties & no restarts, it was a game killer. However our attack in the 20 meter zone looked better although a little clunky at times. But will only get better. Ogden was disappointing did not make much impact & when tired is a liability in defense. WTF was Napa doing on the field. After 5 minutes he was done. His runs were as hard as marshmallow. Should be in Mounties until he can resemble a FG player. Cotric looked good at times, but still playing like a winger in the centres. Avarillo... not certain yet. Think we still need to preserve for a few weeks.
Not yet ready to cut the wrists for this season. With so many new players, I think they will improve. The ruck defence would have to be the main priority for next week.

Expedite

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could Napa have been any softer, he was absolutely pathetic. Numerous times he just watched players run past him and did nothing. :|

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Okay I'm still fucking furious. Like I don't even understand. Like why did Allan and Jake have ZERO involvement? Wtf did we do during preseason? I get things aren't going to work so early but it's like they didn't even try? How do you decide to play Jake and only see him have 1 run? Wtf?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1st try
Cotric error
Averillo's inside shoulder (Elliott on Pearce, Averillo on Saifiti)

2nd try
Allan error
Cotric running in creating an overlap (not trusting Jackson in cover defence)

3rd try
Allan error
6 again - Flanagan offside (?)
No one marking Barnett, Waddell and Flanagan tackling Watson, Hopoate beat on inside shoulder (Flanagan didn't trust Waddell and didn't slide)

4th try
6 again - Deitz "Holding the leg" (? - I might be hearing that wrong) - Bullshit
Averillo error
Deitz's inside shoulder (Atoni on other Saifiti, fell for decoy, and Deitz on Saifiti)

5th try
DWZ error
DWZ's inside shoulder (Hopoate miss tackle, massive overlap)

I think this sums up the night perfectly. The was also a common trend in our games last year.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought it was a penalty try. If that happened in the field of play, it's a penalty every day of the week.
One on one strip in the field of play; and you are allowed to strip if stopping a try, no matter how many in the tackle. I just couldn't see how that was interpreted as a knock on or loose carry, giving the Knights the 20 metre start.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st try
Cotric error
Averillo's inside shoulder (Elliott on Pearce, Averillo on Saifiti)

2nd try
Allan error
Cotric running in creating an overlap (not trusting Jackson in cover defence)

3rd try
Allan error
6 again - Flanagan offside (?)
No one marking Barnett, Waddell and Flanagan tackling Watson, Hopoate beat on inside shoulder (Flanagan didn't trust Waddell and didn't slide)

4th try
6 again - Deitz "Holding the leg" (? - I might be hearing that wrong) - Bullshit
Averillo error
Deitz's inside shoulder (Atoni on other Saifiti, fell for decoy, and Deitz on Saifiti)

5th try
DWZ error
DWZ's inside shoulder (Hopoate miss tackle, massive overlap)

I think this sums up the night perfectly. The was also a common trend in our games last year.
Good summation. The first and 4th tries were schoolboy stuff. I know Safiti is a handful but you can't be conceding soft tries on your own line. Hoppa's pathetic attempted tackle on Best was also embarrassing.

I hope with time the communication and trust between the players will improve but if not some of the players will find themselves in CC

I really liked the improvement in our attack and our kicking game, which will only get better when Burton arrives, but FMD I didn't imagine our defence was going to be that bad.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I'm still fucking furious. Like I don't even understand. Like why did Allan and Jake have ZERO involvement? Wtf did we do during preseason? I get things aren't going to work so early but it's like they didn't even try? How do you decide to play Jake and only see him have 1 run? Wtf?
that comes across like you are blaming the coaching for Jakes lack of involvement.

that falls squarely on Jake himself.

there is no way in the world he was instructed not to run the ball..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
that comes across like you are blaming the coaching for Jakes lack of involvement.

that falls squarely on Jake himself.

there is no way in the world he was instructed not to run the ball..
I'm blaming both. I saw this as a potential issue during the trial with Flanagan playing as the dominant playmaker and that was that the balance between the 3 playmakers was totally off. Wakeham was basically non existent for large periods of that trial until he chimed in after halftime.

I thought we would be playing a 3 halves system with Flanagan feeding Jake/Allan but instead we're playing with 1 with Jake/Allan positioned on short sides waiting for opportunities rather than injecting themselves. Not sure if this is the intended plan or just teething troubles at this stage.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I had no reception at the game (don’t ask about SuperCoach :( ) and then got drunk.

The conditions at the game were terrible but we had no respect for the footy, were too soft up the middle and Cummins was very one sided for most of the game. I’ll watch the replay but Elliott and Flanagan looks good and tried their guts out. Avo was quiet and needed more involvement.

DWZ is lacking way too much confidence and may need a stint for Mounties to rebuild his game and confidence. The knights had a lot of players out and injuries in the game so it was ours to win. We have beaten the knights a few games in a row with a weaker squad and less experienced coach. Next week will be tough but I just want to see us gel more

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Averillo was quite poor, but in hindsight could have used another week off with that elbow injury. Still looked tender and not 100%.