News Roosters set to shed stars but huge cost puts Canterbury off Latrell Mitchell

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury’s interest in Sydney Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell appears to have waned as insiders claim the premiers will have to offload at least one star within the next 12 months to remain salary cap compliant.

Mitchell is under contract at Bondi until the end of next season but can be approached by rival clubs from November 1.

There have been ongoing reports the Bulldogs desperately wanted Mitchell, a gun representative centre who helped Sydney Roosters to back-to-back titles
Even one rival NRL coach predicted that Mitchell would join Canterbury.
The Daily Telegraph though has been told Mitchell’s asking price is out of Canterbury’s price range.

One Bulldogs official said the club had “no plans” to approach Mitchell because “he wants too much.”

It flies in the face of mid-season reports Canterbury was planning on offering Mitchell a stunning 10-year deal worth $10m.

The Roosters will struggle to retain every member of their grand final-winning squad with Mitchell, prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and hooker Jake Friend all coming off after next season, as are front-rower Siosiua Taukeiaho and centre Joey Manu.
Roosters insiders say Manu is about to be re-signed but there isn’t an indication just yet where the club stands with Mitchell.

There have been external rumblings about Mitchell’s attitude this year but club officials, teammates and coaches are quick to praise his work ethic.

The suggestion that Mitchell would join Canterbury has been hovering around rugby league for six months.

Canterbury privately says they need a strike centre and Mitchell is world class. The Bulldogs however are baulking at shelling out up to $1m a season for Mitchell
The Bulldogs could alter its stance on Mitchell once the club is aware whether the player will be officially free to negotiate with rival clubs.

When asked about his future during grand final week, Mitchell told The Daily Telegraph: “The sky is the limit.

“(But) it’s something for other people to talk about. Not me. I just want to play footy, enjoy the break and then November will come around

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The roosters are taking the piss out of the nrl
“Release one player in the next 12 months to be compliant” Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahah

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever the Roosters offer him I'd increase by 150-200K Hopefully that comes in around 900K in total or under. Similar for David Fafita. If we can get these 2 young players it will help us for many years to come (4-5 year contracts - no longer). I wonder if we would still be any chance of getting Radradra for under a MIL following his great performances at the rugby world cup. Will any rugby clubs pay over a MIL a season for any player ?

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Talk about a nothing article.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sign hargraves at all costs number 1 priority

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know we're after a marquee player but Mitchell isn't the right person.

The deal talked about mid year is totally ridiculous.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It flies in the face of mid-season reports Canterbury was planning on offering Mitchell a stunning 10-year deal worth $10m.
It should say, "the reporter who said the Dogs wanted Latrell for $10 mill was making up shit (or is shit)".

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does he mean when he says it’s for others to talk about
It’s all crap
L.M is in the conversation 100% about his future
His shonky management will try to nut out a good deal and get their side salad
The only question is
Stay loyal for cheap or travel down Canterbury Rd for more coin

Let’s not pretend please

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know we're after a marquee player but Mitchell isn't the right person.

The deal talked about mid year is totally ridiculous.
Was never going to happen was it lol. Realistically.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Why even bother with latrell his mind is on retirement and goes missing during games.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't like the Manu re-signing part. Manu and Takiueho for 2021 would be nice.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
JWH could be a tad risky in that he’s on the other side of 30 and won 3 comps. Would be still have that hunger to battle it out in a team fighting it out to just make the finals?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Given the media strike rate, I can't shake the feeling this article is giving me that LM will end up in blue and white. It's like some kind of perverse self fulfilling prophecy. DWZ going to Parra not dogs. Whoops. Koriasau going to dogs. Whoops actually Penriff.

The more the media says he isn't coming, the more likely he is. If the story goes the other way than its all off.

I need a drink.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I totally agree
Throw money at him within a reasonable amount
It’s all a bit sad as a club to be honest
We sound desperate

I would feel that way if we ended the season how we started, but as Sterlo said, we can be more optimistic than the other bottom 8 sides! There is a lot of improvement in us and if we can add a key signing into the mix, so be it, if not.. then I look forward to seeing us pick up where we left off

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Given the media strike rate, I can't shake the feeling this article is giving me that LM will end up in blue and white. It's like some kind of perverse self fulfilling prophecy. DWZ going to Parra not dogs. Whoops. Koriasau going to dogs. Whoops actually Penriff.

The more the media says he isn't coming, the more likely he is. If the story goes the other way than its all off.

I need a drink.
Duck's and drakes

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Million a season for someone so mentally weak is worrying.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't sign any of em bar Manu and Radley.

The others are too old to care about us and would only care about a pay day. Would probably spend a good chunk of their time with us with the medical team too.