Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters fend off rivals to secure Manu until 2022
Author
Alicia NewtonNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 03:11 PM

Share on social media
The Sydney Roosters have fended off rivals targeting the signature of Joseph Manu with the club announcing a two-year contract extension with the Kiwi international.

Manu wasn't off contract until the end of 2020 but could have begun receiving offers from rival clubs for 2021 as early as November 1 under NRL rules.

The 23-year-old is in Auckland as part of New Zealand's preparations for Saturday's Test against Great Britain and had been linked to several NRL clubs following his side's back-to-back premierships.

"The Roosters is home to me, I love this club," Manu said in a statement.

"Trent [Robinson], the coaches, the players, they've all made me a better person and a better player and I consider myself incredibly fortunate to know that I'll continue to be part of the team at the Roosters for at least the next three years."

Five key match-ups of the Roosters' 2020 draw

Manu came through the Roosters' SG Ball and under 20s development system and has become an integral part of the Tricolours' backline.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson was pleased to have secured the talented centre.

"Joseph is highly-regarded by his teammates and all the coaching staff for both the athlete and the person he is," Robinson said.

"Joey's work ethic is outstanding and he holds himself accountable on the field, but just as importantly, he is a good man who embodies the values we want in our players, so it's great news to have him extend with the club."

Manu's 17-year-old brother Kani will join the club's SG Ball squad in 2020.

The Roosters' next mission will now turn to the retention of Manu's centre partner Latrell Mitchell and rugged prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Both players can begin to field offers from rivals from the end of the week.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters fend off rivals to secure Manu until 2022
Author
Alicia NewtonNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 03:11 PM

Share on social media
The Sydney Roosters have fended off rivals targeting the signature of Joseph Manu with the club announcing a two-year contract extension with the Kiwi international.

Manu wasn't off contract until the end of 2020 but could have begun receiving offers from rival clubs for 2021 as early as November 1 under NRL rules.

The 23-year-old is in Auckland as part of New Zealand's preparations for Saturday's Test against Great Britain and had been linked to several NRL clubs following his side's back-to-back premierships.

"The Roosters is home to me, I love this club," Manu said in a statement.

"Trent [Robinson], the coaches, the players, they've all made me a better person and a better player and I consider myself incredibly fortunate to know that I'll continue to be part of the team at the Roosters for at least the next three years."

Five key match-ups of the Roosters' 2020 draw

Manu came through the Roosters' SG Ball and under 20s development system and has become an integral part of the Tricolours' backline.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson was pleased to have secured the talented centre.

"Joseph is highly-regarded by his teammates and all the coaching staff for both the athlete and the person he is," Robinson said.

"Joey's work ethic is outstanding and he holds himself accountable on the field, but just as importantly, he is a good man who embodies the values we want in our players, so it's great news to have him extend with the club."

Manu's 17-year-old brother Kani will join the club's SG Ball squad in 2020.

The Roosters' next mission will now turn to the retention of Manu's centre partner Latrell Mitchell and rugged prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Both players can begin to field offers from rivals from the end of the week.
Looks like we definitely have to go all out for Mitchell now. We definitely need a centre to replace Holland or an upgrade at fullback

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fend off rivals? Really?

What rivals were there to fend off? He was secured by the Roosters there was never any doubt.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe the whispers about us and lattrell are true

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I despise the Roosters and everything they stand for..... hope they have a shit year next year without Cronk..

Alex Hunter

Dog4Life
Reaction score
How much a year you reckon??? I’m guessing at least 600k...

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Like with Mitchell, the idea that he was ever available for other clubs to poach, was just pumping up his contract $$.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone really surprised? Uncle Nick always gets his man! $200k under the cap and the rest under tpa! Greenturd the cap is working beautifully!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Big fucking surprise. Now watch them go and sign Fifita without the NRL batting an eyelid while the Wests Tigers have to release ten players just to get cap compliant. It's a good competition.

The Copa Libertadores while Escobar and the other cartel leaders all owned teams was less corrupt than the NRL is.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing to see here guys, move along.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s been said to death but I’ll say it again. The only players to leave the Roosters are the ones they are happy to let go. The only exception was $BW but he had to promise to come back.

Expect David Fifita and $BW signings to be announced shortly along with a Latrell extension.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fend off rivals? Really?

What rivals were there to fend off? He was secured by the Roosters there was never any doubt.
Your kidding???? I have it on good authority that we were about to table a very attractive offer come Nov. 1. His manager was aware of what was about to be tabled.

Interesting that NOWHERE today can you find what he was promised in the extension. This is typical of the Rorters. Let it be known that it was $xxx in contract plus free rent in 2 of Uncle Nicks apartments in Bondi plus an untraceable demonstrator car from one of Uncle Nicks car yards plus $xx in registered TPA plus a brown paper bag full of folding stuff. I smell a rat.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your kidding???? I have it on good authority that we were about to table a very attractive offer come Nov. 1. His manager was aware of what was about to be tabled.

Interesting that NOWHERE today can you find what he was promised in the extension. This is typical of the Rorters. Let it be known that it was $xxx in contract plus free rent in 2 of Uncle Nicks apartments in Bondi plus an untraceable demonstrator car from one of Uncle Nicks car yards plus $xx in registered TPA plus a brown paper bag full of folding stuff. I smell a rat.
Surely one day, there must me a whistle blower....

Banned
Reaction score

A rat?
The whole joint is filled with them!

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A rat?
The whole joint is filled with them!
There’s obviously post-retirement benefits that continue if you’ve ever set foot in the roosters organisation. Just need one to get offered something more lucrative from another source to speak up