Gilded
Reaction score
On NRL website:

Roosters confirm Cronk signing
Mon 30 Oct, 2017, 1:10pm
Roosters media, NRL.com
EMAIL
PRINT

The Roosters have signed Cooper Cronk to a two-year deal. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
The Sydney Roosters have today announced the signing of Cooper Cronk on a two-year deal for seasons 2018 and 2019.

33 year-old Cronk is a two-time Dally M Player of the Year medalist and has played 323 first grade games since making his NRL debut with the Melbourne Storm in 2004.

"We are delighted to have secured the services of Cooper for the next two seasons," said Roosters Chief Executive Joe Kelly.

"Cooper has played the game at the highest level for a number of years and we are keenly aware of what he brings to the club. Together with the established leaders within our squad, we see him as a wonderful addition to our roster," he added.

Cronk expressed his delight to be joining the foundation club, saying: "The Sydney Roosters are a proud club with an esteemed history, and this is an exciting new opportunity for me."

"It marks the start of a new chapter for me both professionally and personally and I look forward to joining my new teammates and coaches, and immersing myself in the club's culture in lead-up to the 2018 season," he added.

The Australian representative will officially join the Roosters in early 2018 following his World Cup commitments.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Must be nice to have a salary cap that gives you a spine of-

1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Cronk
9. Friend

14. Pearce

Only at the Roosters and maybe Broncos.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
October 30, 2017 1:08pm
Nathan Ryan
FOX SPORTS
Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk inks $2 million Sydney Roosters NRL deal

Cooper Cronk of the Storm celebrates.
Cooper Cronk of the Storm celebrates.
COOPER Cronk is officially a Rooster.

Confirming one of rugby league’s worst kept secrets, the tri colours have announced the signing of Cronk on a two-year deal.

Foxsports.com.au understands the deal is worth around $2 million.

Cronk is expected to break his silence on Monday’s NRL360 on Fox League at 7.30pm.

“The Sydney Roosters are a proud club with an esteemed history, and this is an exciting new opportunity for me,” Cronk said in a statement on Monday.

“It marks the start of a new chapter for me both professionally and personally and I look forward to joining my new teammates and coaches, and immersing myself in the club’s culture in lead-up to the 2018 season.”

Watch Cooper Cronk’s first interview as a Rooster on Fox Sports! You can stream NRL360 right here — SIGN UP HERE

Since announcing earlier this year he would leave Melbourne and move to Sydney to be closer to fiance Fox Sports presenter Tara Rushton, Cronk’s signature has been heavily sought after.

An Origin and Australian star, Cronk is a proven match winner.

While the likes of Cronulla and South Sydney were keen on the No.7, the Roosters won the race.

Cooper Cronk of the Storm celebrates victory over the Cowboys.
Cooper Cronk of the Storm celebrates victory over the Cowboys.
The decision makers at the Roosters feel Cronk is the missing piece to their premiership puzzle.

But the deal could cost them.

Financially the deal is significant but culturally the decision to sign the champion No.7 has caused a stir in Bondi.

Arguably the club’s most significant signing since Sonny Bill Williams in 2012, Cronk joins the Roosters on lucrative deal.

With big money comes lofty expectations, especially when you consider the impact it’s had on their roster.

“We are delighted to have secured the services of Cooper for the next two seasons,” said Roosters Chief Executive Joe Kelly.

“Cooper has played the game at the highest level for a number of years and we are keenly aware of what he brings to the club.

“Together with the established leaders within our squad, we see him as a wonderful addition to our roster.”

While the Roosters want Mitchell Pearce to stay on next season, his future remains unclear.

A favourite among the playing group, Pearce is within his right to see out the remaining two years on his contract which the club wants him to do but a demotion to the bench could see him request a release.

The powerbrokers at the club clearly think Cronk is worth the risk despite turning 34 in December.

The decision to play on next season stunned many with those close to him expecting he would hang up the boots after 14 seasons in the top grade with the Storm.

Cooper Cronk of the Storm takes photos with the crowd.
Cooper Cronk of the Storm takes photos with the crowd.
But still in career best form, Cronk isn’t ready to retire.

With his manager declaring a few weeks ago that Cronk was keen to explore his options in Sydney, the Roosters were always going to get their man.

A powerful club with strong business connections, Cronk’s desire to grow his business portfolio in Sydney only added to the allure of the Roosters.

The Test star is yet to speak publicly about the move and has remained silent on his future since the Storm’s 2017 premiership victory over North Queensland several weeks back.

The Roosters face the Storm on June 29, five days after Origin II.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous. No way in hell this is above board.... obviously.

They still won't win the comp... haha what a bunch of pathetic, soul deficient cheats!

So who are they letting go? I'd love to have a super bendy, elastic salary cap like those pricks.

How stupid does the nrl think we are? It obviously does the club many, many favours.

The pathetic thing is those tri coloured shitstains still won't win the comp.... just watch the fuckers fall at the last or second last hurdle next year... they have no soul and you don't win premierships without good club culture. Just watch them waste the best and most illegal roster in the nrl by bowing out in the preliminaries. Just a bunch of immoral, cash splashing losers. Maybe even the roosters can win with such an absurd roster... but I doubt it. I really think they roll choke.

No more premierships for Cronk.

PS congratulations Cooper, you're now officially a fuckwit and you've signed on to play with a bunch of cheats. Money talks eh? People say he has integrity! Ha! Somehow, I doubt it.

No way in Hell the roosters can afford him... I'm eagerly awaiting the articles pressuring the club to release players and the threats of Greenberg to not register Cronk's contract...because the NRL and Roosters must think fans are ducking stupid if they expect us to just accept that the roosters can afford an extra million dollar a season superstar. There's just no way. This is absolutely absurd!

Politis, Greenberg and Cronk are all dishonest twats.

End rant.

I hate that fucking club with a passion! Haha.

Last edited:

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous. No way in hell this is above board.... obviously.

They still won't win the comp... haha what a bunch of pathetic, soul deficient cheats!

So who are they letting go? I'd love to have a super bendy, elastic salary cap like those pricks.

How stupid does the nrl think we are? It obviously does the club many, many favours.
Unbelievable isn't it? And not a peep from any media outlet about how all this is possible without having to shed talent. Any other team would have to lose 2 or 3 players but not the Roosters. Apparently they have a 1 million dollar war chest just for emergencies. The NRL is truly farked.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How on earth....

So they get Tedesco and Cronk and not a thing about their Salary Cap?

What is the point of a salary cap if you let clubs skirt around it. Looking at it logically this is up there with Roosters signing Jennings, Maloney and SBW all in the one season, it's a complete twisting of the rules. Better to just abolish the cap altogether

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speechless, absolutely speechless. I am without speech.

Reactions: DT

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Unbelievable isn't it? And not a peep from any media outlet about how all this is possible without having to shed talent. Any other team would have to lose 2 or 3 players but not the Roosters. Apparently they have a 1 million dollar war chest just for emergencies. The NRL is truly farked.
It's getting absurd... I mean how stupid do they think fans are? Such a corrupt competition. The nrl is a national embarrassment to all with enough brains to realise how crooked it is.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Took us 6 years to sign a hobbling mentally ill Foran and the Roosters get Cronk and Tedesco in one season.
They generally open up the transit lounge in flurries.

Remember they signed Maloney, Ferguson, Jennings and SBW in the one season.

Mason, Anasta, Myles, O’Meley in the space of what, 2 seasons?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They generally open up the transit lounge in flurries.

Remember they signed Maloney, Ferguson, Jennings and SBW in the one season.

Mason, Anasta, Myles, O’Meley in the space of what, 2 seasons?
Yep, they got Anasta in 06, Myles in 07 and both O'Meley and Mason in 08.

Status
Not open for further replies.