News Roosters baulk at Tedesco request amid Suaalii contract showdown

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think we need a Nathan Brown type. He's good for a few conceeded penalties at game normally.

I can't see Roosters releasing Tedesco. Papers are fapping on over it, but the reality is they'lll find space for Teddy, Suaalii, and Manu in their side easily.

Suaalii - fullback or halves.
Tedesco - fullback or halves.
Manu - centre.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘Hasn’t gone down well’: Roosters baulk at Tedesco request amid Suaalii contract showdown

Staff Writers from Fox Sports
March 8th, 2023 3:47 pm
The Roosters face an awkward dilemma with James Tedesco and Joseph Suaalii coming off-contract at the same time, with the club reportedly unhappy with their skipper’s extension requests.

Suaalii recently committed to the Roosters for 2024, with Tedesco also coming off-contract at the end of next season.
The Sydney Morning Herald’s Andrew Webster told SEN radio that the Roosters are unhappy with Tedesco’s management for hounding them for an extension for 2025.

“They’ve got a really interesting situation off the field with Tedesco and Suaalii,” Webster said on SEN 1170 Mornings.

“Joseph Suaalii has triggered his option for 2024 but that means both him and James Tedesco will be coming off contract at the same time.

“James Tedesco’s management have been pushing the Roosters for the last few months to get an extra year on his contract, that hasn’t gone down particularly well with Roosters management.

“Particularly Nick Politis who doesn’t like getting bullied into triggering contracts, particularly when the player is very well paid.”

James Tedesco wants an extension for 2025.

James Tedesco wants an extension for 2025.Source: Getty Images

Tedesco is on $1.1 million a season, while Suaalii will reportedly earn $700,000 in 2024, but he could command a deal of around $1 million annually for 2025 and beyond.

Webster believes the Roosters could be forced to choose between Tedesco, who turns 32 in 2025 and the younger Suaalii, who will be just 21 that same year with the bulk of his career still ahead of him.

Joseph Suaalii comes off-contract at the same time as Tedesco.

Joseph Suaalii comes off-contract at the same time as Tedesco.

“The salary cap makes clubs work in advance about what their future is going to look like, but this is a very tricky one,” Webster said.

“They’ve got arguably the best fullback in the game, in James Tedesco and arguably the best future fullback in the game in Joseph Suaalii.

“If they get forced to choose in the next year it’s going to be a very tricky one for the club to handle.”

Nothing that a brown paper bag from uncle Nick won't fix...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talking of Suaalii, he got off his late hit dog shot by the MRC with only a fine. Fucking joke. Roosters get the special treatment once again. Should have at least got a week. It was way late and a dog shot while the Warriors player had his back turned after off-loading the ball.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would not be losing any sleep over missing out on Brown at this stage of his career. TPJ should be back in a few weeks anyway.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brown s injured at the moment i think, and is injury prone. Glad we didn't try and get him

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not convinced any amount of "money" (in brown paper bags or not) will solve this, the way I see it Tedesco has earned the right to finish at fullback in the timeframe that he chooses. He will feel personally insulted if they push him out of the fullback spot before he wants to leave. Suaali'i is an impatient SOB and wants to play fullback now, not tomorrow, not next round, not next year, but right now. If he doesn't get what he wants he will go to Union, which is still a possibility even if he gets what he wants. The Chooks would look like dumb farks if they pushed Tedesco out and Suaali'i then left the next year to go to Union, he likes the one year contract with options his way.

My view is Tedesco should ask for an immediate release if he gets even the slightest hint that he is going to be pushed into early retirement. Which could mean he might be available for next season.

Always a Bulldog

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
God I hate the Roosters.

They are the only team who can have three players who should all be on FB money in the one team lol

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Rooters are a spent force, Cowfusi single handedly destroyed their pack

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that was over nice and quickly. With Rolexs raining from the skies, he was never going anywhere else.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like I said before the season, the Roosters are and will continue to be a mediocre team despite their star studded backline because of how average their pack is. They lost to the Dolphins and barely beat the Warriors. They're at best a team that will lose in week one of the finals. They haven't been a serious threat to win the comp for years. Which makes their continual salary cap rorting all the more hilarious when they break the rules and still can't contend.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
JWH
Collins
Smith
Crichton
Tupouniua
Radley

Watson
E. Butcher
Lodge
N. Butcher

Still a very strong forward pack imo

They've got a decent amount of injuries in their forward pack + they're picking up injuries and HIA's during games.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
JWH
Collins
Smith
Crichton
Tupouniua
Radley

Watson
E. Butcher
Lodge
N. Butcher

Still a very strong forward pack imo

They've got a decent amount of injuries in their forward pack + they're picking up injuries and HIA's during games.
If it was such a strong pack they'd be contending for titles with that backline and their halves. Their pack is their weakness. Like you said, they're constantly injured or suspended. Whenever the Roosters have won comps it's because their pack was one of their strengths. The reason why they're a team that finishes 5-8th these days is because their pack is average and overrated.

JWH - over the hill thug
Collins - good player but lots of injuries
Smith - very overrated, doesn't even play 80 minutes
Chrichton - personal issues, who knows when he'll be back
Sitili - regressed the last few years, defensive liability
Radley - massively overrated. Often injured and suspended

The Butcher Brothers are solid, consistent players. Watson is a good utility but is always injured. Lodge is solid..

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
JWH - over the hill thug
Collins - good player but lots of injuries
Smith - very overrated, doesn't even play 80 minutes
Chrichton - personal issues, who knows when he'll be back
Sitili - regressed the last few years, defensive liability
Radley - massively overrated. Often injured and suspended
The Butcher Brothers are solid, consistent players. Watson is a good utility but is always injured. Lodge is solid..
Lodge signed for the rest of 22 for $100k....Chokks are clun 4 and hasn't got the best record.
JWH is not the same impact forward but is there to be the alpha dog.
Rads was better but tackling style tone down has taken a lot away.
Manu knocked back $1m from Warriors to stay at Easts.
Fletch Baker, Nate Butcher, Hutch not on huge $$$

Smith...would have kept Verrills personally.

Robbo I reckon should only have this season. Imo he's getting stale or the players don't hear the message any more. Robbo isn't untouchable like the media reckon.

And on the media they are talking up Fri against the vermin. Look the vermin will most likely win easily. Chooks haven't shown much so far and the vermin are a pox on the Chooks.

You want a club to hate then the vermin should be top of the list.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Robbo I reckon should only have this season. Imo he's getting stale or the players don't hear the message any more. Robbo isn't untouchable like the media reckon.
That's a point we can agree on. I think Robinson is getting desperate, has made some strange decisions the last 3 years and he is desperate for a reason.

Always a Bulldog