News Roosters baulk at Tedesco request amid Suaalii contract showdown

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘Hasn’t gone down well’: Roosters baulk at Tedesco request amid Suaalii contract showdown

Staff Writers from Fox Sports
March 8th, 2023 3:47 pm
The Roosters face an awkward dilemma with James Tedesco and Joseph Suaalii coming off-contract at the same time, with the club reportedly unhappy with their skipper’s extension requests.

Suaalii recently committed to the Roosters for 2024, with Tedesco also coming off-contract at the end of next season.
The Sydney Morning Herald’s Andrew Webster told SEN radio that the Roosters are unhappy with Tedesco’s management for hounding them for an extension for 2025.

“They’ve got a really interesting situation off the field with Tedesco and Suaalii,” Webster said on SEN 1170 Mornings.

“Joseph Suaalii has triggered his option for 2024 but that means both him and James Tedesco will be coming off contract at the same time.

“James Tedesco’s management have been pushing the Roosters for the last few months to get an extra year on his contract, that hasn’t gone down particularly well with Roosters management.

“Particularly Nick Politis who doesn’t like getting bullied into triggering contracts, particularly when the player is very well paid.”

James Tedesco wants an extension for 2025.

James Tedesco wants an extension for 2025.Source: Getty Images

Tedesco is on $1.1 million a season, while Suaalii will reportedly earn $700,000 in 2024, but he could command a deal of around $1 million annually for 2025 and beyond.

Webster believes the Roosters could be forced to choose between Tedesco, who turns 32 in 2025 and the younger Suaalii, who will be just 21 that same year with the bulk of his career still ahead of him.

Joseph Suaalii comes off-contract at the same time as Tedesco.

Joseph Suaalii comes off-contract at the same time as Tedesco.

“The salary cap makes clubs work in advance about what their future is going to look like, but this is a very tricky one,” Webster said.

“They’ve got arguably the best fullback in the game, in James Tedesco and arguably the best future fullback in the game in Joseph Suaalii.

“If they get forced to choose in the next year it’s going to be a very tricky one for the club to handle.”

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Get suaali here let the roosters keep Tedesco ..unload Crighton to the ARU

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Joseph Manu should be their next fullback not Joseph Suaalii unless they intend to go with:

1. Joseph Suaalii
6. Joseph Manu
7. Sam Walker
9. Brandon Smith

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Joseph Manu should be their next fullback not Joseph Suaalii unless they intend to go with:

1. Joseph Suaalii
6. Joseph Manu
7. Sam Walker
9. Brandon Smith
Both of them will want to play fullback. I reckon Manu is the better of the two at this stage and could probably be the best player in the game if he moves to FB. Hope Gus can bring him over.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tedesco is doing the old run the slip and slide over, it's only a matter of time before he gets himself close lined again. Every time he gets close to the defensive line he falls or slides to avoid the contact.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love him to leave the chooks and wear dogs colours but a man can only dream

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My guess is they will punt Teddy, still keep Suaalii and Manu... But will will also sign Welsby and have another 3 way battle

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Get suaali here let the roosters keep Tedesco ..unload Crighton to the ARU
As a Chook I agree. Let this kid go wherever the hell he wants .

I'm not prepared to give up Teddy for some green kid who's got a shit load of miles to go to get near what Teddy has achieved. And WTF the Roosters are pissing about for an extra 1 year for Teddy is insanely stupid. Give him til the end of2025.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
As a Chook I agree. Let this kid go wherever the hell he wants .

I'm not prepared to give up Teddy for some green kid who's got a shit load of miles to go to get near what Teddy has achieved. And WTF the Roosters are pissing about for an extra 1 year for Teddy is insanely stupid. Give him til the end of2025.
Hmmmmmm, keep the leagues best FB, or gamble on some kid with a bit of potential who is a money hungry whore ready to jump to union......

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a gamble at all he is already proven he is a freak athlete and is killing it at 19