News Roosters ask Rabbitohs to release Joseph Suaalii

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL
Roosters ask Rabbitohs to release Joseph Suaalii

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

The transfer market is heating up, with schoolboy superstar Joseph Suaalii rejecting a $2 million contract extension at the Rabbitohs as he eyes a long-term deal at the Roosters.

The Sydney Roosters have opened communications with arch-rivals the South Sydney Rabbitohs to release boom teenager Joseph Suaalii from the final year of his contract.
The 17-year-old schoolboy superstar has rejected a $2 million contract extension at the Rabbitohs and wants to sign a long-term deal at the Roosters.

He has been in talks with Roosters coach Trent Robinson and the club’s head of recruitment Daniel Anderson for several weeks.

1603675274129.png

Anderson rang Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly on Monday morning to discuss the possibility of Suaalii coming straight to the Roosters.

The Rabbitohs remain noncommittal.

They have not been approached by Suaalii’s family or advisers for a release.

Whatever happens, the Roosters will have to pay a development fee to the Rabbitohs, 25 per cent of the first year of his NRL contract. It is expected to be more than $50,000.
1603675298657.png

The Roosters can’t sign Suaalii until November but he can’t play first grade until he is 18, unless the NRL relaxes its rules.

Suaalii has knocked back the Wests Tigers to play for the Roosters.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So whats actually going on? Did Souffs stuff up somewhere along the line and Suaalii basically decided he doesn't want to have anything to do with them, or have Chooks done a Bonkos/Barba thing and gotten into the kids head?

Also, what are the odds on the NRL changing the rules regarding age for NRL once Suaalii is signed with the chooks?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So whats actually going on? Did Souffs stuff up somewhere along the line and Suaalii basically decided he doesn't want to have anything to do with them, or have Chooks done a Bonkos/Barba thing and gotten into the kids head?

Also, what are the odds on the NRL changing the rules regarding age for NRL once Suaalii is signed with the chooks?
There's a lot of chatter to the latter. The Roosters have been in his ear and done what the Roosters do best and make a lot of promises and sell the club as the glitz and glamour of the league.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Whatever happened to the notion that you couldnt approach a player on contract???
We should have gone for this kid imo, but i guess we need players for next year.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the notion that you couldnt approach a player on contract???
We should have gone for this kid imo, but i guess we need players for next year.
Yeah, once we have a team that is making the 8 we will realistically be in a position to approach the best 14-16 year olds and get them on board.

But yes, the whole thing about respecting the contract is a complete farce.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, once we have a team that is making the 8 we will realistically be in a position to approach the best 14-16 year olds and get them on board.

But yes, the whole thing about respecting the contract is a complete farce.
Its a joke really. Especially whwn some teams seem to get around it constantly. At what point will the NRLol actually step in and start fining clubs for ignoring this rule??
Cant wait for the day we have a successfull fg team and we start pumping out quality juniors again!!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Its a joke really. Especially whwn some teams seem to get around it constantly. At what point will the NRLol actually step in and start fining clubs for ignoring this rule??
Cant wait for the day we have a successfull fg team and we start pumping out quality juniors again!!!
There will be a crackdown when a non-favoured team gets caught doing it, but as to whether or not that will cause everyone else to pull their heads in, who knows...

Might be worth the club sitting down with a few lawyers and experienced types and seeing if they can work things out so that any evidence of another club getting into the ear of one of our players can be chased up with something heavy hitting...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There will be a crackdown when a non-favoured team gets caught doing it, but as to whether or not that will cause everyone else to pull their heads in, who knows...

Might be worth the club sitting down with a few lawyers and experienced types and seeing if they can work things out so that any evidence of another club getting into the ear of one of our players can be chased up with something heavy hitting...
I like it.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the rule was changed, you can approach a player at any time you just cant have them sign a contract until Nov 1st

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As soon as I heard about those BS get out clauses I started to think "Roosters". They were just a smokescreen to cover up that it was the Roosters chasing him not the ARU. Whats the bet there will be no get out clauses when he signs with them.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as I heard about those BS get out clauses I started to think "Roosters". They were just a smokescreen to cover up that it was the Roosters chasing him not the ARU. Whats the bet there will be no get out clauses when he signs with them.
Of course there won't be. If we're going to invest in this kid we want a return on that investment and that means staying and producing. He can't do one without doing the other.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In a word, predictable.

If he moves there'll be stories about how it's about becoming the best he can be and that the Roosters is the only place that can happen.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Of course there won't be. If we're going to invest in this kid we want a return on that investment and that means staying and producing. He can't do one without doing the other.
Well that's kind of my point. The clauses themselves were bogus....they never expected the bunnies (or any club for that matter) to agree to them. He was always going to the Roosters. As to why?...well that's anyone's guess. Probably something to do with half price real estate for his extended family courtesy of Uncle Nick lol.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's kind of my point. The clauses themselves were bogus....they never expected the bunnies (or any club for that matter) to agree to them. He was always going to the Roosters. As to why?...well that's anyone's guess. Probably something to do with half price real estate for his extended family courtesy of Uncle Nick lol.
I can tell you why, because it will piss off Crowe, Denton, Ray Warren, a fat **** of a neighbour, Anthony Albanese, two mates, Snoop Dog, my aunty, Mike Cannon-Brookes and a plethora of toothless, hillbilly scab fans.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can tell you why, because it will piss off Crowe, Denton, Ray Warren, a fat c*** of a neighbour, Anthony Albanese, two mates, Snoop Dog, my aunty, Mike Cannon-Brookes and a plethora of toothless, hillbilly scab fans.
Ha....no that's why Politis signed Sualli not why Sualli signed with the Roosters lol. Your very touchy there mate.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sualli signed because of our colours, no rationale person likes menstrual red and snot green next to each. And not touchy, just excited to be farking over lol@souffs.
I really don't give a toss one way or the other tbh. Nick Politis is a smart operator but imo his one weakness is his absolute hatred for Souths. Take the Angus Crichton drama....the only reason he paid the guy 900K a year is because he wanted to shaft souths. I mean the guys a decent 2nd rower but he's on about 300K too much. 900K is outrageous for that guy and no other club would fork out that amount.

Anyway we'll see how it all pans out.....but stuff like this has a way of coming back and biting you on the arse sometimes. Time will tell.