Rod Silva

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Andy Raymond podcast with Rod Silva looking at the 98 prelim came out yday. Had a bit of a listen today and not bad.

Theres no other off season content until we confirm Burton, Allen and JAC for 21 plus annouce Lewis' multi year extension...so enjoy.

Full version on apple music or spotify

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once in a while you come across a good cop that doesn't believe in hate crime.
He wouldn't have any trouble running down a burglar.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Listened to it just now. Great podcast. Rocket sounded a little bit different to what I thought he'd sound like. Was an awesome trip down memory lane.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What stood out in this podcast for me is that it is a perfect precedent for fitness, Rod said it himself our team of "98" knew that if they played the whole 80 minutes they had these guys. Our team these past few seasons have looked unfit, lethargic and disinterested.....a far cry from our 98 team. I believe that with our new coaching staff for 21 and having Dan Ferris as our Head of High Performance the team will once again be able to play the whole 80 minutes and the near loses that we suffered last year will be transformed into wins as the team become fitter and stronger moving forward.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What stood out in this podcast for me is that it is a perfect precedent for fitness, Rod said it himself our team of "98" knew that if they played the whole 80 minutes they had these guys. Our team these past few seasons have looked unfit, lethargic and disinterested.....a far cry from our 98 team. I believe that with our new coaching staff for 21 and having Dan Ferris as our Head of High Performance the team will once again be able to play the whole 80 minutes and the near loses that we suffered last year will be transformed into wins as the team become fitter and stronger moving forward.
We haven’t been an 80 minute side since Hasler took over.come 60 minute Mark we are gassed and other teams run over the top of us.so many games we led untill the 60th minute.game against the dragons last year we led untill the 70th minute‍♂

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We haven’t been an 80 minute side since Hasler took over.come 60 minute Mark we are gassed and other teams run over the top of us.so many games we led untill the 60th minute.game against the dragons last year we led untill the 70th minute‍♂
Haven't played for the full 80 minute games since Hasler took over nor had the best 17 picked or played in their best positions.

No wonder........

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have to agree on this. Many of our losses were formed in ten minute patches where a combination of fitness and lack of composure were incredibly costly.

I was lucky enough to have a good chat with Rod Silva at a legends game in Tamworth. Really down to earth fellow. Still looks fit enough to play league professionally. And he's still a dog's fan. Loved him as a player and now I have a huge amount of respect for him as a person. O'Meley and Darren Smith were both involved in the game but weren't really as happy to chat.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still remember the day of that game. It was one of those moments you remember where you were when you heard the big news. I was at home listening to the radio and just before our first try with a serious case of the shits I gave up and switched off the radio with about 10 mins to go after we blew what seemed our last decent opportunity to get back into the game with enough time to do so. About 10 -15 minutes later I got in my car to pick up my wife from the train station and when I turned on the radio I literally couldn't believe when I heard that we'd won.

Last edited:

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still remember the day of that game. It was one of those moments you remember where you were when you heard the big news. I was at home listening to the radio and just before our first try with a serious case of the shits I gave up and switched off the radio with about 10 mins to go after we blew what seemed our last decent opportunity to get back into the game with enough time to do so. About 10 -15 minutes later I got in my car to pick up my wife from the train station and when I turned on the radio I literally couldn't believe when I heard that we'd won.
Same i was pissed off walked out with 15 to go i start hearing the mrs going apeshit inside the house thought she cornered a mouse she hates mice turns out shes glued to the tv telling me to go back outside im a jinx apparently but i ignored her a watched the greatest comeback id ever see a great day

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same i was pissed off walked out with 15 to go i start hearing the mrs going apeshit inside the house thought she cornered a mouse she hates mice turns out shes glued to the tv telling me to go back outside im a jinx apparently but i ignored her a watched the greatest comeback id ever see a great day
I was staying with an Aunty and cousin in Sydney at that point. I'd planned to go to the local RSL with my cousin after the game and like you two I was convinced to leave with about 15 minutes remaining and run for a bus. Got on the bus and started hearing the comeback on the radio. Me and my cousin were both going apeshit on the bus and the driver (who we worked out quickly was a dog's fan) also cheered every try. We wound up staying on the bus for four extra stops to listen till the end.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love how he feels sorry for Paul carage hahahaha
haha hes too nice old Rod
I say fuck him!

We havent had a complete game since that one at Belmore V Storm, and we havent been the same since that Cowboys game at Belmore.

Our defence was always good even when we were shit but Dean Pay ripped up that and effort has been the only thing keeping us in anything the past 3 years

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was a beauty Rocket Rod forgot he was a copper must be one of the good ones.
Best finish to a game that i've attended live EVER that 98 semi, me and a mate wanted to pissoff early like heaps were at 18-2 down nek minute the boys are scoring at will(and Rod firstly off that wicked Relf offload), we had a bet on them to win in normal time it was almost the most perfect day ever if Polly's awesome but gifted field goal attempt travelled another metre..idgaf about the money though that win was bloody great.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely loved Rocket Rod. Had the pleasure of sharing a table with his auntie at the Leagues club during the 1995 GF against Manly and shared a hug and high fives when Rocket scored and the full time siren rang out another premiership to the mighty Bulldogs.

On the finals game in '98, .... was very down when Parra had what looked like a winning lead until nek minit one of the best ever comebacks I have ever heard.

I had given up all hope , yet something made me not walk away from the radio...the commentary team actually got right behind the boys and it was so exciting listening to them describe what was unfolding at the ground. Made sure that as soon as practicable I watched a replay of the game just to make myself believe that what I heard actually happened. Then...... wham bam thank you maam, the disappointing grand final display against the Broncos. In saying that though we came from NINTH place, winning four games during the final series and had a lot to be proud of.....we led 10-2 at half time but then 28 unanswered points sunk us....

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely loved Rocket Rod. Had the pleasure of sharing a table with his auntie at the Leagues club during the 1995 GF against Manly and shared a hug and high fives when Rocket scored and the full time siren rang out another premiership to the mighty Bulldogs.

On the finals game in '98, .... was very down when Parra had what looked like a winning lead until nek minit one of the best ever comebacks I have ever heard.

I had given up all hope , yet something made me not walk away from the radio...the commentary team actually got right behind the boys and it was so exciting listening to them describe what was unfolding at the ground. Made sure that as soon as practicable I watched a replay of the game just to make myself believe that what I heard actually happened. Then...... wham bam thank you maam, the disappointing grand final display against the Broncos. In saying that though we came from NINTH place, winning four games during the final series and had a lot to be proud of.....we led 10-2 at half time but then 28 unanswered points sunk us....
Was a pretty tough finals series in the lead up too. Not many sides would handle extra time games in succession like that.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes sadly we just ran out of gas had momentum but short on energy no criticism from me though, what an epic charge and one of our finest years obviously.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haven't played for the full 80 minute games since Hasler took over nor had the best 17 picked or played in their best positions.

No wonder........
The last few Haslers years were bad.. but I remember some crackers with Hasler as coach the team used to fight for the full 80mins usually..

We had 3 one point wins in a row in 2014.. together with so many golden point wins against Manly under Des which were awesome.. then that Semi VS Dragons & Manly were we knocked both out in Golden point..

Some great memories there..

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The last few Haslers years were bad.. but I remember some crackers with Hasler as coach the team used to fight for the full 80mins usually..

We had 3 one point wins in a row in 2014.. together with so many golden point wins against Manly under Des which were awesome.. then that Semi VS Dragons & Manky were we knocked both out in Gooden point..

Some great memories there..
True :grinning:

When the team has been so off pace for a few years, you tend to forget the better games unfortunately.