RIP Toecutter and Immortan Joe

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hugh Keays-Byrne has died at age 73.

Byrne was famously known for his role as "Immortan Joe" in Max Max: Fury Road in 2015. He was also in the original Mad Max movie in 1979 where he played Toecutter.

1606964967323.png

"Hugh Keays-Byrne, an unsung hero of Aussie cinema, has passed away at age 73," he said. "I'm continually floored that he played Toecutter, the central antagonist of 1979's MAD MAX *and* Immortan Joe, the central antagonist 2015's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. Thanks for all the entertainment, sir."

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hugh Keays-Byrne portrayal of the biker outlaw Toecutter in the first Mad Max film was the one I will always remember.. He was simply menacing..he gave me the same chills as Heath Ledger would do years later in the Dark Knight as the Joker..
This clip that follows unnerves me completely..the way he turns around and holds the station attendant’s face, and says, “The Night Rider, that is his name. The Night Rider.’ To me it is frightening, but above all superb acting.

R.I.P. Keays -Byrne, thank you for making one of my all time favourite movies, the Australian classic it is.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hugh Keays-Byrne portrayal of the biker outlaw Toecutter in the first Mad Max film was the one I will always remember.. He was simply menacing..he gave me the save chills as Heath Ledger would do years later in the Dark Knight as the Joker. R.I.P. Keays -Byrne, a great Aussie actor.

This clip that follows unnerves me completely..the way he turns around and holds the station attendant’s face, and says, “The Knight Rider, that is his name.’ To me it is frightening, but above all superb acting.

I've watched the original Mad Max a few times and if I'm being honest the production values were shit. But it was the acting that carried the movie and like you said the Toecutter was brilliant as the bad guy.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've watched the original Mad Max a few times and if I'm being honest the production values were shit. But it was the acting that carried the movie and like you said the Toecutter was brilliant as the bad guy.
He sure is.. I actually love the way it looks..so bloody 1970s Aussie!! Lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
TBF, the film's budget was less than $400K.

It did make >$100M at the box office though.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking of Mad Max.. Toecutter’s great mate Night Rider.. is how I would envision a Sunday afternoon drive with you Southy ( @south of heaven ) would be like! Lol..