News RIP Tina Turner

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A Rugby League Immortal yet never played a game or laced on a boot..absolutely dynamite.. Vale Tina Turner..indeed Simply the Best..

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sad indeed :(
RIP ROCK GODDESS, you were an amazing entertainer, bloody sexy as to a young whipper-snapper nearly 40 years ago as well!

I also LOVED the song "What You Get Is What You See" think that featured in one campaign and was arguably up there with Simply The Best.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Her song "Simply the Best" was a song that resonates strongly with me (and I'm sure many others on here as well) as when I was growing up getting into Rugby League as a young lad, this song was the promo. It also represents what rugby league is to me, and not the sport that is being played today.

I also remember the song "Nutbush City Limits" was a song that we sung at our end of year school concert when I was in year 3. This was were I learned the Nutbush Dance. Amazingly enough, this dance is only popular here in Australia, and Tina Turner herself has never done it. It just sort of came out of nowhere and has been made famous here. That's why I think that song, despite about being in a city in the US, will always have a strong tie to this nation.

Then of course, there's "What's Love Got to Do with It" which most people know through Warren G and the video clip featuring Jackie Chan. However the original and the best version is that by Tina Turner.

Tina, you are and always will be Simply the Best.

R.I.P.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone remember for sure, I think Ken Arthurson may have secured her services? Whoever made that choice it was the best entertainment move our game has and will likely ever see.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone remember for sure, I think Ken Arthurson may have secured her services? Whoever made that choice it was the best entertainment move our game has and will likely ever see.
John Quayle. His assistant at the time was married to Daryl Braithwaite I think and had connections into the music biz and that’s how it came about.

Her passing comes less than a week after Tina: The Musical opened in Sydney, which I’m going to this weekend and mainly because of her connection to RL, but she also had an Aussie connection via Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. ‘What’s Love Got To Do With It’ a great song too. RIP the Queen of Rock n’ Roll.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This was great.. funny story.. Quayle, Athurson and co. were talking up to Turner, for the first promo, ‘What You Get is What You See’, saying how handsome, fit and muscular rugby league players were… They made the first part of this commercial, which was hidden in secrecy, in England. The two current Australian players that were available and playing in England, at the time were Gavin Miller and Cliffy Lyons. Who where majestic figures on the field, but no so ‘appealing’ off it. Let’s say when Turner first saw the two, believing they were the best available, she apparently said to someone, this is the best they got? :tearsofjoy:
Ps I meant to tag you in this..@Bulldog1966

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
John Quayle. His assistant at the time was married to Daryl Braithwaite I think and had connections into the music biz and that’s how it came about.

Her passing comes less than a week after Tina: The Musical opened in Sydney, which I’m going to this weekend and mainly because of her connection to RL, but she also had an Aussie connection via Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. ‘What’s Love Got To Do With It’ a great song too. RIP the Queen of Rock n’ Roll.
‘We Don’t Need Another Hero’ was the best thing that came out of Beyond Thunderdome.. :hearteyes:

IMG_5643.gif