RIP Neil Howsen (AKA "Wardy") ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hope that this is in order for me to post this here.

For anyone who attends NSW Cup and junior league games, some very sad news regarding the passing of a young man by the name of Neil Howsen .

Neil an avid Bulldogs fan had been in very poor health over the last few years and today after a long fight finally succumbed to the cancer which had led to him being bedridden for the last month and a half of his life.

I first met Neil many years ago at Belmore and our paths crossed on numerous occasions at both NSW Cup and Premiership games. I suppose you could say he was a close neighbour at ANZ sitting about half a dozen rows in front of me and my family at all home games. His absence this season was certainly noticeable.
Neil rarely missed a game in all the time I had known him and he would travel far and wide to see as many games of football featuring the Bulldogs as he could and in all grades.

He was a likeable fellow and keenly recorded stats and the like for all games. His greatest love in life was the Bulldogs, a fact that anyone who knew him would attest to. I shall miss his laugh and his smile and his love for the game. Such a sad time but I know that he will be certainly watching over his beloved Bulldogs hoping that they can bring home a Premiership in 2016.
The final picture of him was taken last week in his hospital bed, smiling and wishing the boys all the best and giving a huge thumbs up to the boys ahead of their game against the Titans. Guess they heard you champ.

Neil you will be missed.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So very sorry to read this. Breaks your heart to see someone taken so young.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cancer is a horrible disease. Condolences to his family and friends for their loss.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope that this is in order for me to post this here.

For anyone who attends NSW Cup and junior league games, some very sad news regarding the passing of a young man by the name of Neil Howsen .

Neil an avid Bulldogs fan had been in very poor health over the last few years and today after a long fight finally succumbed to the cancer which had led to him being bedridden for the last month and a half of his life.

I first met Neil many years ago at Belmore and our paths crossed on numerous occasions at both NSW Cup and Premiership games. I suppose you could say he was a close neighbour at ANZ sitting about half a dozen rows in front of me and my family at all home games. His absence this season was certainly noticeable.
Neil rarely missed a game in all the time I had known him and he would travel far and wide to see as many games of football featuring the Bulldogs as he could and in all grades.

He was a likeable fellow and keenly recorded stats and the like for all games. His greatest love in life was the Bulldogs, a fact that anyone who knew him would attest to. I shall miss his laugh and his smile and his love for the game. Such a sad time but I know that he will be certainly watching over his beloved Bulldogs hoping that they can bring home a Premiership in 2016.
The final picture of him was taken last week in his hospital bed, smiling and wishing the boys all the best and giving a huge thumbs up to the boys ahead of their game against the Titans. Guess they heard you champ.

Neil you will be missed.
Sorry to hear, so young ....RIP

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
It's with great sadness that I report the Bulldogs Army have lost one of our own ... I never knew his name before today, but I definitely recall his face at many-a-match.

If anyone could enlighten us further on his journey, I for one would certainly appreciate knowing more about the man.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEsJCUnMUZ_/

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's with great sadness that I report the Bulldogs Army have lost one of our own ... I never knew his name before today, but I definitely recall his face at many-a-match.

If anyone could enlighten us further on his journey, I for one would certainly appreciate knowing more about the man.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEsJCUnMUZ_/
Yes Captain I can say that I knew Neil fairly well. I had posted a thread in the lounge relating to his passing.http://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/neil-howsen.101708/

You are right he was a massive Dogs fan and a big cricket fan as well. He was relatively young and it was only revealed to us early last year that he was fighting against cancer. He rarely missed a game whether it be NSW Cup, Ron Massey Cup, Matts and Ball. A very cheeky lad who loved nothing better than giving it to the referees if he felt it warranted. Favourite saying " You are a bum!!" Loved his stats and you could depend on him being able to give you the penalty count, errors and all the scorers of a game. Knew all the NSW Cup boys and always positioned himself behind the bench to pass on his advice to all.

The photo below was taken last week before the Titans game where he wished the boys well and gave them the massive thumbs up. He will still be watching from above willing his beloved Dogs to bring home the Premiership in 2016. Fans come and go but Neil was ( is) a fan of the Dogs :Dogs for life would be his motto.

He never gave up on the team and he never gave up on life, fighting right until the end. Neil my friend we will miss you but we will never forget you.

https://www.facebook.com/Bulldogs4L...0381616480238/539057542945975/?type=3&theatre

Have a look at the comments and you will see he was well thought of.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Merged both threads..

Certainly recognise the face and remember seeing him at many a NSW Cup game and NRL game. Pretty sure I've talked a few times to him.

So sad :( ... I hope the players fire up for him over the weekend.

RIP Neil.... may you always look down on the Dogs from above with the best seats in the house...

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
So sad. RIP Neil :( You are in a better place now mate.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Sad to hear. Would always see him around, especially at the Canterbury Leagues club. Poor fella.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You're in a better place brother.

Rest in peace.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Neil being laid to rest this Thursday and a group of us are going to pay our final respects. We will all be wearing our Doggies jerseys in his honour.
Was terrific to see the boys wearing black armbands on Friday night and the NSW Cup boys on Sunday. Most of the boys knew him, particularly the NSW Cup players and the ones who came through our juniors and I believe a couple of them will be there at his funeral. I don't know what was said exactly (because I don't watch Nine.)but I have been told Channel Nine even gave him a mention at half time of the footy. Still can't believe he is gone.......

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
RIP Neil. I'm shocked. Had no idea he was sick.

Spoke to him here and there at Cup matches and at the club in the sports bar a couple of times over the years. Lovely guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.