RIP Malcolm Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The man who started the greatest real rock band of all time has died. Ride on Mal. Ride on...

AC/DC Legend Malcolm Young Has Died
RIP Mal Young
1 hr ago
Getty
STAY IN THE LOOP

Get the latest Triple M Brisbane news & competitions direct to your inbox.

Malcolm Young, legendary AC/DC icon, has passed away aged 64.

Young's family released a statement late on Saturday night announcing the sad news.

"It is with deepest sorrow we inform you of the death of Malcolm Young, beloved husband, father, grandfather and brother.

"Malcolm had been suffering from Dementia for several years and passed away peacefully on Saturday with his family by his bedside."

Young had retired from performing with AC/DC in 2014 due to his health.

He leaves behind a wife and two children. Plus a reputation and legacy as one of the most important and influential figures in rock music.

His rhythm guitar and pumping riffs were widely considered the driving force behind the global success of AC/DC, the band he formed and played in for 45 years. It is also often suggested that he was the true leader of the band, despite brother Angus' iconic frontman status.

Young's passing comes just four weeks after his brother George also died, aged 70.

The family's statement continued: "Renowned for his musical prowess, Malcolm was a songwriter, guitarist, performer, producer and visionary who inspired many.

"From the outset, he knew what he wanted to achieve and, along with his younger brother, took to the world stage giving their all at every show. Nothing less would do for their fans."

Well said.

Everyone at Triple M extends our sincerest condolences to the Young family and raises the devil's horns up in honour of Mal Young. A true, blue rock legend.
;

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sad news. Conddolences to his friends family and everyone who loves their music.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One of the greats. The disease progressed quickly. It's fortunate that he died peacefully in the end.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Running errands on a gloomy Brisbane day...

But Triple M are pretty much wall to wall Acca Dacca, so it's making me not caring about the traffic and rain :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Two of the greatest acdc songs ever
Highway to Hell was my favourite album :grinning:

Celebrity deaths affect people differently. We are used to somebody younger dying tragically in a car crash or drug overdose, and teenagers and people in their 20s being distraught.

Malcolm's death is like this, but for blokes in their 40s and 50s who loved rock and roll. One bloke called into MMM, and he lost it as he recounted how much the band was part of his life. This guy would have been i'd reckon, mid-late 40s, probably a bit on the bogan side, a mans man, and here he is, bubbling in tears to Ugly Phil on the radio.

I listened to them in high school, but my affection for the music probably started in uni. Saw them on the Ballbreaker Tour of 96 at the Ent Cent and was truly hooked. Funny, i;m now watching the Family Jewels DVD and Mrs CD is firing questions at me about the band.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Drugs are bad Mmkay
Surely there's a link with both having early onset dimentia
Probably. Technically it's caused by a lack of blood to the brain so it can be caused by stroke, smoking, drugs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.