RIP Ken Wilson

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ken Wilson passed away today after a 2 year battle with cancer.
He really was the soul of the Newtown Side before they got thrown out.
He was a bluebag through and through and a very nice fella.
A half in the times of Sterli, Tommy, Hastings and Morris...he wasn't the flashiest but would give 100% every game.
Very sad time for his family.

Last edited:

Crashdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Men wilson passed away today after a 2 year battle with cancer.
He really was the soul of the Newtown Side before they got thrown out.
He was a bluebag through and through and a very nice fella.
A half in the times of Sterli, Tommy, Hastings and Morris...he wasn't the flashiest but would give 100% every game.
Very sad time for his family.
Ken Wilson owns a piece of history that can never be equaled.
Ken kicked the field goal in the one and only FG RL game with a 1-0 final score. There was a period when field goals were worth one point.
Vale Ken Wilson.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Newtown great...RIP

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kenny Wilson played Golf at my local course at Barden Ridge. His regular partners on Wednesday Mornings, were Gary Hughes, former Bulldogs lower grade half Bernie Temple, and sometimes Mark Hughes or Channel 9 commentator Matt Thompson.

This is one of the beauties of sport that players who were rivals on the field are friends that stick together long after their sporting careers are over.

I was wondering why I hadn’t seen Kenny for a while.

Yes he was famous for kicking that field goal in the 1 nil win over Saints in 1973 at the SCG when brought on as a late replacement by the coach, who I think was Jack Gibson.

The nil all draw with the Bulldogs on a swamp at Henson Park in 1982, when he, Sigsworth, Turvey and Gary Hughes all had failed attempts to win the game, but this often resulted in the ball sticking in the mud, and the player missing the ball.

He passed far too young.

RIP Kenny.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny Wilson played Golf at my local course at Barden Ridge. His regular partners on Wednesday Mornings, were Gary Hughes, former Bulldogs lower grade half Bernie Temple, and sometimes Mark Hughes or Channel 9 commentator Matt Thompson.

This is one of the beauties of sport that players who were rivals on the field are friends that stick together long after their sporting careers are over.

I was wondering why I hadn’t seen Kenny for a while.

Yes he was famous for kicking that field goal in the 1 nil win over Saints in 1973 at the SCG when brought on as a late replacement by the coach, who I think was Jack Gibson.

The nil all draw with the Bulldogs on a swamp at Henson Park in 1982, when he, Sigsworth, Turvey and Gary Hughes all had failed attempts to win the game, but this often resulted in the ball sticking in the mud, and the player missing the ball.

He passed far too young.

RIP Kenny.
I was there for that game, played a junior semi final earlier in the day. Remember like it was yesterday not 40 years ago

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was there for that game, played a junior semi final earlier in the day. Remember like it was yesterday not 40 years ago
I reckon you would have been covered in mud mate. I watched the game from my car which was parked right on the fence. An extremely wet day.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon you would have been covered in mud mate. I watched the game from my car which was parked right on the fence. An extremely wet day.
It was, and in my opinion in the top 3 best suburban footy grounds to play at and watch footy at, belmore and leichardt the others.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rip. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family. May he have found peace.