Ricky Stuart Slams Wayne Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Bennett a guru? Not in our league, says Stuart
December 19, 2005

NEW Australian rugby league coach Ricky Stuart has finally responded to stinging comments Wayne Bennett made about his coaching, suggesting his predecessor's guru-like status in the sport was a myth.

The outgoing Australian coach last week rang a Brisbane radio station to respond to suggestions that Stuart would curb player drinking more effectively than Bennett had on the recent Tri-Nations tour.

"It comes to be expected," Stuart told Sydney radio station 2KY yesterday when asked about Bennett's comments. "You look at a lot of the points that he brought up and a lot of them were incorrect. He said we [NSW] had four people in security looking after the players [during the State of Origin series]. I had a couple of assistant managers looking after the players in regards to security, and they weren't security people.

"There were other comments he made that were incorrect but I just let it fly."

Stuart and his club, the Sydney Roosters, last week refused to comment on Bennett's outburst. "He's going through enough as it is, he didn't need me jumping onto a bandwagon and discrediting him," Stuart said yesterday.

"It's a matter of him, I think, being a little bit disappointed.

"For a man who doesn't talk to the media, he uses it very well when he has to or wants to."

Stuart suggested Bennett's stature in the game was less mystical than some had made it out to be.

"There's been a number of signs of weakness from Wayne over the years, and I don't really fall under the myth of his so-called guru-ism," he said.

The former NSW State of Origin mentor said he had asked Bennett's assistant with the Kangaroos, Melbourne's Craig Bellamy, to stay on but had yet to receive an answer.

In a Sunday newspaper column, Stuart put the Kangaroos players on notice, again questioning their passion for representing Australia.

"The Australian team is going to look very different," he wrote. "Either some players weren't up to the job in England, or others, based on what we saw in England, need to lift their game to stay in the side. From the outside looking in, all I can say is that Australia looked like an emotionless, disinterested side."

Meanwhile, Stuart said he had decided on retired captain Luke Ricketson's successor at the Roosters and an announcement would be made next week. English hardman Adrian Morley and second-rower Craig Fitzgibbon are contenders for the job.

AAP

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
lol how is that slamming bennett? He didnt come up with anything besides a call saying bennetts status was a myth which is just his opinion.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"There's been a number of signs of weakness from Wayne over the years, and I don't really fall under the myth of his so-called guru-ism," he said.
I really, really hope he fails as Kangeroos coach now....he annoys me soo much>:(

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
He probably was saying that about his job under the Australian team not his whole coaching career

I think his right as well with what his saying that bennett is giving signs of weakness in his coaching especially in the last few years with Brisbane not going as well as expected.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
Sticky cant take it teht someone acctually lashed out at him.. Someone fiinally does and this is the only way he can take.. Stuart has nothing on Wayne

F R 3 D 5 7 A

√ [ό] √
Reaction score
SOLIOLA said:
I think his right as well with what his saying that bennett is giving signs of weakness in his coaching especially in the last few years with Brisbane not going as well as expected.
Hes been there since 88. He has done well.

He has won every gf they have played in.

Unlike Roosters, who need 4 grand finals in 5 years to win one - one by default.

A

atomic_crimson

stuart is an idiot... we all know murray laid the foundations for him at the roosters one chance he had to prove himself without his superstar fittler he didnt do all that well... any one i think can coach the aussies..

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
F R 3 D 5 7 A said:
Hes been there since 88. He has done well.

He has won every gf they have played in.

Unlike Roosters, who need 4 grand finals in 5 years to win one - one by default.
I know he has done well in his career i did not say he hasn't i just mean when he controlled the Australian team.

Im just saying it's good for stuart someone young and bright and who successfully done well in his playing career to step up and take this role.

Did anyone know that Bennett and Sheens have worked together at the Raiders

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
in his time with the bronco's, i dont think he as missed a finals series?

maybe one since 88, and the bronco's have never lost a grand final

ricky has missed the finals despite having a team packed with rep stars, and has lost 2 out of 3 grand finals

i think ricky would be called a myth, but the only problem is, noone rates him

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Dont you think it's a bit strange he got voted the worst coach in the Nrl for 2005 but still got selected for the position as Australian Coach

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
SOLIOLA said:
Dont you think it's a bit strange he got voted the worst coach in the Nrl for 2005 but still got selected for the position as Australian Coach
i think hes a good coach, he makes sure his team is prepared for the game

but he has no right to talk about bennett as a myth

last time i counted it was

Bennett 5
Stuart 1

in terms of grand final wins

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Bennett 50 + Years old but still is a great coach but getting beyond his time for representative level.

Stuart 38 Years old has 3 Grand Finals under his belt and a Premiership and has taken the New South Wales Blues to an Origin series win.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
SOLIOLA said:
Bennett 50 + Years old but still is a great coach but getting beyond his time for representative level.

Stuart 38 Years old has 3 Grand Finals under his belt and a Premiership and has taken the New South Wales Blues to an Origin series win.
stuart still has to prove he can handle a team over a long period of time

see bennett has dealt with retired stars (langer,gee,tallis,walters,renouf,hancock,sailor,tequiri)

but he has still kept his team very competitive, not missing out on the finals series as i said before

lets see how ricky goes now that he has lost fitler, ricko and some of his big name forwards

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
I believe brisbane have struggled during the last 3 finals series due to there problem in the halves formation with Seymour in there.

The Roosters have this same problem as well with Brett Finch and thats why i want him removed from First Grade or be a Bench Warmer and bring in Jamie Soward as he has the same abilities as Andrew Johns and has the speed,skills,kicking,passing etc.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
no they were there

i know he hasnt missed out since at least 91

he just scrapped into the finals in 2003 i think, but that still counts:p

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Oh ok my mistake

Then you were correct they have been there everytime since 88 under Bennett

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
but to be fair to ricky, he didnt say anything that disrespectful about wayne

i just feel that he has a fair way to go before i class him in the same league as bennett

tim sheens would probably be the only current coach i would put in his class

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
so bennett is a myth hey?

bennett sure knows how to bring out the best from his players...

Status
Not open for further replies.