Richard Carleton dies at mine site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Veteran Nine Network reporter Richard Carleton has died after suffering a suspected heart attack at Tasmania's Beaconsfield Gold Mine, Tasmanian police say.

"He has died," Tasmanian police constable Phil Pike told AAP.

Nine presenter Mike Munro confirmed the death during a televised news update.

"He was given treatment on the spot and taken to hospital," a visibly shaken Munro said.

"He was taken to hospital, as you can see, where doctors have only just pronounced him dead.

"Our friend and colleague, Richard Carleton, from 60 Minutes, dead."

Tasmanian government adviser Shaun Rigby said he saw Carleton collapse soon after asking a question at a press conference about the mine rescue.

"I saw him, and I said 'he's down' and we rushed over there pretty much straight away," Mr Rigby told reporters.

He said a radio journalist began CPR while Mr Rigby called an ambulance and sent someone to the mine site to get medical experts working with the trapped miners.

Among them was Dr Andrew Hughes, the director the Tasmanian Medical Retrieval Service, who has been working closely with the trapped miners.

Dr Hughes was the main doctor who worked on Carleton before was taken away in an ambulance, Mr Rigby said.

He said people had been traumatised by the veteran reporter's death.

"There's people in tears, there's people in shock. It's been horrible - it's just horrible," Mr Rigby said.

He said he had tried to offer Carleton some dignity as he lay on the ground.

"I basically told people to clear the area, get some blankets. Everyone deserves a bit of dignity especially when lying on your back in that situation with 30 cameras (around)," Mr Rigby said.

"People from Nine, Seven, all kinds of people from all kinds of networks helped out.

"And we took them in there (to the mine's media centre) sat them down and had a coffee."

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats awfull. He was a good reporter. RIP

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
The Logies will be interesting tonight...I wonder what sorts of tributes will be made to Richard?

BisH

Ohh No0o0
Reaction score
does any1 have a pik i cant remember whih one he is.

BisH

Ohh No0o0
Reaction score
ohhh jeese i know...man that was unexpected r.i.p

RMGs

[RkO]
Reaction score
shocking news...condolensces go out to him and his family

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really liked watching his reports on 60 Minutes. He was always very direct and not affraid to ask the tough questions. May he R.I.P.

A

Abz

To think that on Easter Sunday night, I was watching his story on 60 minutes about the Nuclear Reactor with my cousins etc... and thinking of how good he did his job, and now to find out he's passed away is truly a shock.

I wish to pass on my condelences to Mr Carleton and his family, friends and colleagues.

On behalf of everyone from The Kennel, may he rest in peace, and we are thinking of you through this difficult time.

BisH

Ohh No0o0
Reaction score
^^^wonderful speech my boy *clapps*...but it still is a jaw dropper of a shock this came out of no where...

A

Abz

Thank you Mary,
I'm finding it very hard to accept still. He was quite young, 62 is a young age to die :(

BisH

Ohh No0o0
Reaction score
its a young age for anyone to die but it happens...the only shocking thing is t came outta no where.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
B.O.R.T said:
its a young age for anyone to die but it happens...the only shocking thing is t came outta no where.
he did have plenty of health problems, so it didnt come out of nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.