News Riccio declares Bulldogs the biggest disappointment in opening round

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio has crticised the Bulldogs’ opening round performance against the Manly Sea Eagles on Saturday and likened their efforts to a “schoolboy” team.

The Bulldogs entered the 2023 season with an incredible amount of promise and hype but suffered the worst defeat of Round 1, losing 31-6 to Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Riccio was incredibly scathing of the Bulldogs’ execution and said that for all the talent in the team, the Bulldogs were the biggest disappointment across the opening weekend.

“There was a lot of excitement and hype around the transformation of the Bulldogs,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“It certainly was a reality check. They were woeful in the most schoolboy of errors.

“It was almost a case of stage fright; kicks out on the full, Viliame Kikau kicking on the fifth tackle, they looked short of a run and I felt like that was their trial match.

“They were blowing their cobwebs out and everything was off kilter.

“I’d like to have another look at them because it was out of character for so many individuals.

“I have to assess after this weekend.”

SEN’s Greg Alexander was shocked with the poor showing from Bulldogs five-eighth Matt Burton who made a number of errors including gifting a woeful intercept to Daly Cherry-Evans for his third try of the afternoon.

Alexander said that Burton’s performance was reflective of the Bulldogs’ team as a whole.

“If Cherry-Evans was a nine out of ten, Matt Burton gets a two out of ten,” Alexander said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“Matt was floundering.

“Why did Viliame get the ball? Why did Viliame have the ball on play five? That’s the bigger question.”

The Bulldogs face another tough challenge in Round 2 when they take on the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park on March 11.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes we were. Tiger and Knight after us. I guess Rooster losing to Dolphin as well but I know they'll come good so...

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters actually.

But id take riccios opinion cos we were that bad

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s completely right. Rare W for a journo

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a complete shambles. But, from the shambolic trial against the Sharks, and pretty much everything that transpired since, the opening game always looked liked being a complete debacle. That wasn't too hard to foresee.

But, in the overall context of what has been done prior, and the hope that it generated, it's hard to argue with the level of disappointment.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's not wrong.

I'm just glad David decided to come home and shave his head. He was startling to look like hunchback with his hairline almost touching the back of his neck.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters were more of a surprise but we are up there....

I wonder what buzz will make of all this

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Riccio is not only a wanker but also a Roosters supporter, no surprise for him or other media to focus on a new revamped unrecognisable Canterbury depleted side with a whole list of debutants which nobody expected us to beat this year's pre-season challenge cup winners with the return of DCE and TOMMY T but we are an easy target in taking the gloss of what most fans were shocked after the opening round of football.

Wooden spoon favourites Dolphins shock win over this years fan + media predicted premiers favourites, the Sydney Roosters, but that would upset Nick!

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
We were fucking abysmal, but pound for pound, Tigers losing was worse than, the fucks played at home, in nice cool weather and against the Tits ffs.