Rhyse Martin - 24 minutes of crap

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Goal kicking is a mechanical process, sure there is bit of confidence involved, but that comes from kicking hundreds of goals at training each week, then watching the videos of every kick from every angle and refining the technique under the tutelage of the master. The % drops when you don't put in the work. The same as any other part of the game, drop the discipline and the quality drops with it.

Go Dogs
Why do you need confidence if its mechanical? If its mechanical than anyone can do it strictly following the methods you posted. Did Hazem review all the 100's of practice kicks he did every week from every angle with a "master" goal kicker?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Martin is one of the best all round players we have along with CHN. They know their worth and playing under Pay has them playing like garbage.. ITS ALL PAY.
Like you know???.Martin has been unfit since the start of the year. When does fitness to last more than 10 minutes on the field fall squarely on the shoulders of the player?No...lets blame the coach. Hasler couldnt get Kasiano fit either. Was that Haslers fault? Wake up...its a combination f issues affecting the playing group...involving issues amongst players and coaches and tactics.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why do you need confidence if its mechanical? If its mechanical than anyone can do it strictly following the methods you posted. Did Hazem review all the 100's of practice kicks he did every week from every angle with a "master" goal kicker?
TT is a know all:know nothing who wouldn't be persuaded by reasonable facts or figures-let alone common sense.

It's preferable to just ignore him and let his statements stand alone and let the foolishness be highlighted for all to see.

Confidence not a big factor in sport? BS!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love how all the kennnel coaches say martin isn’t training much and is unfit ,based on what? How would you know,yes hes not playing well but no evidence that he’s unfit etc i reckon pay has fucked his mojo like the whole team ,chopping and changing goood players wouldn’t help a player,he was brilliant late last year but pays coaching is fucking everyone

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like you know???.Martin has been unfit since the start of the year. When does fitness to last more than 10 minutes on the field fall squarely on the shoulders of the player?No...lets blame the coach. Hasler couldnt get Kasiano fit either. Was that Haslers fault? Wake up...its a combination f issues affecting the playing group...involving issues amongst players and coaches and tactics.
I love people like you. You make me smile.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's exactly what I posted in response to a defence of Martin based on "confidence" being down because he was dropped (which he deserved).

El Masri used to spend hours after everyone had left training practising his kicking, right up until he retired. Early on he would spend equal hours with Halligan perfecting the mechanics and fine tuning his process until it became automatic. Then he kept on practising every session to make sure it stayed automatic (muscle memory). Apparently Martin thought he already knew everything and didn't need to practice to the same level anymore, the result is obvious, a dramatic drop off in his goal kicking accuracy.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
TT is a know all:know nothing who wouldn't be persuaded by reasonable facts or figures-let alone common sense.
You actually need to read what I post, not what you think I posted.

Feel free to post up some "facts or figures" to persuade me?

Around here "common sense" isn't all that common.

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I love how all the kennnel coaches say martin isn’t training much and is unfit ,based on what? How would you know,yes hes not playing well but no evidence that he’s unfit etc i reckon pay has fucked his mojo like the whole team ,chopping and changing goood players wouldn’t help a player,he was brilliant late last year but pays coaching is fucking everyone
mate he couldn't get off the ground after making tackles on Sunday!! What does that tell you?
plus if we weren't already down by 30 points he would have been penalised for not clearing the ruck, and that's the other issue with him, he is a penalty machine because his lack of fitness doesn't allow him to keep up with the speed of NRL games.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You actually need to read what I post, not what you think I posted.

Feel free to post up some "facts or figures" to persuade me?

Around here "common sense" isn't all that common.

Go Dogs
You should read what I posted.

Fact = it's a waste of time trying to debate you. You are intractable with your illogical argumentative opinions. No facts or figures would persuade you...you can't even use your eyes and ears and that's very "common" to you.

"That's exactly what I posted in response to a defence of Martin based on "confidence" being down because he was dropped (which he deserved)".

No..I said confidence is an integral part of sporting performance. I did not mention a sulking Martin being dropped and and his performance dropping off because of it.

What I did intimate was his, and others, performances being affected by lack of confidence due to the instability of Pay's selections and the players not therefore knowing their roles in the team with all those changes.

Martin finished last season as our most valuable player (+ kicker) in great form. From the very first trial game, he was dropped and treated unfairly based on his superior efforts compared to other 2ndrowers in the team. That form was trashed by Dean Pay who played favourites.

The discipline and fitness you and others mention may well be true but there again that is all rumour, gossip and innuendo as well. If it is true, the whole team has this malaise.

It's Pays job to manage these issues otherwise a team is a leaderless rabble who can't concentrate cohesively on the task at hand...we see this on the field with our team and no singling out of any one player as this thread does can cover up the coaching weaknesses.

We need to be asking why several players' form has dropped off.

We can judge on how well, or not, and how fit, or not, Martin is when he plays for PNG on Saturday.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fact = it's a waste of time trying to debate you. You are intractable with your illogical argumentative opinions. No facts or figures would persuade you...you can't even use your eyes and ears and that's very "common" to you.
Let me get this right, you refuse to post any facts or figures to support your argument because you think I won't be persuaded by them, exactly what evidence do you have to substantiate that claim? I don't recall any occasion where you have posted relevant facts that might go close to persuading anyone, let alone me.

I'm always up for a reasoned debate based on data, but wild unsubstantiated statements leave me cold.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Let me get this right, you refuse to post any facts or figures to support your argument because you think I won't be persuaded by them, exactly what evidence do you have to substantiate that claim? I don't recall any occasion where you have posted relevant facts that might go close to persuading anyone, let alone me.

I'm always up for a reasoned debate based on data, but wild unsubstantiated statements leave me cold.

Go Dogs
"I'm always up for a reasoned debate based on data, but wild unsubstantiated statements leave me cold".

No that's not the opinion of the vast majority of posters on here. You come in over the top of all other posters berating them cos it's not your opinion and continue on adnauseum labouring your point.

Again I need to correct you on your assumption on "facts and figures"....my point was it wouldn't matter IF you were presented with facts or figures, you wouldn't change your closed mind. I am sure you would argue a beer bottle was blue if it meant you could see your avatar constantly dominating on here.

We can only judge on results atm. A fail atm. That's your data you want presented to you.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to be asking why several players' form has dropped off.
We also need to be aware that many players form has demonstrably improved. You didn't give any examples to substantiate your claim, but I have previously and will continue to;
Meaney, used to be very suspect under kicks, has dropped one this year and that really wasn't his fault. In all of his game is now virtually error free, something that many Newcastle supports thought impossible.
Cogger, big improvement on his playing since he arrived, many at Newcastle were happy to see him leave.
Foran, playing better than he has for the last 3 years due to the amazing fitness and recovery work of the whole staff, working under the head coach.
JMK, learning the hooker's trade and improving every game, still only 23, people forget that Cook didn't really stand out as hooker until his mid 20's.
Ogden, played his first ever NRL game under Pay and has improved to the point where he's demanding his spot every game. He is also only 23 which is young for a prop developing.
RFM, played his first ever NRL game under Pay and has improved to the point where he's in the mix for a spot every game.
To'Omaga, played his first ever NRL game under Pay and has improved to the point where he is knocking on the door for a regular NRL spot. He is also only 23.
Sue, I actually was very sceptical of his signing, thought he was barely CC quality, but he has stepped up a level and for his size now hits hard (a Pay trait that I seem to remember from his playing days).
Montoya, he's an enigma, was good in 2017, injured, then horrible in 2018 and thought he was goner, but FMD he's been way better than I thought possible this year. Still not brilliant or consistent of course.
Okunbor, Harper and Kotoa all not yet at consistent NRL standard, but way better players than they were when Pay and the coaching staff started coaching them.

I'm not suggesting that anyone of them is a world beater but that I have seen improvement in them, all since Pay took over as coach.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No that's not the opinion of the vast majority of posters on here. You come in over the top of all other posters berating them cos it's not your opinion and continue on adnauseum labouring your point.
I think you are confusing my respectfully disagreeing with posts (many times with data) and "berating" - meaning rebuke, reprimand, reproach, reprove, admonish, chastise, chide, upbraid, castigate, lambaste.

Please feel free to quote any post where I have done any of the above.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
RFM, played his first ever NRL game under Pay and has improved to the point where he's in the mix for a spot every game.
RFM played his first game at the Warriors and came to the club when Des was still here.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also need to be aware that many players form has demonstrably improved. You didn't give any examples to substantiate your claim, but I have previously and will continue to;
Meaney, used to be very suspect under kicks, has dropped one this year and that really wasn't his fault. In all of his game is now virtually error free, something that many Newcastle supports thought impossible.
Cogger, big improvement on his playing since he arrived, many at Newcastle were happy to see him leave.
Foran, playing better than he has for the last 3 years due to the amazing fitness and recovery work of the whole staff, working under the head coach.
JMK, learning the hooker's trade and improving every game, still only 23, people forget that Cook didn't really stand out as hooker until his mid 20's.
Ogden, played his first ever NRL game under Pay and has improved to the point where he's demanding his spot every game. He is also only 23 which is young for a prop developing.
To'Omaga, played his first ever NRL game under Pay and has improved to the point where he is knocking on the door for a regular NRL spot. He is also only 23.
Sue, I actually was very sceptical of his signing, thought he was barely CC quality, but he has stepped up a level and for his size now hits hard (a Pay trait that I seem to remember from his playing days).
Montoya, he's an enigma, was good in 2017, injured, then horrible in 2018 and thought he was goner, but FMD he's been way better than I thought possible this year. Still not brilliant or consistent of course.
Okunbor, Harper and Kotoa all not yet at consistent NRL standard, but way better players than they were when Pay and the coaching staff started coaching them.

I'm not suggesting that anyone of them is a world beater but that I have seen improvement in them, all since Pay took over as coach.

Go Dogs
Actually, Meaney leaving the Knights was not popular with their fans, he was seen as the next FB when Ponga succeeded at 5/8. Brownie has since stated they have an absolute young gun FB coming through the ranks. Of course Meaney has improved from his first few NRL games at Newcastle...most rookies do. However his attack has not improved...has #payout told him to concentrate on his defence?

Agreed on Cogger, Knights fans laughed when the Dogs bought him...there not laughing so much now. They weren't very fair on him, considering he was a rookie.

As a team however the dogs have not improved. Their ball handling and defence is worse. Their attack is as abysmal as ever.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin seems to be a bit stagnant this year in his progress as a first grade player along with a few others.
Without the knowledge of his fitness levels which the coaching staff will not make public or weather Martins mind set is not settled for whatever reason the speculation will continue.
I personally think he has shown glimpses of skill and has footy smarts.
As mentioned in previous post judgment withheld on all players until a coach comes along with real structures and teaching techniques.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Martin seems to be a bit stagnant this year in his progress as a first grade player along with a few others.
Without the knowledge of his fitness levels which the coaching staff will not make public or weather Martins mind set is not settled for whatever reason the speculation will continue.
I personally think he has shown glimpses of skill and has footy smarts.
As mentioned in previous post judgment withheld on all players until a coach comes along with real structures and teaching techniques.
We have arguably one of the most dangerous edge runners in CHN and we can't make good use of him, what chance does anyone else in the squad have of making an improvement with that happening lol.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have arguably one of the most dangerous edge runners in CHN and we can't make good use of him, what chance does anyone else in the squad have of making an improvement with that happening lol.
It’s a big disappointment to see these players like you have mentioned in CHN and others not playing to their strengths
This squarely falls on one person
The team should not be coming last in my opinion,waisted opportunities.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s a big disappointment to see these players like you have mentioned in CHN and others not playing to their strengths
This squarely falls on one person
The team should not be coming last in my opinion,waisted opportunities.
Yh when you have a limited squad then you focus on drilling in the basics and then getting the players to play to their strengths. Pay has just flat out failed as a coach and we basically look like an opens side that never trains and just rocks up drunk on game day