Opinion RFM This Year

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Pay got his Napa and CHN, if he doesn't make the 8 then see you later.
I get the feeling Pay may not rate Martin that highly. I have no inside info only what’s been out on social media by people who could be talking crap but they say that Martin isn’t the best trainer.
I could see Pay move Martin to lock and play Jackson and CHN on the edges. RFM is coming off a serious knee injury so there’s no harm if he returns to full fitness from the bench. I think RFM’s best attributes could make him a decent middle lock. He runs hard, good fend and has a decent offload in him.

I also think Fualalo definitely plays. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fualalo starts and Napa ends up being a bench forward. Maybe not right away and Pay might do what he did with Klemmer in a few games by naming Napa in the starting side on Tuesday but putting him on the bench on game day.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I get the feeling Pay may not rate Martin that highly. I have no inside info only what’s been out on social media by people who could be talking crap but they say that Martin isn’t the best trainer.
I could see Pay move Martin to lock and play Jackson and CHN on the edges. RFM is coming off a serious knee injury so there’s no harm if he returns to full fitness from the bench. I think RFM’s best attributes could make him a decent middle lock. He runs hard, good fend and has a decent offload in him.

I also think Fualalo definitely plays. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fualalo starts and Napa ends up being a bench forward. Maybe not right away and Pay might do what he did with Klemmer in a few games by naming Napa in the starting side on Tuesday but putting him on the bench on game day.
Yh I'm certain Pay doesn't rate Martin, doesn't fit his ideal mould. But yh, RFM can defenitely play in the middle and be effective there.

My issue is starting with a pack of Elliott at lock, Jackson on the edge with the likes of Tolman Napa/Fualao at prop...it just doesn't look at all effective enough to get us into games and lacks any sort of punch. Just looks like the least dynamic pack possible and is a little underwhelming.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's probably the best I have seen. But Jackson will be in the 11. Unless you go

11. Jackson
12. CHN
13. RFM/Elliot

14. Elliot/RFM
15. Fualalo
16. Sue
17. Martin
We cant have another yr of marshmallow middle... Jackson is by far the best lock at the club and should play there considering we have a 2 right edge backrowers who could fill the void.

Picture this... CHN runs some the best lines in the comp and Foran throws one of the best short balls in the game... Its a good bet.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hey who that has been to any of the open training sessions can comment on RFM, and apparent bulking up. Someone has posted on twitter that they have heard rumours he is moving into the Front row rotation?

I guess that could answer CHN been brought in?

Though find it hard to understand, early last year he was really our only attacking option out wide. Though Unfortunately he was unavailable when we started to get our act together.
wouldnt mind him in the front row (off the bench) so long as it doesnt affect Renoufs spot in the 17.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yh I'm certain Pay doesn't rate Martin, doesn't fit his ideal mould. But yh, RFM can defenitely play in the middle and be effective there.

My issue is starting with a pack of Elliott at lock, Jackson on the edge with the likes of Tolman Napa/Fualao at prop...it just doesn't look at all effective enough to get us into games and lacks any sort of punch. Just looks like the least dynamic pack possible and is a little underwhelming.
i forget we have Fualalo until he is mentioned. Hit his ceiling, dont have him in my 17, will get more out of Sue and To'Omaga

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One guy who doesnt get a lot of mentions, but I believe offers a lot more than some of them is Ogden.
I would start Ogden before Martin (bench). Theres no loss of goal kicking as Holland can do it very well.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I’m not convinced on this rumour that Pay doesn’t like Martin. Martin will be there round 1. almost impossible to drop. Blokes on an upward trend. played well in first grade, captained isp championships, made the Qld emerging squad. Never looked fitter and more confident.
RFM is coming back from injury and could start the season on the bench and need to prove himself all over again. Fingers crossed he can finally fulfill his potential

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i forget we have Fualalo until he is mentioned. Hit his ceiling, dont have him in my 17, will get more out of Sue and To'Omaga
I'll wait to see how he goes with the weight loss... Lost an easy 10kg so this might be interesting.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One guy who doesnt get a lot of mentions, but I believe offers a lot more than some of them is Ogden.
I would start Ogden before Martin (bench). Theres no loss of goal kicking as Holland can do it very well.
Ogden is still yr off, we have him locked in so no need to rush him in.

Martin is a different footballer, footballer not just run hard son.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i forget we have Fualalo until he is mentioned. Hit his ceiling, don't have him in my 17, will get more out of Sue and To'Omaga
and Chris Smith too, although he's a different sort of player. Ogden's a better player as well.

Fualalo for ISP and extended interchange unless we get a few injuries. Don't mind if I have to eat my words, cause he is looking fitter than ever, but he really has to lift to be considered in the 17.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'll wait to see how he goes with the weight loss... Lost an easy 10kg so this might be interesting.
Yeah I guess, I'm happy to be proven wrong. But people (myself included) rag on Lichaa etc, when guys like Fualalo have just coasted along to. Time will tell.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not convinced on this rumour that Pay doesn’t like Martin. Martin will be there round 1. almost impossible to drop. Blokes on an upward trend. played well in first grade, captained isp championships, made the Qld emerging squad. Never looked fitter and more confident.
RFM is coming back from injury and could start the season on the bench and need to prove himself all over again. Fingers crossed he can finally fulfill his potential
I can see Martin going to Manly on a heavily back ended deal in classic Des style. Martin should start but it worries me that he only signed a 1 year deal when I’m sure our mai. new recruits are all on 3+ year deals

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I can see Martin going to Manly on a heavily back ended deal in classic Des style. Martin should start but it worries me that he only signed a 1 year deal when I’m sure our mai. new recruits are all on 3+ year deals
I see it as being all about the timing, for him as well as us. He may well have wanted another year to prove he is worth more, so he can up his price. We may well have wanted another year for him to prove that he is worth his already asking price. Plus another year works in salary cap maniplulation, there’s a guaranteed $2m to $3m in space next year, so room to move and recruit judiciously. I like the 1 Year deal in this case, whereas 3 would be more appropriate in many others.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just hope he takes Hoppa with him.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol at some of the options people are posting for our backrow and bench. The following is by far our best option.

8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. RFM left edge outside lewis
12. CHN right edge outside foran
13. Jackson

14. ? C.smith maybe or an outside back
15. Sue
16. Elliott
17. Danny. F

Reverses martin ogden renouf.

Edge backrowers and lichaa to play 80 most weeks. Elliott maybe to come back on occasionally to replace either chn or rfm late in a game once in a while. Jackson to play over 60 mins each week. Starting props 40-45 mins each week. Danny.f and sue 35-40 min each week. Elliott to replace Jackson for 20 then can come back on later to play on the egde for either rfm or chn depending on who is more tried. Thats 7 interchanges, leaves as 1 for emergencies.

If Pay sticks to this formula and with smith and okunbor doing our hitups on tackle 1 and 2 it will keep our forward pack fresh for the entire 80. Therefore our intensity levels, line speed, kick chase etc will be high for the 80.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lol at some of the options people are posting for our backrow and bench. The following is by far our best option.

8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. RFM left edge outside lewis
12. CHN right edge outside foran
13. Jackson

14. ? C.smith maybe or an outside back
15. Sue
16. Elliott
17. Danny. F

Reverses martin ogden renouf.

Edge backrowers and lichaa to play 80 most weeks. Elliott maybe to come back on occasionally to replace either chn or rfm late in a game once in a while. Jackson to play over 60 mins each week. Starting props 40-45 mins each week. Danny.f and sue 35-40 min each week. Elliott to replace Jackson for 20 then can come back on later to play on the egde for either rfm or chn depending on who is more tried. Thats 7 interchanges, leaves as 1 for emergencies.

If Pay sticks to this formula and with smith and okunbor doing our hitups on tackle 1 and 2 it will keep our forward pack fresh for the entire 80. Therefore our intensity levels, line speed, kick chase etc will be high for the 80.
Yeah dunno about that bench

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bad Trainer? Dont know about that, Have you not seen what he looked like 2 yrs ago? His obviously not in the Kasiano mould.

Would be as surprised as any if he doesn't consolidate himself on the left edge.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Trainer? Dont know about that, Have you not seen what he looked like 2 yrs ago? His obviously not in the Kasiano mould.

Would be as surprised as any if he doesn't consolidate himself on the left edge.
Being a bad trainer doesn’t necessarily mean you are overweight but how you apply yourself at training. Physique isn’t the only factor. Anyway it might just be nonsense and Martin kicks on to be an Origin player this year.