Opinion RFM full-time prop?

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
RFM was dropped for no good reason earlier in the year. He missed 8 tackles in the first game v Warriors where he played 80 minutes in his first game back from serious injury and everyone had a crap game. In the second game v Eels he had a decent game and missed NO tackles but did provide an intercept. He was dumped and subsequently got injured in CC. But he was very harshly done but. It was a dud decision. The guy needed more games to prove himself but unlike Montoya he wasn't given that opportunity. Back in CC he was an absolute weapon - plenty of yards and offloading at will. When he did come back into first grade he was slowly building. He scored 2 trys in 2 games and his tackle efficiency was around 97% but Pay dropped him again. On channel 9 the commentators were surprised and quizzed Pay about it who said he needed to work on his consistency. It made no sense. Next thing there is talk about him being offloaded to Saints. Apparently RFM said no to the move and is still with us but I wonder if Pay is looking to move him on. I bloody well hope not because if he is given decent game time he will be back to his best and offer plenty. I chatted with him at a fan function in Goulburn for about an hour because no one else turned up. He's a lovely, decent fella who loves the club and wants to stay. I hope to hell Pay gives him a chance to shine. Elliott seems to get plenty of opportunities but 16m for RFM last week was ridiculous given the huge impact he had on the game (90m, 4 tackle breaks etc. etc.) RFM has never been "out of form" or "inconsistent" - he just hasn't been given enough regular game time to build since 2 serious injuries. I hope the short stint last weekend isn't a sign that he is on the outer. He may not be the "next Sonny Bill" as many touted when he first came to the club, but he's a damned good footballer who offers plenty of variety in attack and the second phase we desperately need more of. He's also very popular among the players and a big of a cult figure for a lot of fans. My fear is that Pay prefers more conservative footballers such as Tolman who will be boringly predictable each week.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
RFM was dropped for no good reason earlier in the year. He missed 8 tackles in the first game v Warriors where he played 80 minutes in his first game back from serious injury and everyone had a crap game. In the second game v Eels he had a decent game and missed NO tackles but did provide an intercept. He was dumped and subsequently got injured in CC. But he was very harshly done but. It was a dud decision. The guy needed more games to prove himself but unlike Montoya he wasn't given that opportunity. Back in CC he was an absolute weapon - plenty of yards and offloading at will. When he did come back into first grade he was slowly building. He scored 2 trys in 2 games and his tackle efficiency was around 97% but Pay dropped him again. On channel 9 the commentators were surprised and quizzed Pay about it who said he needed to work on his consistency. It made no sense. Next thing there is talk about him being offloaded to Saints. Apparently RFM said no to the move and is still with us but I wonder if Pay is looking to move him on. I bloody well hope not because if he is given decent game time he will be back to his best and offer plenty. I chatted with him at a fan function in Goulburn for about an hour because no one else turned up. He's a lovely, decent fella who loves the club and wants to stay. I hope to hell Pay gives him a chance to shine. Elliott seems to get plenty of opportunities but 16m for RFM last week was ridiculous given the huge impact he had on the game (90m, 4 tackle breaks etc. etc.) RFM has never been "out of form" or "inconsistent" - he just hasn't been given enough regular game time to build since 2 serious injuries. I hope the short stint last weekend isn't a sign that he is on the outer. He may not be the "next Sonny Bill" as many touted when he first came to the club, but he's a damned good footballer who offers plenty of variety in attack and the second phase we desperately need more of. He's also very popular among the players and a big of a cult figure for a lot of fans. My fear is that Pay prefers more conservative footballers such as Tolman who will be boringly predictable each week.
I really rate RFM but yes he has been inconsistent and was pretty poor in defence and turned into an arm grabber. Tolman is a totally different player and yes he is boring but he does a lot of the hard work players like RFM tend to go shy on at times.

If you had a forward pack of RFM’s you’d lose by a score of 100-50 every week

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Damn we would of been in last place if Pay listened to you, RFM is a liability on the edge.
What are you talking about? we have been contenders for the wooden spoon for almost the whole year! It’s only that Georgalas has been put in charge of the defence for the last few months that we have won 5 of the last 7 games. You always seem to stick up for Pay, hmmm I am starting to think that maybe you are Deano or a relative of his?

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I really rate RFM but yes he has been inconsistent and was pretty poor in defence and turned into an arm grabber. Tolman is a totally different player and yes he is boring but he does a lot of the hard work players like RFM tend to go shy on at times.

If you had a forward pack of RFM’s you’d lose by a score of 100-50 every week
Both players have a tackle efficiency of 93%. Apart from the first game of the year which was RFM's first game back from extended injury and one in which he played 80 minutes, his tackle efficiency has been over 90%. Hardly an arm grabber. He missed 7 tackles in that game (52 made), 0 versus the Eels in 58 minutes (27 made), 1 v Raiders in 51 minutes (24 made), 1 versus St. George in 65 minutes (29 made), 1 versus Roosters in 80 minutes (36 made), 1 versus Tigers in 19 minutes (15 made) and 0 versus the Rabbits (9 made). Absolute tripe to suggest we'd lose by loads with a forward pack of RFMS. Just under 200 tackles made for 11 misses. His tackle effectiveness is exactly the same as Tolman's. In 2018 RFM's tackle efficiency was 93.8%. Elliott is 10% worse. CHN even worse.

Last edited:

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both players have a tackle efficiency of 93%. Apart from the first game of the year which was RFM's first game back from extended injury and one in which he played 80 minutes, his tackle efficiency has been over 90%. Hardly an arm grabber. He missed 7 tackles in that game (52 made), 0 versus the Eels in 58 minutes (27 made), 1 v Raiders in 51 minutes (24 made), 1 versus St. George in 65 minutes (29 made), 1 versus Roosters in 80 minutes (36 made), 1 versus Tigers in 19 minutes (15 made) and 0 versus the Rabbits (9 made). Absolute tripe to suggest we'd lose by loads with a forward pack of RFMS. Just under 200 tackles made for 11 misses. His tackle effectiveness is exactly the same as Tolman's. In 2018 RFM's tackle efficiency was 93.8%. Elliott is 10% worse. CHN even worse.
Wow! I always liked RFM but these stats are damning!

Nice work, hoping more people get behind him unlike numbnut Pay

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Damn we would of been in last place if Pay listened to you, RFM is a liability on the edge.
Liability on the edge? Please explain? Check out his stats - defence is far better than Jackson and the rest of the forward pack bar Tolman. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You’re obviously a big fan which is great but stats don’t tell you everything. I like RFM but how about not cherry picking stats and compare the amount of tackles made and errors with Tolman. People that bag pay religiously must be at every training session and video session because they seem to know everything

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Rfm was sensational up the middle last week if anyone couldn’t see that get some glasses
Agreed mate he was brilliant. Now we need to see consistency

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wow! I always liked RFM but these stats are damning!

Nice work, hoping more people get behind him unlike numbnut Pay
We are desperate for a tackle breaking, offloading middle. RFM is our guy if he keeps his form going.

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You’re obviously a big fan which is great but stats don’t tell you everything. I like RFM but how about not cherry picking stats and compare the amount of tackles made and errors with Tolman. People that bag pay religiously must be at every training session and video session because they seem to know everything
It's not about cherry picking stats. It's presenting facts. RFM has made 3 errors all year. I've already stated the missed tackles. Tolman makes less errors because he rarely tries to offload or provide second phase play but his defence is no better. Tolman does however give away far more penalties than any other forward in our pack - 13. He also regularly kills momentum by going for settlers in the opposition 20, and often late in the tackle count. RFM offers some variety in a side that barely posts 12 points a game.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's not about cherry picking stats. It's presenting facts. RFM has made 3 errors all year. I've already stated the missed tackles. Tolman makes less errors because he rarely tries to offload or provide second phase play but his defence is no better. Tolman does however give away far more penalties than any other forward in our pack - 13. He also regularly kills momentum by going for settlers in the opposition 20, and often late in the tackle count. RFM offers some variety in a side that barely posts 12 points a game.
I don’t have time (or the desire) to look up stats but out of curiosity how many tackles do Tolman & RFM average per game or per minute if you prefer

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t have time (or the desire) to look up stats but out of curiosity how many tackles do Tolman & RFM average per game or per minute if you prefer
Per minute Tolman averages 0.59 tackles, RFM 0.52. Napa, Elliott, Jackson, CHN are all below 50. Napa the worst. Either way, RFM is pulling his weight.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it any better If I tryed I'm hoping the club keeps him around next year

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Agreed mate he was brilliant. Now we need to see consistency
Surely it is unfair to hold RFM to different standards than Pay's pets.

Elliot gets huge minutes every game he is available yet can miss 10 tackles in some games, get dragged over the sideline (can't remember the last time I saw a lock or even a second rower get put on the bitch like that), throw passes into row 10. Yet is never mentioned by Pay except for praise.

Elliots efforts are consistent I will give him that but his ceiling is low and brain farts are at the higher end of the spectrum.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't know why RFM was dropped, but some other reasons could be failing in the "effort areas" or attitude at training. I wanted to start the season with RFM coming off the bench due to us having Jackson, Martin (which at the time I had above CHN, not anymore of course) and CHN in the Second Row already. I'm a little surprised it took Pay this long to have RFM playing this/that role, but last week he looked very impressive there. I'd like to see RFM having more minutes, probably around 30. We literally don't need to sign a player like Ese'ese if RFM can excel in this role, but he only has 3 more games to show it.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely it is unfair to hold RFM to different standards than Pay's pets.

Elliot gets huge minutes every game he is available yet can miss 10 tackles in some games, get dragged over the sideline (can't remember the last time I saw a lock or even a second rower get put on the bitch like that), throw passes into row 10. Yet is never mentioned by Pay except for praise.

Elliots efforts are consistent I will give him that but his ceiling is low and brain farts are at the higher end of the spectrum.
Pay’s pets is just a saying wankers who are too dumb to understand the situation Dib, Castle & Hasler left us in and who think they are at training every day and know better than the coaching staff.
Remember when CHN got dropped? People here carried on like pork chops but he worked on his defense and has come back much better

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Per minute Tolman averages 0.59 tackles, RFM 0.52. Napa, Elliott, Jackson, CHN are all below 50. Napa the worst. Either way, RFM is pulling his weight.
Thank you. It sounds like he’s working hard which is great. I’m not alone in thinking he wasn’t pulling his weight and had poor involvement. A lot of people here were happy to see him go to the dragons. I like him as a player and hope he holds down a first grade spot if his effort is consistent now

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't know why RFM was dropped, but some other reasons could be failing in the "effort areas" or attitude at training. I wanted to start the season with RFM coming off the bench due to us having Jackson, Martin (which at the time I had above CHN, not anymore of course) and CHN in the Second Row already. I'm a little surprised it took Pay this long to have RFM playing this/that role, but last week he looked very impressive there. I'd like to see RFM having more minutes, probably around 30. We literally don't need to sign a player like Ese'ese if RFM can excel in this role, but he only has 3 more games to show it.
Yes let's get the best out of the players we already have. They know our club, have bonded with teamates.

Churning of players is unnecessary if we get players that we already have doing the job needed and if RFM fulfills his big potential and adds consistency, what he brings is desperately needed and shows good coaching.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay’s pets is just a saying wankers who are too dumb to understand the situation Dib, Castle & Hasler left us in and who think they are at training every day and know better than the coaching staff.
Remember when CHN got dropped? People here carried on like pork chops but he worked on his defense and has come back much better
What a load of crap.

CHN still misses tackles but he doesn't miss anywhere near as much as Adam idiot.

RFM got dropped immediately for an offload that was intercepted, for no other reason but that offload. Adam idiot runs to the sideline and gets pushed out by a winger.

To seriously suggest that keeping adam idiot in the starting lineup over some of our other players purely because we "are too dumb to understand the situation Dib, Castle & Hasler left us in" is the stupidest reasoning I've seen on this forum.