Reynolds offers Lichaa support after benching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
http://www.nrl.com/reynolds-offers-...nching/tabid/10874/newsid/105741/default.aspx

Canterbury five-eighth Josh Reynolds sought out club No.9 Michael Lichaa immediately after the rake was benched for the majority of an impressive 24-9 Good Friday win over South Sydney to deliver a message of support and empathy.

The recent emergence of halfback Matt Frawley – coinciding with a form reversal and three-game winning run for the Dogs – has cast doubt over the role of incumbents Lichaa, Reynolds and Moses Mbye moving forward.

‌Following an impressive debut in a Round 5 win over Brisbane, Frawley was retained on the bench by coach Des Hasler and played most of the win against Newcastle when fullback Brad Abbey was concussed early. However his third game saw him replace Lichaa at the 25-minute mark with Mbye finishing out the game at hooker with the team coming home strongly against the Rabbitohs.

"'Lich' would be a bit disappointed at not getting much game time [against Souths]," Reynolds told NRL.com.

"I had words with him and I just told him to keep his head up because I've been in that same position [in 2015] with the three of us in there."

Reynolds is referring to a similar log-jam between himself, Lichaa, Mbye and now-Newcastle halfback Trent Hodkinson that saw Reynolds start four games from the bench in 2015. The fourth, and clearly the toughest for the proud Belmore local, was the famous "Back to Belmore" ambush over the Storm.

Fan favourite Reynolds was forced to watch on for three quarters of the game as his teammates put the Storm to the sword in front of a baying, parochial crowd in the first match at the old suburban ground in 17 years.

"[Lichaa] is a big man, he can know what's good for the team but it's at that time Des made a decision and he happened to be the one that came off this time but he'll be sweet, he's mentally strong and he'll come back from that game," Reynolds said.

Reynolds said the current situation "sucks" for Lichaa – who he insisted doesn't deserve the criticism that has been coming his way lately – but backed the off-contract 23-year-old to gain extra motivation from the benching.

Of his own budding on-field partnership with close mate Frawley, Reynolds offered enthusiastic praise whilst also being careful not to imply either of Mbye or Lichaa are putting in inferior performances.

"Frawls is doing amazing things for this team and that's not hidden, he comes on and just got so much control," Reynolds said.

"It would help any five-eighth, wouldn't it? It's not that he's doing something that Moses isn't or whatever.

"He's doing his part for the team and I'm just making sure I'm doing everything I can for the team but you put two and two together and it does help me out. The bigger picture is looking good."

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually feel sorry for Lichaa and I admit I've bagged him big time in the past but there's a lot wrong with his game, he makes bad decisions his passing is below par and his running is not good enough, and he has no kicking game at all and saying all that he has had plenty of time to work on his game but I've only seen a bit of improvement, you can only give a player so many chances and Lichaa has had enough chances to prove his worth, unless there's a 90% improvement he has to be released at the end of the season.

Reactions: DT

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lichaa doesn't realise that his biggest supporter is killing his career . Like Trex

Reactions: DT

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler turned this guy into a tackling machine. Any skills he might of had were trained ouf of him.

His stubborness with players being in certain positions has made alot of players look much worse than they actually are.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa is horrible. I don't care how much Hasler has supposed to have ruined his career. There is no way on earth that Hasler told him to pass like SHIT. What about that pass to no one the other day? Lmao just sums up his passing game tbh.

Sure Hasler may have ruined his running game but just the basic pass from the ground? Yeah nah.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needed a mentor, not just chucked into first grade.

Moses looked slick at hooker. He looks smart there.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Got a question for anyone that was at the game. How was Moses positioning while playing hooker? On the TV it looked like he kinda just cruised into dh with little trouble. Noticed he handled the ball 66 times in the second half which is more than Lichaa has handled the ball in a single half of footy this year.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa is horrible. I don't care how much Hasler has supposed to have ruined his career. There is no way on earth that Hasler told him to pass like SHIT. What about that pass to no one the other day? Lmao just sums up his passing game tbh.

Sure Hasler may have ruined his running game but just the basic pass from the ground? Yeah nah.
But Hasler didn't inherit this player. He made a choice to release Ennis to sign him. If his passing was always poor why did he choose to sign him.

Agree his passing ain't great but alot on here thought Ennis' game was also below standard.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But Hasler didn't inherit this player. He made a choice to release Ennis to sign him. If his passing was always poor why did he choose to sign him.

Agree his passing ain't great but alot on here thought Ennis' game was also below standard.

absolutely , specially the point about ennis.

heard it all the same over here about ennis, too slow to pass, cant kick, holding the team back blah blah blah

but one noteable difference between liccha and Ennis of Bulldogs is when liccha comes off the field we play better, but when ever ennis came off the field we played shit house.

so even with shackles on Ennis was heaps better than Liccha.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Well if we're going to bag his passing game don't let renoylds get off lightly.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The breaking point I believe was when he threw a few passes to no one and got hooked. Mbye is much crisper at DH. Can't blame Des for those things lichaa does

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Yeah I agree. Surely they would have seen what we all can see, and that's a terrible pass.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's obvious Reynolds prefers Frawley at 7

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lichaa over ennis I still shake my head in disappointment over that foolish fuck up

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a fill in hooker is a better hooker than your No 1 choice, you start to wonder whether the lunatics are in charge of the asylum.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Difference between Mbye and Lichaa...

Lichaa follows Des game plan to a tee and listens to Graham over anyone else when it comes time to call for the ball, doesn't think for himself and/or plays whats in front of him. Hence his balls to nobody and robotic play

Mbye at Dh plays whats in front of him, bypasses graham and gets the ball to the halfback Frawley or Reynolds when they ask for it and when needed. Is quicker and more dangerous. Goes against what Hasler wants in his hooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.