News Reynolds desperate for Bulldogs homecoming;

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are considering offering former Canterbury-Bankstown playmaker a train-and-trial deal to return to Belmore.

Reynolds and his manager George Mimis reportedly sat down with NRL supremo Phil Gould over the weekend according to the SMH, with the 160-gamer desperate to play one last season at his beloved Bulldogs.

The 33-year-old recently returned from a two-year stint in the English Super League with Hull FC which came to a premature end after a mutual agreement his contract would be terminated.

“Josh Reynolds sent me a text message some months ago that he was going to retire from the game in England and that he was coming back to Sydney and that he’d like to do something with the Bulldogs club,” Gould explained on Nine’s 100% Footy.

“I met him and his manager on the weekend and he raised the issue that he might train through the off-season and see whether or not he was ready to play.

“He’d like to do something with the young blokes and provide a bit of leadership around the club and having a respected old Bulldog around the club might be handy for us.

“At this stage there’s no problem with giving him an off-season of training, seeing how he feels and leaving it up to him.

I said I would speak to the head coach and have him speak with Josh.”

Gould also explained that incoming coach Cameron Ciraldo will have the final say as to whether Reynolds will return, but his acquisition could be “handy”.

“Having a really respected old Bulldog might be handy for us, but I said I would speak to the head coach and have him speak with Josh,” Gould said.

“I’m very protective of senior players as to whether or not they’re doing the right thing or wrong thing by wanting to play.

“I understand his passion for it.

“There’s no problem with giving him an off-season training and (seeing) how he feels ... but I’ll run it by Cameron Ciraldo.”

During his 138-game spell in Belmore, Reynolds was one of the club’s most important players — steering the ship to take the Bulldogs to two grand finals in 2012 and 2014 before leaving for the Tigers prior to the 2018 season.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can't sign a decent 7 for next year would you rather Reynolds or flamingo in the halves lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If we can sign him to a train and trial it's good business, tbh. Literally no risk for us and at very least it would be good to have him around the boys. Nice to see he wants to finish up at the club where he belongs, whether it be on or off the field.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can sign him to a train and trial it's good business, tbh. Literally no risk for us and at very least it would be good to have him around the boys. Nice to see he wants to finish up at the club where he belongs, whether it be on or off the field.
Exactly, a train and trial deal is good publicity, he was a crowd favourite despite his short comings and I doubt he'd even get a run at first grade anyway. The only way he would get a shot is, either he's either playing the house down or we're crippled with injuries. His enthusiasm would be contagious, can't hurt

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What give this knob a right dictate to us?

it's not like he won anything playing for us

F off
What giveS this knob a right TO dictate to us?
He would probably be better than who we have as 7!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is also a feel good story that makes the club look good and increases our attractiveness to potential young players.

Shreksno1

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Exactly, a train and trial deal is good publicity, he was a crowd favourite despite his short comings and I doubt he'd even get a run at first grade anyway. The only way he would get a shot is, either he's either playing the house down or we're crippled with injuries. His enthusiasm would be contagious, can't hurt
7A1356A1-316A-4606-9523-1C5A7161C87F.gif

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bring him in at 14 for the Back To Belmore round. The crowds will collapse the stands. :P

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a train and trial what is the danger/ what impact could this have. Salary Cap none, he is similar to JAC in that he would have lots of energy. I really do not see a downside. Those that do can you please let me know what the down side is. Because in this thread so far I have seen nothing

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
He lost me during his successive tripping incidents and crab style of play. That said, we all know he's a Bulldogs man and depending upon the capacity, our players could do with a massive dose of spirit de corp. It's a valuable ingredient to any type of success.

One would hope that our Top 30 would be that good that we couldn't find a spot for him in playing BUT that remains to be seen. This might just be an exercise to shore up the top 30 with a min wage contract (if he impresses from train & trial) so that $$ can be spent in other areas.

It is a jig saw puzzle.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Literally a no lose scenario....and if JR isn't up to starting a reckon he'd still be a handy bench utility anyway. A lot better than ZDC lol
I agree on the no lose scenario... but lets not even discuss starting on bench. Train and Trial means lower grade until Round X... it will more be for his energy and passion for the younger players. I don't think he will see any First Grade.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Love a good @djdeep4172 thread to brighten a tuesday working morning.