Reusable Bags

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah true money is definitely a part of it, but I still feel that it’s a good move to adjust peoples mind set. The environment is cooked mate, got to make small changes to get to the bigger picture. I’ve been using fabric bags for a couples of years already so there was no change for me. Got a bunch of them for about 80 cents each from a wholesaler.

I think it’s a small step in the right direction for the environment. I’m not a greenie or anything like that but I don’t consume shit that I don’t need, I try live a simple life and it’s pretty easy, just have to be conscious. So many people walking around like zombies just doing what others do. And btw an owner of a large paper goods manufacturer (bags, packaging, anything to do with paper and cardboard) told me that those plastic bags that say they break down quicker than normal are bullshit and don’t break down... but then again that just fits his business agenda.... lol

100% back investment into schools though. So many societal issues can be tempered and eventually reversed if the schooling system has more funds dumped into it. And honestly man some of my friends are teachers and I would hate to leave my kids with them... people are fucked nowadays
If the big supermarkets wanted to make this an environmental decision they could have just completely opted out of providing any form of plastic bags. As mentioned by you there are other durable options available that aren't plastic.

I dare say they worked out what the average spend for a family would be with the standard deviations and priced the re-usable plastic ones on the extra money they felt people would pay on a regular basis. There are loads of stores that have been giving away the same style of re-usable plastic bags for years, so I'm sure that they could have priced them at 5c a bag and still profited. But that wouldn't have helped their bottom line like a 15c bag would. I suspect that in a few months when people are used to paying for the bags the handles will start falling off pretty quickly so they sell more.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're really desperate for a bag, you can find enough on the side of the road, or floating in our creeks and oceans.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If the big supermarkets wanted to make this an environmental decision they could have just completely opted out of providing any form of plastic bags. As mentioned by you there are other durable options available that aren't plastic.

I dare say they worked out what the average spend for a family would be with the standard deviations and priced the re-usable plastic ones on the extra money they felt people would pay on a regular basis. There are loads of stores that have been giving away the same style of re-usable plastic bags for years, so I'm sure that they could have priced them at 5c a bag and still profited. But that wouldn't have helped their bottom line like a 15c bag would. I suspect that in a few months when people are used to paying for the bags the handles will start falling off pretty quickly so they sell more.
Aldi kind of set the pace with their 15 cent bags. And I think its at price point that many punters still find acceptable.

I must say, though, that I'm changing my habits a bit. Tonight, I ducked into coles and bought 4 things. If the bag was free I would have taken it, but I just carried the shit instead.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Aldi kind of set the pace with their 15 cent bags. And I think its at price point that many punters still find acceptable.

I must say, though, that I'm changing my habits a bit. Tonight, I ducked into coles and bought 4 things. If the bag was free I would have taken it, but I just carried the shit instead.
Aldi get away with the bags because their products are cheaper. Majority of their products taste either the same or even better than big name brands.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aldi get away with the bags because their products are cheaper. Majority of their products taste either the same or even better than big name brands.
I agree, some of their products are pretty good and cheap as chips. I love their Buffalo Chicken Tenders, mangasm to that shit!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Aldi has the stigmata of "cheap", and infact the two big supermarkets try to play on this.

I've never had an issue with Aldi... and the big supermarkets are just running scared.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope.. I just take a backpack and look like a suss ****

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nope.. I just take a backpack and look like a suss ****
If you're not Arab you'll be fine, if you're Arab, or look Arab, you'll have the supermarket to yourself.

Well, you and ASIO.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Big W are stupid pricks not giving plastic bags out either. So I always go into Target, buy something, then proudly walk into Big W with my Target plastic bag being shown off with pride (mind you Target USED TO sell plastic bags too, 10 cents each, then grew some brains and stopped this). So... if I happen to buy something from Big W I'll put it in the Target bag :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Big W are stupid pricks not giving plastic bags out either. So I always go into Target, buy something, then proudly walk into Big W with my Target plastic bag being shown off with pride (mind you Target USED TO sell plastic bags too, 10 cents each, then grew some brains and stopped this). So... if I happen to buy something from Big W I'll put it in the Target bag :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:.
Wow... you got em man.... keep sticking it to em....

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Went to a deli the other day and they gave me a plastic bag for my stuff. Was like "WTF? You're not pretending to give a rats ass about the environment while lining your pockets with bags that are pretty much the same shit". Felt weird.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Big W are stupid pricks not giving plastic bags out either. So I always go into Target, buy something, then proudly walk into Big W with my Target plastic bag being shown off with pride (mind you Target USED TO sell plastic bags too, 10 cents each, then grew some brains and stopped this). So... if I happen to buy something from Big W I'll put it in the Target bag.
I might even take a toy off the pegs and turn it the other way. That'll learn 'em!
Remind me never to get on your bad side. :p

Wahesh

Reaction score
Remind me never to get on your bad side. :p
You go for the horses don't ya? Well just don't piss me off then go riding on one. I own a slingshot you know...

Wahesh

Reaction score
Went to a deli the other day and they gave me a plastic bag for my stuff. Was like "WTF? You're not pretending to give a rats ass about the environment while lining your pockets with bags that are pretty much the same shit". Felt weird.
I went and bought something from Kmart today. I went to the checkout and they put it in a plastic bag for me. I said to them "It's not too much trouble for you to double-bag it, is it?" and the lady replied... "Sorry, we're not allowed to give out plastic bags."

So... to summarise for anyone who hasn't caught on... she gave me a bag, and then said they are not allowed to give out bags immediately after.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You go for the horses don't ya? Well just don't piss me off then go riding on one. I own a slingshot you know...

LOL

Big deal, I own this.

I use it on people who use other stores plastic bags in other shops. eg: a Target bag in Big W. :grinning: