News Return of The Bears?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There doesn't look to be enough quality players for the dolphins to assemble a competitive team atm. Good luck finding another 30 NRL players.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The NRL has rocks in its head. They needed to get 2 new clubs in at the same time or none. Of course there isnt enough players for 2 extra teams. They will struggle to fill 1.

How fucked will it be with an odd number of teams for years? I cannot calculate how they intend to make it fair with byes. Obviously 1 team every week has to bye, but 17 teams and 25 rounds means some teams will get 2 byes while others get 1. So who do they decide gets the extra bye fairly? Having an odd number of teams can only be fair if the amount of teams is the same as the number of rounds -1, or double -2 (so with 17 teams 16 rounds or 32, so teams play each other once or twice). I dont see them dropping it to 16 rounds, or being able to fit in 32.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL has rocks in its head. They needed to get 2 new clubs in at the same time or none. Of course there isnt enough players for 2 extra teams. They will struggle to fill 1.

How fucked will it be with an odd number of teams for years? I cannot calculate how they intend to make it fair with byes. Obviously 1 team every week has to bye, but 17 teams and 25 rounds means some teams will get 2 byes while others get 1. So who do they decide gets the extra bye fairly? Having an odd number of teams can only be fair if the amount of teams is the same as the number of rounds -1, or double -2 (so with 17 teams 16 rounds or 32, so teams play each other once or twice). I dont see them dropping it to 16 rounds, or being able to fit in 32.
They'll still have the bye rounds during Origin, everyone will get 2 byes. I like the idea of them cutting the regular season to 16 rounds, every team plays once, then having "Best of 3" playoffs during the Finals.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Each team will get 2 byes. There will just be some rounds where a few teams get a bye, probably around soo.

But year the byes will favour some teams more than others. A bye towards the end of the season will be different to one at the start.

There will be a team missing out on magic round tho

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Each team will get 2 byes. There will just be some rounds where a few teams get a bye, probably around soo.

But year the byes will favour some teams more than others. A bye towards the end of the season will be different to one at the start.

I suppose they could have rounds where multiple teams bye. Didn't think of that. Still dont agree with an odd number of teams. Unnecessarily complicates things as they are not going to get more games played (to make Fox happy). So i don't see the point. We don't have enough talent for 16 teams tbh.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a stupid idea. Their bid isn't likely to win anyway but they should aim to play every home game at Gosford except for three games a year at North Sydney Oval. It's a perfect stadium in one of the fastest growing areas in the country so I don't know why they'd want to play all over NSW. It will only weaken their bid and make it harder for them to develop a fanbase.

According to reports in Australia, the NRL and Nine are set to sign a new five-year deal worth AUS$600 million (US$445 million), which would run until the end of the 2027 season.

A renewal of the NRL’s partnership with Nine until 2027 would see the league line up both its FTA and pay-TV broadcast deals, with the fees strong enough to cover the introduction of the Redcliffe Dolphins expansion outfit. The NRL recently confirmed that the Queensland-based team would become its 17th franchise and will join the league in 2023.

Foxtel, which is owned by Australian media conglomerate News Corp, also recently agreed to inject more funding into the NRL to help pay for the expansion team, in return for the rights to broadcast more exclusive Brisbane Broncos matches.

The sources, who spoke anonymously because the discussions are confidential, said Nine had last week proposed to pay the NRL more than $115 million annually for its free-to-air rights for five years. If Nine’s proposal is accepted it would be the most lucrative free-to-air network agreement in the NRL’s history and provide the league with more than enough funding to accommodate its 17th team.

Always a Bulldog

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score

Let the Broncos miss out on Magic Round. It's a fucking disgrace that those arseholes get an away game at Suncorp every fucking year. Stop the rort.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I suppose they could have rounds where multiple teams bye. Didn't think of that. Still dont agree with an odd number of teams. Unnecessarily complicates things as they are not going to get more games played (to make Fox happy). So i don't see the point. We don't have enough talent for 16 teams tbh.

According to reports in Australia, the NRL and Nine are set to sign a new five-year deal worth AUS$600 million (US$445 million), which would run until the end of the 2027 season.

A renewal of the NRL’s partnership with Nine until 2027 would see the league line up both its FTA and pay-TV broadcast deals, with the fees strong enough to cover the introduction of the Redcliffe Dolphins expansion outfit. The NRL recently confirmed that the Queensland-based team would become its 17th franchise and will join the league in 2023.

Foxtel, which is owned by Australian media conglomerate News Corp, also recently agreed to inject more funding into the NRL to help pay for the expansion team, in return for the rights to broadcast more exclusive Brisbane Broncos matches.

The sources, who spoke anonymously because the discussions are confidential, said Nine had last week proposed to pay the NRL more than $115 million annually for its free-to-air rights for five years. If Nine’s proposal is accepted it would be the most lucrative free-to-air network agreement in the NRL’s history and provide the league with more than enough funding to accommodate its 17th team.

Always a Bulldog

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
They'll still have the bye rounds during Origin, everyone will get 2 byes. I like the idea of them cutting the regular season to 16 rounds, every team plays once, then having "Best of 3" playoffs during the Finals.
Big no to the best of 3 system IMO. We already have enough Yank shit creeping into our sports as it is these days. Soon we'll be having timeouts, 2 minute-warnings and unsportsmanlike conduct for chilli-dog reach-arounds.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Big no to the best of 3 system IMO. We already have enough Yank shit creeping into our sports as it is these days. Soon we'll be having timeouts, 2 minute-warnings and unsportsmanlike conduct for chilli-dog reach-arounds.
They've been doing Professional sport for a lot longer than we have and do everything a lot better. A lot of the problems we have, they've already solved - dunno why you wouldn't borrow from better run systems.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever they do they will need to have an even number of rounds they can't have 25 rounds as one team then would either have 3 byes or only one bye.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
They've been doing Professional sport for a lot longer than we have and do everything a lot better. A lot of the problems we have, they've already solved - dunno why you wouldn't borrow from better run systems.
I wouldn't say having a game of sport effectively end 2 minutes from full-time by having a bloke with the ball drop to his knees in a basic surrender is doing sport better.
Their refs definitely have less wriggle room for corruption than what NRL, AFL and Union does though, that's a good thing.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't say having a game of sport effectively end 2 minutes from full-time by having a bloke with the ball drop to his knees in a basic surrender is doing sport better.
Their refs definitely have less wriggle room for corruption than what NRL, AFL and Union does though, that's a good thing.
Yeah I don't mean the rules and gameplay though. I'm talking about systems surrounding the game - drafts, trades, relegation/promotion (not US) etc.

In the example of a best of 3 play off, it would just be a better product to see (for example) Panthers vs Eels 2-3 times rather then Dragons vs Cowboys in Round 24.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I don't mean the rules and gameplay though. I'm talking about systems surrounding the game - drafts, trades, relegation/promotion (not US) etc.

In the example of a best of 3 play off, it would just be a better product to see (for example) Panthers vs Eels 2-3 times rather then Dragons vs Cowboys in Round 24.
See your point but still not a fan of 'best of X' finals. One shot, turn up on the day or get on your bike. Those NBA or NBL grand final series where one team wins 4 games to zero or whatever are boring AF.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bears are like happy Gilmore trialling for the hockey team.. won’t happen another Sydney team

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes bring back the bears,another iconic logo.. at least it will be one team in the nrl I won’t hate with a passion, bulldogs an bears GF, 1st /2nd on the table for the next decade .. you guessed it, bulldogs an bears :grinning: !!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes, I can switch back to my team
We can merge.

Half of North Sydney
Half of Canterbury Bulldogs

Blue and White Jersey
Bulldogs emblem
Red undies
Blue and white socks
Black boots

Half our games at revamped North Sydney Oval and half at a revamped Belmore oval and 2 Sydney Bulldog Leagues clubs full of pokies.

Win Win Win.