Return of Corey Harawira-Naera should be at Belmore

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are likely be the latest in a long list of NRL clubs punished for doing the right thing.

Former Bulldog Corey Harawira-Naera is reportedly a target of several teams, with the August 3rd deadline for registering players for 2020 approaching.

CHN was de-registered earlier this season after a pre-season incident was uncovered. He and Jayden Okunbor were dismissed from the club and banned from playing NRL.

That said, the incident is not one that will likely see CHN especially exiled from the game in the long-term.

Given the spate of injuries we’ve seen over recent weeks combined with Harawira-Naera’s undoubted talent, there is bound to be interest in acquiring his services should the NRL register his contract.

For mine, the Bulldogs should absolutely have first right of re-signing their former player should he be allowed back into NRL action, especially for 2020.

The Dogs did the right thing in sacking the player. The NRL deregistered the players regardless, effectively making the Bulldogs decision for them.

Therefore, the Dogs should be given the opportunity to re-sign their player on the same terms. If the Dogs should decide to waive that right then by all means yes, other clubs could take their shot should they so desire.

If the Dogs are not given this shot, then CHN could realistically find his way into a more successful side, possibly even on higher pay than prior to his stupid decisions that landed him in hot water.

What type of message would that send?

The Dogs face the very real chance that they become the next club in a long list of being hurt after doing the right thing.

Canberra were forced to sack Todd Carney after a string of incidents. He went on to win a Dally M with the Roosters.

*Deep Breathe*

Sticking with Canberra, they released Blake Ferguson after the player refused to front a hearing and going AWOL. His punishment? A premiership at the Roosters.

AFB is arguably the best prop in the game right now despite being correctly sacked by the Dragons after pleading guilty to assaulting his partner.

Zane Tetevano was sacked by both Newcastle and then Manly after pleading guilty to eight charges of attacks on his former girlfriend. Two Premiership ring.

Where did sacking these players get any of those clubs? Were they afforded the right to welcome back players who had successfully completed their rehabilitation?

The Bulldogs have every right to deny a return to the club of a player whose selfish actions disrupted their preparation for round one as well as putting the club into the media in a negative light.

They may very well thumb their nose at allowing CHN to return to the club, but they should be given that right rather than seeing the player they were forced to remove from the club walk into a big contract elsewhere.

We’ve seen successful clubs like the Roosters and (formerly) the Broncos deny sacking stars despite off field incidents. They’ve signed players returning from suspensions and reregistration and have enjoyed success as a result.

What motivation do clubs have to do the right thing by standing down or sacking players?

Only the clubs and their fans suffer while players post a faux apology on social media, sit through a day of supposed sensitivity training before cashing in and running out for finals footy.

It’s absolutely ridiculous but it happens literally every season.

I already hear it in the comments “you can’t sack a player then expect him to come back”. Somewhat true, but in circumstances where the club has done right by the game or has acted on direction of the NRL, there has to be a safeguard for the clubs.

At least an option.

Otherwise we’ll keep seeing clubs do the right thing in standing down players who have done wrong only to see them return to action elsewhere while the club suffers.

Alternatively there’s going to be a time where clubs simply refuse to sack players regardless of the incident. The NRL will be forced to make the decision and open themselves up to all sorts of issues from club land.

Ultimately, there’s no complete fix for player misbehaviour but something has to be done to allow the club some protection or advantage for doing the right thing.

The Dogs were forced to lose a very talented back rower due to an incident they could not have seen coming, and now face the very real possibility of seeing said talented back rower running around for another club as soon as this year through NO fault of their own.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hard the disagree with any of that but doubt it will happen.

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd love CHN the player back, however I doubt he would want to return while certain people at the club would also feel the same.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club should have the option to reinstate the contract of CHN. Simple. If the club decides not to then he is free to look elsewhere

chrise186

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Totally agree with this article makes so much sense.
If the club chooses to re-engage there contract where they left off. If they choose not to them on the open market they go.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Well we should have first rights we have seen plenty of examples where this has happened Jack Friend is one. Each situation is unique in its own right but CHN is overall a pretty good human being who made a dumb decision and got punished. I think he deserves a shot at redemption and to pay the club back for his mistakes. On top of that we really could use his talents right now... he was miles ahead of any other of our forwards with attacking stats (no I haven’t checked just watch all the games)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dogs will be the losers. Fair enough the guys both lost a season of their careers (if not more). Some are saying okunbor might be done for good. So definitely huge loss all be it at their own doing/stupidity.

But the club is 4-5 million in the hole due to a sponsorship loss. And they do lose especially one player who was one of the few decent ones in the squad. With CHN in the squad and 4-5 decent new pieces around him we win more then we lose. We definitely don’t have anyone close to his experience, line running and speed in our second row.

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Give us your bit of the 2 million dollar sponsorship you cost us Corey and sign a reduced deal for two years and yeah sure come back. If not Fuck off.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
whats the Delay in all this , why has it taken so long ....? Questions im sure we are all asking.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well we should have first rights we have seen plenty of examples where this has happened Jack Friend is one. Each situation is unique in its own right but CHN is overall a pretty good human being who made a dumb decision and got punished. I think he deserves a shot at redemption and to pay the club back for his mistakes. On top of that we really could use his talents right now... he was miles ahead of any other of our forwards with attacking stats (no I haven’t checked just watch all the games)
Club should have been thinking these issues through well before finalising the deregistration talks with NRL.

How dumb would they look now taking him back after the way they let it all unfold.

Was always going to be the case the deregistration would not be for life so they've closed that door.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He'll go back to Penrith

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Can't ever see this happening...

... but if it somehow did happen, the best timeline would be re-signing CHN and then finally moving Jacko into the middle.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Club should have been thinking these issues through well before finalising the deregistration talks with NRL.

How dumb would they look now taking him back after the way they let it all unfold.

Was always going to be the case the deregistration would not be for life so they've closed that door.
I don’t know Wendy I reckon circumstances might favour us to take him back. We don’t know exactly what was said to him at the time by the club. As I said before it’s not unusual the Roosters took Jake Friend back and he was an absolute rat bag in his younger days .

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can't ever see this happening...

... but if it somehow did happen, the best timeline would be re-signing CHN and then finally moving Jacko into the middle.
...and moving on our best forward currently? Not only that but someone with the same heart as Reynolds and Graham? The best thing.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sure if you felt let down by your employer (and publicly too), you’d have to think it’s the last place you’d want to come back to...you’d go to a new employer and start afresh. He’d been shitting himself going to every away game, concerned someone could throw him under the bus.

This one has really gutted me as I just absolutely loved what he brought to the club as a player....

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately it won’t happen, but should.!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don’t know Wendy I reckon circumstances might favour us to take him back. We don’t know exactly what was said to him at the time by the club. As I said before it’s not unusual the Roosters took Jake Friend back and he was an absolute rat bag in his younger days .
Be good to get him back after a public apology and presser about the circumstances as much as possible :grinning:

Thats another thing with the club. Other team players stuff up, they frequently hold a presser and snuff out the goss and innuendo. Us? We fuel the chooks.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The club had no choice bro, as the nrl was de-registering him anyway. They made the decision for the club. I'm hoping behind closed doors we were supportive and have still maintained a good relationship with him. He was our only real gun edge forward. Spewing we lost him.
If i was CHN i wouldn't return back.. as id feel the Bulldogs club overreacted excessively in their punishment against me..