Retro Gaming

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I need to get online for Street Fighter 2 because I would destroy anybody here; haven't been in about a decade 8-)
I once defeated the guy ranked 7th on XBL who was using a lag switch!

He turned on his mic and started smack talking after that!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Back when I was a lad, my siblings and I got the Master System 2 as a Christmas present from our parents. The Master System 2 consoles were on sale due to the release of the Mega Drive. Thankfully this console came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built into it. Now AKIMW was created in 1986, but man it was an awesome game. The graphics were bright, the mechanics were easy, and there were a few vehicles you could use throughout (bikes, helicopter, jet ski), and the music to go with it was exciting as well. I loves the castle stages, particularly the brown castle as it's hidden. There were shops throughout the game where you could purchase power-ups and other items, and there were multi boss fights throughout as well.

There are hidden/secret areas to access on maps, and a secret "continue" mode that a lot of people would've guessed.

Now for a game built in 1986, for it's time, the game is in my opinion the best in the Alex Kidd series.

10/10

1622425544222.png

Wahesh

Reaction score
While on the topic of AKIMW, I would just like to point out that the Japanese Cover Art is far more superior than the Pal regions in every way:

1622425520389.png

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Godfather of all beat-em-up games is Double Dragon. Many people have played this games it was ported across many consoles from the Arcade to NES to SNES to Atari to Game Boy to Game Gear to Jaguar to Neo Geo to Neo Geo CD to PlayStation to PlayStation 3 to Game Boy Advance to Xbox 360 to PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5 to PC to iOS to Android to Amiga, Commodore 64 to ZX Spectrum to Amstrad CPC to MSX to Zeebo to Nintendo Switch to Xbox One to Xbox Series X/S to Mega Drive/Genesis... and of course... TO MASTER SYSTEM.

This game was unreal. The first 2 player co-op game I ever played and man it was something. The ability to fight with you friend against the AI was awesome. Then you can pick up weapons - whips, baseball bats, knives, dynamite sticks, boxes and rocks and the attack with them. The boss fight would always be interesting as you would have a weapon to assist with your attack (except the final boss who has a gun) and it would be everyone for themselves.

The video below sums it up perfectly and why in my eyes the Master System version is the best one.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was a PC kid more than console and was into Sierra adventure games, particularly the Police Quest series:
EDA2C6F8-2931-4600-8052-34AFB0D38203.jpeg

But of course there were other classics like Choplifter
47B0F18D-0B55-4B3D-A936-53E7B976AD93.jpeg

Castle Wolfenstein, which gave birth to Doom:
EE0B8CC0-0BF3-4808-9112-AEF22F0CDF71.jpeg

which was followed by Quake:
55C43C15-CB2D-4A07-A772-0DBEDB5EF6B3.jpeg

Several different flight sims and lots of others.

When I worked at a video store (look it up kids) in the early 90’s, we had Sega Rally, Mortal Kombat and Streetfighter among others that we could get free credits for, so many a wasted hour there too :-).

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Back when I was a lad, my siblings and I got the Master System 2 as a Christmas present from our parents. The Master System 2 consoles were on sale due to the release of the Mega Drive. Thankfully this console came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built into it. Now AKIMW was created in 1986, but man it was an awesome game. The graphics were bright, the mechanics were easy, and there were a few vehicles you could use throughout (bikes, helicopter, jet ski), and the music to go with it was exciting as well. I loves the castle stages, particularly the brown castle as it's hidden. There were shops throughout the game where you could purchase power-ups and other items, and there were multi boss fights throughout as well.

There are hidden/secret areas to access on maps, and a secret "continue" mode that a lot of people would've guessed.

Now for a game built in 1986, for it's time, the game is in my opinion the best in the Alex Kidd series.

10/10

View attachment 24839
This is getting remade. Comes out in a few months.

I am actually stoked. Loved the Mega drive sequel to this as well.

Wahesh

Reaction score
This is getting remade. Comes out in a few months.

I am actually stoked. Loved the Mega drive sequel to this as well.
I know mate, I can't wait for this one to come out. The best thing about this is that it'll have Alex actually eating a hamburger as opposed to the dern rice ball lol. It's coming out on PC too!

#Winning

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know mate, I can't wait for this one to come out. The best thing about this is that it'll have Alex actually eating a hamburger as opposed to the dern rice ball lol. It's coming out on PC too!

#Winning
That was just a region difference.

Asia got the rice ball.
Americans got the burger the fat *****

Wahesh

Reaction score

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was a PC kid more than console and was into Sierra adventure games, particularly the Police Quest series:
View attachment 24843
But of course there were other classics like Choplifter
View attachment 24844
Castle Wolfenstein, which gave birth to Doom:
View attachment 24845
which was followed by Quake:
View attachment 24846
Several different flight sims and lots of others.

When I worked at a video store (look it up kids) in the early 90’s, we had Sega Rally, Mortal Kombat and Streetfighter among others that we could get free credits for, so many a wasted hour there too :-).
I was a space quest and heroes quest kid. But all the Sierra games were great. Also, Leisure Suit Larry.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was a space quest and heroes quest kid. But all the Sierra games were great. Also, Leisure Suit Larry.
How could I forget Larry! Every pre-pubescent boys dream :-). I’ll never forget the ‘Boss Key’ where you could hit CTRL-B and a graph would come up to hide that you were playing at work, but you could only restore a saved game from there or CTRL-F to dial-up the ‘Filth-o-Meter’ :tearsofjoy:. Al Lowe was a dirty old man.

I dabbled in Space Quest but not much and King’s Quest didn’t really interest me. I also bought Codename: Iceman from Jim Walls who did the original Police Quest 1-3 but it was pretty disappointing.

I followed Police Quest right through post Sierra when it morphed into SWAT too. #NerdAlert

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How could I forget Larry! Every pre-pubescent boys dream :-). I’ll never forget the ‘Boss Key’ where you could hit CTRL-B and a graph would come up to hide that you were playing at work, but you could only restore a saved game from there or CTRL-F to dial-up the ‘Filth-o-Meter’ :tearsofjoy:. Al Lowe was a dirty old man.

I dabbled in Space Quest but not much and King’s Quest didn’t really interest me. I also bought Codename: Iceman from Jim Walls who did the original Police Quest 1-3 but it was pretty disappointing.

I followed Police Quest right through post Sierra when it morphed into SWAT too. #NerdAlert
My favourite thing about Leisure Suit Larry was the age verification where it asked you questions that they believed only adults could know. Best one was, "what does IBM stand for?", and one of the answers was, "Itsy Bitsy Men". To this day I still call IBM, "Itsy Bitsy Men"

I remember on other games to counter piracy, it would say things like, "open the manual on page 6 and write the 5th word in the 2nd paragraph". Then they printed the manuals on paper that you couldn't photocopy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My favourite thing about Leisure Suit Larry was the age verification where it asked you questions that they believed only adults could know. Best one was, "what does IBM stand for?", and one of the answers was, "Itsy Bitsy Men". To this day I still call IBM, "Itsy Bitsy Men"

I remember on other games to counter piracy, it would say things like, "open the manual on page 6 and write the 5th word in the 2nd paragraph". Then they printed the manuals on paper that you couldn't photocopy.
Yes! And you could order ‘hint’ books if you got stuck. Pre-internet they took 4 weeks to arrive in the mail - geez we were patient but we never knew different - now I curse when I can’t get an answer in 30 sec :-).