Retro Gaming

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Wahesh

How do you play your old Megadrive titles?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Wahesh

I use Kega Fusion. It can handle multiple Sega consoles so that's what I would recommend.

Last edited:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I use Kega Fusion. I can handle multiple Sega consoles so that's what I would recommend.
How about hardware emulation like Analogue's Mega SG?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Wahesh

I've still got my original MegaDrive console from '91 or so. Don't know if it still works, might have to bust it out one of these days.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've still got my original MegaDrive console from '91 or so. Don't know if it still works, might have to bust it out one of these days.
Wish I kept my MegaDrive II, had a shit ton of games + the 32x w/Doom. Sold it so I could buy a PS1.

Wahesh

Reaction score
How about hardware emulation like Analogue's Mega SG?
I know you can buy the Mega Drive Classics release on PS4 - https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/ps4/239018-sega-mega-drive-classics-preowned

And there's also this on X-Box 360 - https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/xbox360/146187-sega-mega-drive-ultimate-collection-preowned

If you're after a Mega Drive though, you can buy the Mini which was released at EB games in 2019. I'm not sure if you'll find it there anymore, buy there's this one on eBay - 2000 games too - $359 (bargain)! Link (eBay)

I know there were other releases that had 2 bluetooth wireless Megadrive controllers but can't find them at EB games anymore, maybe ebay will have it.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I might get the MD with an Everdrive. More of a purist.

One game I would love to play is Marvel vs Capcom 2 on an arcade.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Chase H.Q. AND Battle Out Run

1628033701021.png

This is my first dual review and the reason I'm doing that is because Chase H.Q. and Battle Out Run on the Master System are almost identical.

Chase H.Q. was released in 1988, and Battle Out run was released in 1989.

They are both vehicular combat games where the objective is to ram the cars of specified criminals. There mains differences are with Chase H.Q. and Battle Out Run are the with Chase H.Q. you have an official police car that's undercover and even includes a siren, whereas with Battle Out Run you have a red Ferrari iconic with the Out Run franchise. Also, in Battle Out Run there is a unique feature of a truck which drives ahead of you. You can drive into this truck while and get upgrades on the go which is quite handy. Another unique feature in Battle Out Run is that you can chose the music track you want to listen to prior to the mission starting.

Battle Out Run even manages to sneak in Mr T as one of the villains.

1628033685966.png

Both games have the standard pixelated 1980s graphics from behind the car and the winding road with hazards and rotating skyline in the background.

Overall, both games have a good mix of being both frustrating and fun. You can't play one without the other.

Chase H.Q. and Battle Out Run - 7/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

Released in 1990, this is the final game in the Alex Kidd series for the Sega Master System.

This game pays homage to the legendary "Shinobi" game released in 1987 on multiple platforms. Like most games in the series, this is a platform game. It has 4 levels comprising of 3 stages each with the 3rd being a boss fight:
  • Downtown Tokyo
  • The Harbour
  • Bamboo Garden and Underground Volcano
  • Hanzo's Mansion
The gameplay is fairly easy. Alex Kidd has a standard sword which he uses for the majority of the game, but there are power ups available. Throwing darts which is throws towards the enemies with unlimited ammo acting sort of like a gun, and also a power sword which when he slashes also acts as a makeshift shield to block enemy projectiles thrown.

A lot of the stages have secret areas to enter with power ups and spare lives available. The game employs a different kind of health system starting with the 3 hearts. If all 3 hearts are taken away by getting hit, Alex loses a life. This makes the game a lot more fun to play because you don't die as soon as getting hit - you have a few chances to complete your move. Once you reach 6 hearts, every heart from then on is converted to an extra life.

This game holds up great today and is still very fun to play. My only complaint is it's too short!

Final score: 9/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
I still play SoR2. Fkn love that game
I've played SOR 1 and 3... surprisingly I haven't played 2 yet, but I might get around to it.

Which platform did you play it on - Mega Drive?

Wahesh

Reaction score
A couple of legendary titles here. Has anyone played Wonder Boy on Mega Drive? Wondering how it differs from the Master System version.