Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Renouf to Roosters

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree he should have kept over them plodders and been given more of a run, but some of his lack luster defence performances, will not be tolerated at the Roosters.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree he should have kept over them plodders and been given more of a run, but some of his lack luster defence performances, will not be tolerated at the Roosters.
Agree, and if that happens, as it should at any club...that he is effectively encouraged and held accountable for his performance, with extra work and guidance, then it shows our slack coaching up as 2nd rate with him.

I had hoped Gus would make a difference for Atoni and prove to be a marked improvement but Gus will just have to do his magic with the rest of the roster :grinning:

Anyway done deal now to Rorters.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Where should I send the Roosters supporter scarves?
Atoni has had his chances.
What makes him different to Brad Abbey or Lloyd Perrett or other examples of ‘the next best thing’ who never was? I wish him well but to suggest he hasn’t been given adequate chances isn’t true in my view.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The bigger picture thats being missed here is the the dogs of war. Games where forward packs are trying to kill each other.
That is where Hetherington nuts are twice as big as atoni's.
Gus would know this.
When he scouted james Fisher Harris, he said to his colleges come and watch this kid, he can't pass can't do this and that he judt wants to kill people, look how thats turned out.
The pack he is building is aggressive, dogs of war.
If you want a premiership understand you need this in order.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The bigger picture thats being missed here is the the dogs of war. Games where forward packs are trying to kill each other.
That is where Hetherington nuts are twice as big as atoni's.
Gus would know this.
When he scouted james Fisher Harris, he said to his colleges come and watch this kid, he can't pass can't do this and that he judt wants to kill people, look how thats turned out.
The pack he is building is aggressive, dogs of war.
If you want a premiership understand you need this in order.
Did you just try and compare Featherington and JFH? LOL WOW.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Where should I send the Roosters supporter scarves?
Atoni has had his chances.
What makes him different to Brad Abbey or Lloyd Perrett or other examples of ‘the next best thing’ who never was? I wish him well but to suggest he hasn’t been given adequate chances isn’t true in my view.
I agree he has been given chances. It is hard when you are not in the inner sanctum of the club, but multiple coaches have not stuck with him which usually says something. From the outside, I always felt that Pay handled his introduction into the NRL poorly and he didn't get the game time that his skill set required and IMO inferior players were used/retained in first grade instead. The same thing he has happened under Barrett so I'm not sure.

Anyway, good luck uso. I was hoping you could have been a solid player with the dogs.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree he has been given chances. It is hard when you are not in the inner sanctum of the club, but multiple coaches have not stuck with him which usually says something. From the outside, I always felt that Pay handled his introduction into the NRL poorly and he didn't get the game time that his skill set required and IMO inferior players were used/retained in first grade instead. The same thing he has happened under Barrett so I'm not sure.

Anyway, good luck uso. I was hoping you could have been a solid player with the dogs.
Pay ruined him. Pay completely screwed Renouf and lot of Renouf's failures lie at the feet of pay

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

That's a balanced view ND.

There's been areas where he wasn't adequately handled and passed over for less talented plodders.

Up to him now to show what he's got, if he has got the ability.

I just think it should be with us next year with Gould's guidance but not happening.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe this thread has got so many replies, it's not like we have lost the next sbw. Lol wow.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No not in the same ball park, you miss understand. His aggressive like jfh not as good as him.
I get he's aggressive, I just don't care considering how ineffective he is. If he was on 150-200k and was a squad player then i wouldn't be anywhere near as frustrated by him...instead he's on double that, has a starting position gift wrapped to him and can seemingly do no wrong according to our coach and some on here. This is also his 5th year of NRL footy and has barely played more than 30 games...bloke is stupidly over hyped.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's a balanced view ND.

There's been areas where he wasn't adequately handled and passed over for less talented plodders.

Up to him now to show what he's got, if he has got the ability.

I just think it should be with us next year with Gould's guidance but not happening.
I too would have kept him. He has everything the modern player needs, unlike Stimson and Napa - the game is beyond them now. I will hate to see him fulfil his potential at the roosters.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Atoni has been playing front row and is off contract- no point comparing him to players still on contract, especially when they play in other positions.

Based on the opportunities he has been given, Atoni’s performances and our overall lack of go forward it seems reasonable that he hasn’t got a new deal with us.

Watching him in the lower grades I thought he might be our next Roy Asotasi, but he has been disappointing - if he has got potential maybe it can be unlocked by the Roosters?

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I get he's aggressive, I just don't care considering how ineffective he is. If he was on 150-200k and was a squad player then i wouldn't be anywhere near as frustrated by him...instead he's on double that, has a starting position gift wrapped to him and can seemingly do no wrong according to our coach and some on here. This is also his 5th year of NRL footy and has barely played more than 30 games...bloke is stupidly over hyped.
Yes agree , but he has a go at least, his game needs to improve or he will be next out the door, he is a future benchy at best. And yes he is frustrating to watch. One Gus will be in his ear already, he will be better as a follower not a leader, Big Avo didn't get much chance but when he did he stood up and had a go.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I can't believe this thread has got so many replies, it's not like we have lost the next sbw. Lol wow.
That's what we're worried about!!!! lol (joke)

If a coach can fully unlock Renouf, then he could be SBW like.

He idolises SBW, as most Pollies do, so he will probably mentor him at Rorters.

He's gone now so no use arguing the toss about it.

Some agree with cutting him and some don't....just the way it is. Club has decided.

Last edited:

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Difference is sbw at 18 was a superstar, this guy is 26.
Give a younger guy who wants it more a chance. Think if your son was 18 19 or 20 odd trying to crack the squad, then you would have a different opinion.