Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Renouf to Roosters

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Barrett, whether he is any better than Pay, but there seems to be "issues" judging from the way they play. Just fall apart until recently so that says something really.

Only thing I know is Gus can't start mending this roster quick enough bc Baz def plays favourites and does not seem a good man manager with some of our players.

I'm sure all of us have had bad managers who don't inspire or who play favourites in the work force when it is obvious those employees are less talented.

Anyway I support promoting and developing our juniors. Its obvious Renouf has talent and has not been brought along sufficiently in the past to develop his skills. First instance was when he was forced to move to FR when he was a 2ndrower. Thats on him as well if he hasn't thrived but Barrett has proved he isn't any better than our past coaches in encouraging talent.

That's what makes a successful coach and sets them apart. Unfortunately we don't appear, at this stage, to have progressed much in our coaching staff from previous years.

I will give Baz his due in building the roster for next year...what he does with them is on him.

Gus' influence can't happen quick enough for mine.
Forced into front row, honestly kids playing weekend footy that weigh half the amount of their opposition play each week and love it, at 26 years old you should be in your peak, I could show you some 17 to 18 year olds that play way harder than him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Forced into front row, honestly kids playing weekend footy that weigh half the amount of their opposition play each week and love it, at 26 years old you should be in your peak, I could show you some 17 to 18 year olds that play way harder than him.
Yes we all know that.
No one is disputing that mate.
The dispute is the way he has been managed.

Reactions: ATT

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That’s ok and I see Wendy is on the anti-Barrett bandwagon too but we are all entitled to our opinion. Let’s see who is on which bandwagon next year when we have some better players and start winning games.

I’ve noticed over the years you’re very fast to defend certain players which is your choice. The fact you’ve singled out one MOM game in reserve grade just proves my point, he’s just too inconsistent. There may be reasons why but they are on him and maybe he will flourish at the roosters. I wish him every success
I hope your right about next year cause right now I feel if you put the whole Storm team in the bulldogs jerseys under TB they will still lose. It’s no secret that I am a fan of Atoni, Averillo and Thompson. Everyone has their favourites! I am very passionate about our whole team and am very frustrated that we seem to be going backwards over the last few years. By the way Renouf has only played 2 Reserve games this year so it’s not hard to point out that one was MOM.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes we all know that.
No one is disputing that mate.
The dispute is the way he has been managed.
He was obviously picked by scouter on size and not ability, a good player shouldn't have to come good at 26 years old, he should be banging the door off its hinges at 20 to 22. Look at victor radley for instance.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But Baz, with all due respect, whether a player looks motivated or not is not a sufficient answer. Renouf has had that same sad look on his face the whole time he's been here.

I've watched him closely this year, vs Souths he was interested, vs Titans (aside from that one incident he is unfairly targeted for) he was interested.
Don't you dare respect me, (I certainly don't respect me:tonguewink:) Mr. PE TEACHER/ ADMIRAL JACKO /2023... firstly Sancho2021/20/Marley/MuttMode is a big boy and we are having a lovely chat irregardless of the fact we differ on our fav lovechild's. I really dont give a flying Palecek if he stays or goes and like I said I was a fan for a long time. He has been here 5 years, at least Hetherington deserves a season and a bit to show what he can do or he can fuck off as well.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't you dare respect me, (I certainly don't respect me:tonguewink:) Mr. PE TEACHER/ ADMIRAL JACKO /2023... firstly Sancho2021/20/Marley/MuttMode is a big boy and we are having a lovely chat irregardless of the fact we differ on our fav lovechild's. I really dont give a flying Palecek if he stays or goes and like I said I was a fan for a long time. He has been here 5 years, at least Hetherington deserves a season and a bit to show what he can do or he can fuck off as well.
In that case, reported 150k, I would've kept the cheaper option and saved salary cap space for better players.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Atoni to roosters is a good thing.
He is one of few players off contract this year to be resigned.

Toosters are paying mininmum wage. There is a reason for this.
Anyone bagging Baz fot lettung him go has rocks in thier heads and are not looking at the bigger picture

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hope your right about next year cause right now I feel if you put the whole Storm team in the bulldogs jerseys under TB they will still lose. It’s no secret that I am a fan of Atoni, Averillo and Thompson. Everyone has their favourites! I am very passionate about our whole team and am very frustrated that we seem to be going backwards over the last few years. By the way Renouf has only played 2 Reserve games this year so it’s not hard to point out that one was MOM.
At least it was conceded we are all allowed an opinion lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He was obviously picked by scouter on size and not ability, a good player shouldn't have to come good at 26 years old, he should be banging the door off its hinges at 20 to 22. Look at victor radley for instance.
You are still missing the point of a missed opportunity of our junior with his development. No one is saying he hadn't helped himself in that.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are still missing the point of a missed opportunity of our junior with his development. No one is saying he hadn't helped himself in that.
Hopefully this is an area Gus is going to rectify for us in the near future!

Reactions: ATT

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Junior development, honestly a lot of that comes from how good were junior coaches, and how good was your local youth competition growing up. For instance a player in a weak comp that stands out could be one of the worse in a strong comp, alot of good players are good before they even hit the pathways programs.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hopefully this is an area Gus is going to rectify for us in the near future!
I'm sure he will.

He knows the cost to the club of putting in the work with these juniors; the contract money we've already paid him, on potential, to be a great player for us.

He was picked then dropped...given small minutes...given little opportunity to gain consistency. Lost confidence, which can be a massive influence on performance.

The expense and effort put in by the club will never be realised here and instead, as many believe ...(at this point)...the bloody Rorters will be the beneficiaries.

All the time, expense and training has been wasted now without seeing his best.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Atoni to roosters is a good thing.
He is one of few players off contract this year to be resigned.

Toosters are paying mininmum wage. There is a reason for this.
Anyone bagging Baz fot lettung him go has rocks in thier heads and are not looking at the bigger picture
The bigger picture? Like signing Featherington on excessively more $$$ to do no more than a bloke on 150k?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Junior development, honestly a lot of that comes from how good were junior coaches, and how good was your local youth competition growing up. For instance a player in a weak comp that stands out could be one of the worse in a strong comp, alot of good players are good before they even hit the pathways programs.
That's on the club as well. Coaching.

I'm just saying it's a missed opportunity.

Your pov is valid as well but you are probably not analysing the poor coaching that played its part.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something off about this whole thing. He was killing it coming through the ranks in NYC and NSW Cup, but in firstgrade he really hasn't delivered that same intensity or strike rate.

Can't quite put my finger on why, but him and Wakeham are in very similar boats.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Myself I would have played him more, but i seen in games where he just let players run past him with out trying to get a hand on them even, so lazy, that is a desire issue, that can't be coached, stop sugar coating his will.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also think of the younger men missing out on an opportunity to play nrl, cause some player can't get there shit together or even try.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Something off about this whole thing. He was killing it coming through the ranks in NYC and NSW Cup, but in firstgrade he really hasn't delivered that same intensity or strike rate.

Can't quite put my finger on why, but him and Wakeham are in very similar boats.
Maybe we don't have strong enough coaching, and mentors, to demand strong work ethics.

We've had fatties, or unfit, or lazy, or poor behaviour, or no effort players for ages and coaches who just seem to allow it all....and then pick the worst of them to play, or coach favourites, over others who do have more talent and need it nurtured and encouraged.

Don't think for one moment that this doesn't have a roll on effect on the roster overall.

There is def something amiss that we hope Gus will rectify.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Myself I would have played him more, but i seen in games where he just let players run past him with out trying to get a hand on them even, so lazy, that is a desire issue, that can't be coached, stop sugar coating his will.
Again ....Renouf has not been the worst at this trait this year. There's plenty of others worse....Waddle, Stimpson. Katoa, Hoppa etc.

We know he has the ability and that could have been brought out by Gus going forward bc Barrett seemed unable, or unwilling, to put the work into him.