Reni Maitua rejoins Bulldogs three years after walking out on club

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
IT has been three years in the making, but Reni Maitua has returned to Belmore for the first time since leaving Canterbury.

Maitua distanced himself from the Bulldogs because he felt the club had “lost its identity” in recent seasons.

Despite the dissatisfaction, he never lost passion for the blue and whites where he played 113 games and won a premiership in 2004.

It’s why Maitua jumped at the chance to rejoin his beloved Dogs when new coach Dean Pay contacted him two weeks ago.

“I was over the moon and it is fantastic to be back around the club,” Maitua told The Daily Telegraph.

“In previous years I kept my distance and watched from a far. I didn’t feel like I wanted to be involved or a part of the club given where it was at.

Reni Maitua has returned to Belmore to help his former club rebuild in 2018.
“I was at the club in 2014 and my comments have been pretty public that I felt it was a lot different going back there.

“But being back at Belmore the other day there was a really good feeling around the club.

“It was like the old days walking around the gym and seeing murals of the old players as people being recognised for wearing the jersey.

“There are also statistics with each player’s accomplishments at the club and in representative football.

“I think it’s something the young players can look up at while they are in the gym and aspire to.”

Maitua credits Canterbury’s culture shift to Pay.

He believes the uncompromising former prop who let his actions do the talking is the perfect coach to bring back the old bite to Belmore.

“It was really refreshing chatting to Dean about what he expected and wanted from the club,” he said.

Reni Maitua in action during his playing days for the Bulldogs. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“He said regardless of the results this year, he just wants other teams to know they’ve played against the Bulldogs when they walk off the field.

“That comment really sat strongly with me and I thought that is a fantastic way to look at things.

“I got to see him play and he was one of my favourite players. He was never one of the biggest players, but the way he defended and his aggression.

“He would just go about his business in a way you respected and I think he’ll bring that same focus and mentality into the current squad.

“Dean has introduced his own system and I know the players are getting absolutely flogged, but they are enjoying it.”

The current crop of Bulldogs are also relishing the chance to have more club legends around training.

This was on display last weekend when a number of players hired a mini bus to drive to Gosford to watch the likes of Willie Mason and Brett Kimmorley win the Legends of League tournament.

Newly appointed Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has already had a positive impact on club culture.
Maitua was also in the team, which defeated Newcastle in the final.

“The most pleasing thing for us as old boys was the fact the current players made the effort to come and watch us play,” he said.

“They came and spent time with us in the dressing room. That gave us older guys a real buzz that the younger fellas should the respect to come and watch us play.”

Premiership-winning captain Andrew Ryan also played in the club’s Legend of League team and is loving Canterbury’s reconnection with the past under Pay.

“I’ve been back to Belmore a lot in the last month — it has been unreal,” Ryan said.

“Dean wants us former players around, whether it be at games, training or in the dressing shed and that they are comfortable doing so.

“They have really turned back the clock in that sense.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...b/news-story/9f90fc4771998cd46329732ea4d4b42d

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Will be great to have Reni around the club, hopefully he does a lot of work with our juniors.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This article was long on wank and short on actual detail.

So, what will Reni's role be at the Club? Fitness? Coaching? Playing? Standing around and talking it up?
This. I sincerely hope his job is something like scraping birdshit off belmore benches.

Didnt this guy try and sue us last time he was here?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This. I sincerely hope his job is something like scraping birdshit off belmore benches.

Didnt this guy try and sue us last time he was here?
I have no real beef with the guy, but it would be nice to know what he will actually be doing. The article is 650 words long and tells us dead set nothing.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have no real beef with the guy, but it would be nice to know what he will actually be doing. The article is 650 words long and tells us dead set nothing.
It’s a secret

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be great to have Reni around the club, hopefully he does a lot of work with our juniors.
Reni feels like a young head on old shoulders. Just appears to be generous with his thoughts and guidance but humble and not preachy/bossy.

I agree 100% he should do work with the juniors.

Love to have a beer with him one day and just hear his stories. Seems like he has good loose ones but also great ones which you can learn from.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

So, what will Reni's role be at the Club? Fitness? Coaching? Playing? Standing around and talking it up?
Have a feeling they were talking about him coming back to play the legends games (only)

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Have a feeling they were talking about him coming back to play the legends games (only)
I thought that might be a possibility. I don;t know how old the article is though, but its definitely a massive wank article if that's what it is all about...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
At the least its a Bulldogs community ambassador type role... Corey Hughes has that same role. Just the other month both were in PNG going around the schools promoting Bulldogs and Rugby League.

Great news that the old players are coming back, and great that the new players when to see the older players play the other week.

*goosebumps*

I've got a really good feeling for next year.

Maitua might drag Mason back too :D

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It all sounds good.. Passion & Culture aside we need Mbye to fire at fullback and the halfback position has a real big question mark..

The coach plays a big role obviously but we also need the cattle and recruitment / retention is key

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
At the least its a Bulldogs community ambassador type role... Corey Hughes has that same role. Just the other month both were in PNG going around the schools promoting Bulldogs and Rugby League.

Great news that the old players are coming back, and great that the new players when to see the older players play the other week.

*goosebumps*

I've got a really good feeling for next year.

Maitua might drag Mason back too :D

Having Mason back would be same as having Des back.

don't want that money hungry hypocritical **** anywhere near the club.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Having Mason back would be same as having Des back.

don't want that money hungry hypocritical **** anywhere near the club.
Completely agree. For mine Maitua never bagged the club in over 15 years. I never heard or remember him bagging us. He bagged the coach but never the club. And stood up for our players. So I have complete respect for him.

Mason has come out so many times bagging us. Reni never made a point when vs us to have a go at the club or fans. And when asked mason said he was a roosters man or cowboys man or any other club that he had an interest in. To Maituas credit he has always says he is a bulldogs man and I respect that.

Guy would be one of the best player welfare officers going around. Especially with juniors. He has one thing you can’t teach which is life experience and I think that will help the 16, 17, 18 year olds coming through. He knows his errors, he knows his mistakes and if he can pass that on to younger kids it can make all the difference not only for their career but their life too. Especially when it comes to depression and what not.

Good appointment for mine.

And a big no to mason. Don’t want him around the club officially again. Especially not in a paid position.

Reactions: TAS

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bring back SBW, he could each the players all about the true Bulldog's culture and teach them how to be loyal.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Dance instructor.

Status
Not open for further replies.