Remember when people said dont get Marshall?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember idiots on here saying Benji would be a terrible signing, the facts are he has more creativity than most of our players combined. Putting him as experience next to a you g Flannagan for a year then at 14 when Burton comes would of been a great move, especially on a cheap contract, people in here laughed at that, whos laughing now

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Marshall needs a first class team. There is no way he could handle or even bother runing our mess.
In the twilight of your career if your good enough you chase premierships.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fact is we were close to signing him. With Foran leaving we knew we needed both a quality halfback and a playmaker. Hill and some of the Board wanted Benji. Barrett convinced others that he could secure Burton. There was a falling out, Hill made some phone calls, and it became obvious Penrith wouldn't let Burton come early, Hill again pushed for Benji, but it was too late, Benji had contacted Bennett and secured a deal. Hill was furious that the delay caused by Barrett had cost the Dogs, then when it became public knowledge that Penrith wouldn't let Burton go early, Hill decided he wanted out as he couldn't work with Trent anymore.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Fact is we were close to signing him. With Foran leaving we knew we needed both a quality halfback and a playmaker. Hill and some of the Board wanted Benji. Barrett convinced others that he could secure Burton. There was a falling out, Hill made some phone calls, and it became obvious Penrith wouldn't let Burton come early, Hill again pushed for Benji, but it was too late, Benji had contacted Bennett and secured a deal. Hill was furious that the delay caused by Barrett had cost the Dogs, then when it became public knowledge that Penrith wouldn't let Burton go early, Hill decided he wanted out as he couldn't work with Trent anymore.
Is this fact? If so what a cl**ter****

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck the continuing whinge fest this year annoys me. I'm not happy about the results we've had on field, but you can't complain about everything for ever. We picked up the best winger and probably the most exciting halves prospect coming through into the NRL for next year and one that is rated very highly on potential for this year. If the assumption was that Burton would arrive this year it would have been a great coup but wouldn't have turned our forward pack into world beaters nor would it have meant our backline were getting everything right from the first game of the year. We're still short a few dangerous forwards and a creative hooker as well as at least one dangerous centre and winger. An aging half probably wouldn't be the catalyst for bringing us into finals contention. But there'd probably be just as many complaints about Marshall being here this year if we'd lost all our games as there are that we didn't sign him. I personally think letting Reimis Smith go was a worse choice but I'm not going to dwell on it. Only the handful of classy sides full of rep calibre talent are having good years. Every other team is regularly copping floggings.

We honestly just need to accept that our fate this year is to be pushing to be a more drilled side for next year. Hopefully we fill in some of the weaknesses with quality and have actually learned to play to some useful structures by the end of the year. Having a sook about what could have been, who we could have signed and assuming that it would have made a massive difference is not really productive.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck the continuing whinge fest this year annoys me. I'm not happy about the results we've had on field, but you can't complain about everything for ever. We picked up the best winger and probably the most exciting halves prospect coming through into the NRL for next year and one that is rated very highly on potential for this year. If the assumption was that Burton would arrive this year it would have been a great coup but wouldn't have turned our forward pack into world beaters nor would it have meant our backline were getting everything right from the first game of the year. We're still short a few dangerous forwards and a creative hooker as well as at least one dangerous centre and winger. An aging half probably wouldn't be the catalyst for bringing us into finals contention. But there'd probably be just as many complaints about Marshall being here this year if we'd lost all our games as there are that we didn't sign him. I personally think letting Reimis Smith go was a worse choice but I'm not going to dwell on it. Only the handful of classy sides full of rep calibre talent are having good years. Every other team is regularly copping floggings.

We honestly just need to accept that our fate this year is to be pushing to be a more drilled side for next year. Hopefully we fill in some of the weaknesses with quality and have actually learned to play to some useful structures by the end of the year. Having a sook about what could have been, who we could have signed and assuming that it would have made a massive difference is not really productive.
i am on board with what your saying but you know and i already know(after just a few months)many people are going to piss and moan and dwell on the past for months Alan sadly they cannot help themselves....

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We as a a footy team have been struggling for some time, and will probably struggle for a while to come, but it won't last forever, eventually we will see brighter days, and the dark days will help us appreciate them all the more.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was all for getting Benji and copped shit for it. We could really use his experience at the moment. He only wanted a 1 year deal and we could have had him for unders.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Benji would of just slowed Flanagan's development this year, Benji's a dominant half. It's clear Barrett's building a roster for the future. We maybe win a couple extra games this year but that's about it. Let's be real Benji wouldn't look like he is at the Rabbitohs here. The club was also confident in getting Burton early.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see how Benji goes in the broncs game in a good side then divide it by 100 and thats how he would be in our side!

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That would have merit if he wasn't a recognised 6 and we had someone there who showed any ability in that position.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should have been signed for a season. He wouldn’t have cost much. Even at 36, Benji has more skill on his pinky finger than Flanagan or our other current halves will ever have. Hill was going to sign him but he got moved on/left and it fell through.

But there's no point dwelling on it, what's done is done and let's just hope Flanagan and co can find their feet and confidence in the coming weeks til Burton runs the show next season.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was all for getting Benji and copped shit for it. We could really use his experience at the moment. He only wanted a 1 year deal and we could have had him for unders.
As was I mate.. our team this year doesn’t have what it takes.. with benji it would have been better without a doubt.. BUT still wouldn’t have had a huge impact on our position. Just would have been more exciting to watch an more hopeful of wining games..!!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah he had a shit game tonight!?!