Remember when people said dont get Marshall?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I remember idiots on here saying Benji would be a terrible signing, the facts are he has more creativity than most of our players combined. Putting him as experience next to a you g Flannagan for a year then at 14 when Burton comes would of been a great move, especially on a cheap contract, people in here laughed at that, whos laughing now
Lol I wouldn’t go as far as to call them idiots. It’s only footy talk.... but I just don’t get the logic of people who still claim he wouldn’t have made a difference for us. He’s just the type of player our backline needs.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, keep throwing Brooks name around. Luke Brooks is not a young half in need of mentorship. He’s an experienced half who doesn’t have what it takes mentally. No senior mentor can change that. If anything he needs a sports psychologist. Same is true of Milford.

The tigers have gone backwards at a rate of knots since he left. They wrrrnt great last year, but they were a lot better than they are now and were in contention to play finals until pretty deep in the season. They may have made the cut if he hadn’t sat out a chunk of the season with injury.

People who say benji is crap are kidding themselves.
I still think he sucks.

I don't care what he's doing in a premiership favorite team, and btw his signing didn't make them a favorite to win.

Look good on him that he's carving up in team full Origin and former players.

I won't keep throwing Brooke's name around, because literally don't care about him or Marshall.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just a couple of things as personally I'm not that concerned we didn't get him, don't think he is crap though may have said pass as he was getting past it.
He would have helped us probably to a degree but we have been poor with little go forward so would not have been that effective so far imo..PLUS he can't tackle..like really he is bad defensively and always has been.
Also I think Grant not being at the Tigers has had as much negative impact there as Benji.

Baz and the club have a long range plan and recently highlighted a couple of times no bandaid solutions hence why it didnt fly, I'm on board with that blueprint.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The thing that worries me is that as good as Burton is, all the pressure will be on him next year. It’s a huge ask of a player that young to come in and run a side as the senior/ dominant half. I really hope he’s up to it. He’s a quality kid, so he may well be..... but our roster could really benefit from some more experience. If not Benji, then Reynolds or any experienced hooker to take some of the pressure off. .
There will be a lot of pressure and expectations on Burton but there has been pressure on him this year and he's handled it well. I don't think that will be an issue.

Benji would have been great for this year and next, and we do need experience from somewhere. Hopefully if we sign Smith/Clark and one of Finucane/Taupau then that will help in that regard.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we had Benji, we would have leaked another 20 tries this year. Let him enjoy his cameo at souffs. I doubt he’ll be in there lineup when there full strength. Maybe a bench spot, and get ten mins max

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Because Baz said he’d rather the likes of Averillo get more experience and we’ll blood even more kids after Round 10. He said he’s not interested in band-aids for the sake of winning a couple of extra games this year.
Benji would have given a masterclass of experience to both our halves...where’s Averillo getting it from now? Flanagan?... Benjis a legend and we missed the boat...so be it!!!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of our biggest weakness is experience, there are lots of times when our halves look like they don't know what they're doing. Benji would've provided that direction needed.

Having said that, I think Benji looks far better playing in a team like Souths where he doesn't have to be the chief playmaker. They've got Mitchell, Walker, Reynolds, Cook and Murray.

He can just be a cog in the wheel and pick his moments. I'm actually happy for Benji, he's been an outstanding role model for kids his whole career and deserves to go out on a high....

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
For anyone that says Benji can't defend just think about how many teams have actually had successful periods carrying a great attacking player who cant defend.

Panthers literally tried to hide Preston Cambell on the wing won a GF doing it.
Lockyer always had a minder.
Maloney won several GF's.
Just to name a few.

Everybody knows Benji cant defend and yet his attacking prowess often outways his deficiencies in defence especially now with the 6 again and faster attack.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For anyone that says Benji can't defend just think about how many teams have actually had successful periods carrying a great attacking player who cant defend.

Panthers literally tried to hide Preston Cambell on the wing won a GF doing it.
Lockyer always had a minder.
Maloney won several GF's.
Just to name a few.

Everybody knows Benji cant defend and yet his attacking prowess often outways his deficiencies in defence especially now with the 6 again and faster attack.
You forgot the biggest cat on the sidelines.

Polish_20210430_111050026.jpg

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of our biggest weakness is experience, there are lots of times when our halves look like they don't know what they're doing. Benji would've provided that direction needed.

Having said that, I think Benji looks far better playing in a team like Souths where he doesn't have to be the chief playmaker. They've got Mitchell, Walker, Reynolds, Cook and Murray.

He can just be a cog in the wheel and pick his moments. I'm actually happy for Benji, he's been an outstanding role model for kids his whole career and deserves to go out on a high....
Agree with what your saying which is why I’m keen on Jackson seeing out his contract. As for halves, our coach was a terrific player and should be guiding them one would hope. Our club struggles to even run shapes, or hard lines. I feel Benji would just have brain explosions with us. Other then this season in a star studded side, has he really done anything in the last 6-8 years?

Malla

Reaction score
We made the right choice not to get him. What was he gonna do on our team? Help us improve our for and against by 6? He's playing well at Souths because they're a great team with a great forward pack.

I personally think hes selfish for coming back a year and pushing out a young player out of the team.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Still a class player. Don’t care what anyone thinks .!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I still think he sucks.

I don't care what he's doing in a premiership favorite team, and btw his signing didn't make them a favorite to win.

Look good on him that he's carving up in team full Origin and former players.

I won't keep throwing Brooke's name around, because literally don't care about him or Marshall.
He carved up last year in a very ordinary team with more TAPG than most of the best halves in the comp and has clearly given souths added depth in attack. Without him in the Melbourne game, souths get absolutely destroyed. Silly to say he sucks, imo. He’s still an elite talent.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I do not think anyone is saying he is not.
Its more that he was not the direction the dogs are heading in.
The problem is our current halves don’t have the faintest idea what direction our attack should be headed in.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There will be a lot of pressure and expectations on Burton but there has been pressure on him this year and he's handled it well. I don't think that will be an issue.

Benji would have been great for this year and next, and we do need experience from somewhere. Hopefully if we sign Smith/Clark and one of Finucane/Taupau then that will help in that regard.
Yeah, man. I hope so. I’d love to hear we’d landed Clark and Tapau tbh (just because we have more options at lock than at prop).