Religious Discussion Thread

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Always fascinated where such prohibitions come from. Someone at some point made the call and it ended up in a book or whatever. You'll never work who made the call but why.... Reckon it might be because poorly processed pork is a disease hotpot and some of it can be spread. Wise move at the time but since then....
It was the Prophet Samuel L. Jackson who said, "pigs are a filthy animal, and I don't eat filthy animals", and then it became scripture

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
It was the Prophet Samuel L. Jackson who said, "pigs are a filthy animal, and I don't eat filthy animals", and then it became scripture
But he also said in response to what if the pig had personality...
Well, we'd have to be talkin' 'bout one charmin' motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charming that that.

So you can eat Babe.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always fascinated where such prohibitions come from. Someone at some point made the call and it ended up in a book or whatever. You'll never work who made the call but why.... Reckon it might be because poorly processed pork is a disease hotpot and some of it can be spread. Wise move at the time but since then....
The prohibition is in jewish religion for along time as well. Which raises interesting questions (that I'm not answering) about the belief in abrahamic concepts and the proximity and predating of Jews over Islam.

But I like living so I'm not going there.
Sorry to sound like are know all, its what I've been told
I spent some time in the outback, and was told that pigs can carry a desease, called something like sparagonis, it is a tape worm, and is similiar to a desease found in dogs, and can be passed on to humans, it usually goes in a persons brain
Talked about it with a friend who came from Iran, he said that the desease is rampant in the middle east. So my guess is that some Prophit, saw that eating pork was causing serious health problems, and baned his people from eating it, The jews probably saw the same thing and baned it to.
A ranger told me that the desease is very rear in Australia, and only traces have been found in Northern Tropical Australia. He said that it is safe to eat wild pork even up North if it is well cooked

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Sorry to sound like are know all, its what I've been told
I spent some time in the outback, and was told that pigs can carry a desease, called something like sparagonis, it is a tape worm, and is similiar to a desease found in dogs, and can be passed on to humans, it usually goes in a persons brain
Talked about it with a friend who came from Iran, he said that the desease is rampant in the middle east. So my guess is that some Prophit, saw that eating pork was causing serious health problems, and baned his people from eating it, The jews probably saw the same thing and baned it to.
A ranger told me that the desease is very rear in Australia, and only traces have been found in Northern Tropical Australia. He said that it is safe to eat wild pork even up North if it is well cooked
Fair enough statement - but thats with modern medical knowledge. Who knows whether someone bought a pig from a traveller, picked up some bug from the person completely unrelated to the pig and next thing - we have a legend.

Mebbe I need help but really dig weird bugs that infect brain tissue - my fave is nagleria fowlerii. Super common, super rare to be infected and super dead if u do get it. Google it - really cool reading....

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. It was a real shame for Kubler-Ross. She started it out with the best of intentions, but she went down the rabbit hole. She was convinced everything was supernatural. Then some dude rocked up claiming to be the head of a church and claiming he could speak to spirits. He said that the spirits needed to possess people and have sex or they couldn't pass on. She believed him. And even after it was discovered that he was a scam artist, she still believed him.
I agree that even the Greatest people have on occassions gone off the rails, having read all the link you posted and have made a hard coppy, I didn't see anything that would discredit her research.
I have heard of a number of reports of people who had "died" talking about their experiences while they were "dead", after been revived,

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree that even the Greatest people have on occassions gone off the rails, having read all the link you posted and have made a hard coppy, I didn't see anything that would discredit her research.
I have heard of a number of reports of people who had "died" talking about their experiences while they were "dead", after been revived,
Yep. But the problem with personal accounts is that they can be fallible, especially when you're talking about a person who is clearly not concious.

It's like alien abduction stories. They're all similar because they've all heard the same stories. So when they have a dream, or a psychosis issue, they see similar things. And there's many more reports of alien abductions than there is of near death experiences. But it doesn't mean that aliens are actually abducting people.

Then there's the fact that while many report the same thing from near death experiences, many report completely different experiences.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW, this was from one of Kubler-Ross' last interviews shortly before she died:

"My only regret is that for 40 years I spoke of a good God who helps people, who knows what you need and how all you have to do is ask for it. Well, that's baloney. I want to tell the world that it's a bunch of bull. Don't believe a word of it."

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Tuffers

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
one for the open minded atheists who don’t just shout words and act like they’ve won an argument. But one for those who actually want to listen to the best arguments from both sides and offer them in a proper civilised debate. Trent horn is a very charitable catholic theologian in regards to debate.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's got nothing on the Catholic version. Pope versus Anti-Pope: The rumble in the Vatican.
Yeah that’s gotten a bit out of hand tbh. I don’t like it at all, there’s nothing the more liberal and more conservative sides who’ve taken it too far and are causing massive divisions. We’ve had way “worse” popes in the past but everyone has stayed together. The pope was never meant to be a perfect figure only Christ is perfect. Look at Saint Peter nowhere near a perfect man but Christ works through imperfect men. I personally don’t agree with a whole lot pope francis says but I’m not going to unironically become like a 2016 leftist shouting not my pope lol