Religious Discussion Thread

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have heard some interesting interpretations from Theologians that believe that everything in the Bible, including Revelations, was intended for the near future. Within 40 years of the time the books were written. And it was based heavily on the political landscape of the time. Many Theologians believe that the Anti-Christ was Nero, and Revelation was about Nero returning in the near future.
I don't think too much of the OT is specifically about the 1st century. There is a fair bit of it dedicated to the Babylonian exile, for example.

But a fair bit of the NT, starting with the Olivet Prophecy, appear to be about the AD 70 destruction of Jerusalem. "Last days", "last times", "last hour" is a term referring to a fulfillment of prophecy, and careful look at the use in the NT shows that contextually it doesn't always refer to the same thing.

I've not seen too many theologians who include Revelation in that, most hold it to have been written AFTER AD 70.

In the first letter of John it says there are many antichrists, so it has generally puzzled me when people try to pinpoint one person. It also seems to indicate that the antichrists come from within the group of believers.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think too much of the OT is specifically about the 1st century. There is a fair bit of it dedicated to the Babylonian exile, for example.

But a fair bit of the NT, starting with the Olivet Prophecy, appear to be about the AD 70 destruction of Jerusalem. "Last days", "last times", "last hour" is a term referring to a fulfillment of prophecy, and careful look at the use in the NT shows that contextually it doesn't always refer to the same thing.

I've not seen too many theologians who include Revelation in that, most hold it to have been written AFTER AD 70.

In the first letter of John it says there are many antichrists, so it has generally puzzled me when people try to pinpoint one person. It also seems to indicate that the antichrists come from within the group of believers.
Yep, that's why I said that the prophecy was about the belief of Nero returning. For example, a professor of Theology at Yale wrote that there was widespread belief at the time that Nero would return, and that combined with the symbolism points to Nero.

There has been many others that also believe this

And there's even some Catholics that believe that it was possible it was Nero, but there's no way to know for sure:

"...Nero also seems to be a likely candidate in that Revelation 13:3 speaks about the beast having one head that “... seemed to have been mortally wounded, but this mortal wound was healed. Fascinated, the whole world followed after the beast.” Roman historians report that after Nero committed suicide in AD 68, there was a widespread belief — possibly generated through the prediction of a group of astrologers — that Nero was not dead but would return to power soon. After Nero’s death, there were three imposters who pretended to be “Nero Redivivdus” (Nero reborn).

All this being said, its value depends on how one approaches Revelation. If you believe that Revelation speaks exclusively of the future, then Nero obviously isn’t a candidate. Otherwise, everything adds up to Nero"

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I shouldn't speak about interpretations too much though as my interpretation is hated by almost all Christians. My belief is that if the Abrahamic God exists, he likely chose a hands off approach and stopped intervening in human lives long ago. And he likely isn't this all loving, omnipotent being that cares about humans.

But that all comes down to my human interpretations of a God. For example, I look at an apparently all loving creator that slaughters millions because he isn't happy, an all powerful being that deliberately created evil and punished people for what he made them do. These kind of things I find hard to comprehend. But human trying to comprehend a being beyond our understanding is never going to end well.
Its the old analogy. If a being has the power to make you comprehend. But doesn't make you comprehend. He either doesn't want you to comprehend or doesn't want you to comprehend yet. Either way he shouldn't judge you eternally for not comprehending when he knows what would make you comprehend but doesn't do it. That just wouldnt make sense. Would even be quiet sadistic.

And the problem with that analogy is still not evidence of the first premise, being "supernatural being".

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its the old analogy. If a being has the power to make you comprehend. But doesn't make you comprehend. He either doesn't want you to comprehend or doesn't want you to comprehend yet. Either way he shouldn't judge you eternally for not comprehending when he knows what would make you comprehend but doesn't do it. That just would make sense.

And the problem with that analogy is still not evidence of the first premise, being "supernatural being".
This is where I find a lot of it even more muddled. For example, the conversation over a few posts here was suggesting that you can't get into heaven without the Eucharist. As Jesus said:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day"

But I also remember when George Pell said that he believed that Atheists would get into Heaven, and they would only go to Hell if they were purely evil. Being a leader of Catholics, it seems counter to what Catholicism is saying.

Interpretations seem to vary greatly even within Catholicism.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is where I find a lot of it even more muddled. For example, the conversation over a few posts here was suggesting that you can't get into heaven without the Eucharist. As Jesus said:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day"

But I also remember when George Pell said that he believed that Atheists would get into Heaven, and they would only go to Hell if they were purely evil. Being a leader of Catholics, it seems counter to what Catholicism is saying.

Interpretations seem to vary greatly even within Catholicism.
"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth."

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2edgy4lyf le atheists have totally btfo religion, for lyk the quadillionth time. How will God ever recover?

images - 2023-05-11T102306.348.jpeg

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Religious discussion thread. People discuss religion in the religious discussion thread. Catholic troll:

"YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DISCUSS RELIGION!"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You can do better. Look at dogwhisperer. Someone criticised Catholicism, he countered. That's discussion. Sure he occasionally jumps to claiming that anyone asking questions "hates Catholics", as does anyone when you question their core belief. But in this case he carried out a good discussion by providing a solid counterpoint.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I said that the prophecy was about the belief of Nero returning. For example, a professor of Theology at Yale wrote that there was widespread belief at the time that Nero would return, and that combined with the symbolism points to Nero.

And there's even some Catholics that believe that it was possible it was Nero, but there's no way to know for sure:

"...Nero also seems to be a likely candidate in that Revelation 13:3 speaks about the beast having one head that “... seemed to have been mortally wounded, but this mortal wound was healed. Fascinated, the whole world followed after the beast.” Roman historians report that after Nero committed suicide in AD 68, there was a widespread belief — possibly generated through the prediction of a group of astrologers — that Nero was not dead but would return to power soon. After Nero’s death, there were three imposters who pretended to be “Nero Redivivdus” (Nero reborn).

All this being said, its value depends on how one approaches Revelation. If you believe that Revelation speaks exclusively of the future, then Nero obviously isn’t a candidate. Otherwise, everything adds up to Nero"

Nero was an antichrist, not The Antichrist. There have been many antichrists so far, probably more to come before The Antichrist takes power.

That's my take.

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No idea who that is.. you're a shit baiting mod who does what they're told by massa, for free.

There is no value in conversing with Reddit neckbeards. They went outta style in the mid 00's, and either got with the program, or became tranny lovers.

If you didn't suck dick for cock for the janny badge, you'd be Ignored, as all bad faith cucks should be.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No idea who that is.. you're a shit baiting mod who does what they're told by massa, for free.

There is no value in conversing with Reddit neckbeards. They went outta style in the mid 00's, and either got with the program, or became tranny lovers.

If you didn't suck dick for cock for the janny badge, you'd be Ignored, as all bad faith cucks should be.
Have you ever thought of taking anger management classes, or some other kind of therapy? It may really help.

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Have you ever thought of taking anger management classes, or some other kind of therapy? It may really help.
Nah see I read the New Testament 27 times like years ago, probably should brush up on it, but i tend to find that sometimes things are kinda subjective. Everyone has an opinion, they're kinda like assholes haha. Seriously though, I tepidly approve your position relative to your status on the forum lol. Much easier that way.

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
images - 2023-05-31T004131.155.jpeg

Is Kosovo the heart of Serbia? Is Nole wrong for expressing this sentiment? I used to speak with a dude near Belgrade who spoke of the lies of Srebrenica and sent me all this Slav shit.

No idea if it made sense, but he was very insistent the Jews, Muslims and false idols concocted the whole thing to kill of Yugoslavia.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Bahaha. You're definately kakka dawg

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Just want to add if you're truly interested, read Daniel before Revelation as they go hand in hand.

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not being facetious, or attempting to be ecumenical, but I was just choking ( on semen or cock is not appropriate to suggest, but no to both) and I legit couldn't breath. I was sucking big ones. I said the Hail Mary. And I could breathe.

It wasn't some hack, or was it? Either way, big fan of Mary.