Relax - The Stats Tell The Story

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Okunbor, in fact I hope he isn’t picked at all, but at the same time Flambouyant has a point.

I can’t recall Okunbor having any errors with ball in hand this game against sharks.
key part of that is 'with ball in hand'. Great, he mightn't have dropped the ball for the first game in god knows how long. But he was so inept defensively and made a myriad of errors positionally and just showed a complete lack of effort and desire to defend his line. Instead of trying to tackle his opposite winger with the ball, he ran towards his own try line next to the bloke? wtf is that? and the half assed attempt to catch the bomb put up in the first half that was tapped back and lead to a Cronulla try. For a start he didn't know when to jump for the high ball, and then after completely missing the ball he landed and went the opposite way to which the ball had been tapped back... I dont know if his poor defending is an attitude problem or whether he is just genuinely lost out there, either way he's a total liability with defenders running at him, or kicking towards him

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
key part of that is 'with ball in hand'. Great, he mightn't have dropped the ball for the first game in god knows how long. But he was so inept defensively and made a myriad of errors positionally and just showed a complete lack of effort and desire to defend his line. Instead of trying to tackle his opposite winger with the ball, he ran towards his own try line next to the bloke? wtf is that? and the half assed attempt to catch the bomb put up in the first half that was tapped back and lead to a Cronulla try. For a start he didn't know when to jump for the high ball, and then after completely missing the ball he landed and went the opposite way to which the ball had been tapped back... I dont know if his poor defending is an attitude problem or whether he is just genuinely lost out there, either way he's a total liability with defenders running at him, or kicking towards him
Totally agree!

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is there for one reason only: YARDAGE the only big body in the backline who has potential to get our sets rolling.
So why the fck does he do stupid
How so? Okunbour didnt make any mistakes with ball in hand last night. People just use him as an easy target. Last week was different, but last night he wasn't the one making all of the ball handling errors.
Have a look at the lead up to Sharks 1st try.

Clown offloads to no-one 10 metre's out from our own line. In the scramble we lose possession. Sharks go over off the scrum.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People base way to much on trial form. Last year we beat Cronulla. All of a sudden Flanno was the prodigy. Deitz was our rockstar hooker. And we were destined for the 8.

This season we got beat by the Sharks who a lot of people are tipping top 6, smokies for top 4. Now it’s all sack Barrett, sack TPJ, sack Okunbor. FFS get a grip.
last year we only got on top when they put there reserve grade side on, in the fist half they dominated us. The problem here is Barrett kept our best 13 out there for a while, We started getting pumped with our best side on the field.

circumstances are completely different from last years trial.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How so? Okunbour didnt make any mistakes with ball in hand last night. People just use him as an easy target. Last week was different, but last night he wasn't the one making all of the ball handling errors.
correct but 9/10 it’s all him.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Okunbor, in fact I hope he isn’t picked at all, but at the same time Flambouyant has a point.

I can’t recall Okunbor having any errors with ball in hand this game against sharks.
It wasn’t his handling this time… it was his defence (lack of). He actually had his back to the tryscorer from our 10m line right until the Sharks player scored and didn’t lay a finger on him

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burns, Casey, Lumelume.. either of them will be better than Okunbor and they need to decide quickly. If Barrett picks him it’ll cost us the first 6 games and that’s no stretch of the truth!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So why the fck does he do stupid

Have a look at the lead up to Sharks 1st try.

Clown offloads to no-one 10 metre's out from our own line. In the scramble we lose possession. Sharks go over off the scrum.
No, he offloaded to Averilo, who gathers the ball and offloads again, causing the try. Yes it started with Okunbour, and he probably should have offloaded the ball, but its a trial and we were behind on the scoreboard, so I dont mind him offloading.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Burns, Casey, Lumelume.. either of them will be better than Okunbor and they need to decide quickly. If Barrett picks him it’ll cost us the first 6 games and that’s no stretch of the truth!
Burns is not a winger and too slow, Casey is not eligible, and lume is on leave

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, he offloaded to Averilo, who gathers the ball and offloads again, causing the try. Yes it started with Okunbour, and he probably should have offloaded the ball, but its a trial and we were behind on the scoreboard, so I dont mind him offloading.
That i agree with. No problem offloading however the pass needs to hit its mark.

Averillo was 1 metre or so behind Ok's. Ok's pass was at least a metre to Averillo's left.

Unless one has the reflexes of a cat and go go gadget arms you ain't got a chance of catching that offload.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First tackle, 10 from our own line. Dumb offload. Avos pass was fine, schoupp dropped it cold. schoupp had a shocker. I've always wanted Oks to succeed but he can't. He needs to go.

Put Professor Moody in.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Appreciate the time and effort that’s gone into the research here but from my perspective you’ve simply just highlighted that the issues that have plagued as for the past few years are still a major concern at present.

Defensive fragility, poor discipline and an inability to convert possession into points.
Spot on. Who is to blame? I can think of only 1 person.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It doesn't outweigh his weaknesses. I don't think he can be there round 1 and if he does he'll be targeted every week by opposition teams (and fans).
It will be good practice for him then.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The ball also took a deflection from cronulla I'm pretty sure.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn’t his handling this time… it was his defence (lack of). He actually had his back to the tryscorer from our 10m line right until the Sharks player scored and didn’t lay a finger on him
The dumbfu j practiced ball handling at training and forgot how to tackle!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like stats.

These stats are the minor premiers since 2016 and their average season Points against per game, beside it I have our average.
  • 2016 Storm 12.58/ Dogs 18.66
  • 2017 Storm 14.36/ Dogs 18.95
  • 2018 Roost 15.01/ Dogs 19.75
  • 2019 Storm 12.52/ Dogs 19.81
  • 2020 Panth 11.94/ Dogs 25.94
  • 2021 Storm 13.17/ Dogs 29.58
How simple stats like this dont resinate with Barret and Furner, does my fucking head in. We have been on the slide defensively for the last 6 years.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All this doom and gloom over a trial is depressing. So I looked at the stats from last night's game and tbh, it's clear why we lost.

This doesn't automatically mean we're fine. Far from it. But most of you are acting like the world is ending, when it isn't.

Key stats: We only had 48% possession and 67% completions. Anything under 70% is dismal, but it can be easily fixed.

Interestingly, despite losing by 24 points, we made 3 more runs than Sharks and made only 58 less run metres. I'm amazed by that tbh. Like everyone else it seemed to me that our forwards were well outplayed, but when you take our lack of possession into account, they actually performed alright. Post contact metres, another metric of intent and determination was even too. 413:422 us to Sharks.

Line and tackle breaks is where they beat us, winning those by 5:2 (line breaks) and the real critical stat 34:10 (tackle breaks). Missed tackles also killed us 34:10 against us. Add in 9 penalties to 5 and the scoreline isn't surprising. They also were much better on kick return metres, but we had some positives too, making the most metres per set and having a much better bomb defusal.

Basically what the stats say is we just need to be far better defensively and discipline wise, although we got shafted as usual in that area. We were ok in some of the important metrics, just need to be better defensively and complete more. Basic stuff. You also have to remember changing your defensive line significantly like they did (because it was a trial) by swapping Burns for Schoupp and bringing on Casey etc. is obviously going to affect your defence.

This is why you shouldn't get so worried about trials. They are far from a regular season game. Players get moved around, combinations change etc. during the match. The areas which lost us the game are easily improved and will be helped by having a settled team.
I agree and those stats can be fixed. We can fix our defence and its understandable as we have a new team. Sharks were a more established side and just continued from last year. But I think Hynes was good and made a difference. You could tell we lacked a good halfback.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First tackle, 10 from our own line. Dumb offload. Avos pass was fine, schoupp dropped it cold. schoupp had a shocker. I've always wanted Oks to succeed but he can't. He needs to go.

Put Professor Moody in.
So your blaming Schoupps dropped ball on Okunbour. I see the logic. Not. Your just making him the scapegoat for someone else's mistake because you want to join the hate wagon.